Mame/amiga/atari 4 Dingoo Eta?

Thx for the updates Slaanesh, good to see a coder like you support the A320. i'm not a coder at all so I can't help you but if you need something in testing, just let me know.
Just one last thing : what set of Mame roms will we need ?

Mortys said:
Thx for the updates Slaanesh, good to see a coder like you support the A320. i'm not a coder at all so I can't help you but if you need something in testing, just let me know.
Just one last thing : what set of Mame roms will we need ?

Based on 0.37b5 - same as the GP2X/Wiz version.

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:
Rotated screen will be full supported.

The only thing that probably won't be initially supported is screen scaling. The current Dingux kernel doesn't support the IPU hardware (yet!) which is used to do hardware video resizing. By inspection, it seems to produce nicely re-scaled video - IMHO better than the GP2X. I guess this is a pretty subjective area.

One reason the IPU isn't supported is that it supposedly takes 3.5MB of RAM away from the system, which is significant on a 32MB system.

IPU is YUV only. Unless you manage to output YUV from MAME then it's probably not going to be an option. GP2X has a good YUV scaler too, btw.

Exophase said:
IPU is YUV only. Unless you manage to output YUV from MAME then it's probably not going to be an option. GP2X has a good YUV scaler too, btw.

Why are these scalers only YUV input? For video of course. Why not have RGB input? It's an extra expense and these devices are cheap as chips already.

Grumble aside, I should have an initial public release this weekend.

EDIT:

Some other questions: Why am I porting Franxis' MAME4ALL 0.37b5 and not some later version?

Later versions of MAME tend to concentrate on compatibility as the cost of performance. Earlier versions are more in line with the hardware capabilities of our target machine - in this case the Dingoo. These earlier versions have some significant programming speedups which have been removed in later versions. Two examples are the use of internal 8-bit graphic rendering and dirty buffer handling.

The other concern is size of the executable. Currently, the Dingoo's MAME executable is ~10MB - which is pretty big! So if we allow room for the kernel, loading a large ROM, and MAME's run time memory requirements you can see we are already pushing the envelope for the biggest size games.
Later versions of MAME with ALL the drivers included can easily reach a size of 40-60MB - more than the amount of RAM available to the Dingoo (which is 32MB).

So basically we're talking trade-offs here. There are other concerns too which I won't go into now.

Anyway, newer handheld consoles, like Pandora, will be able to handle much later versions of MAME, so there's something to look forward too ;-)

Slaanesh I'm sorry I didn't keep up with this thread, I'd have sent you an A320 free.

I've just been so busy with other work this last month.

I hope to get up to speed and make a new video for both the Wiz and Dingoo showing recent progress.

I'm currently reviewing the Smart T5 and noticed it has the fastest built in SNES emulator I've seen on a Dingoo(etc.) chipset, or maybe the T5 is just clocked higher.

"
CPS1, CPS2 and Neogeo are included in the driver-set - though the larger games will probably not run due to lack of RAM. All CPS1 *should* run and some of CPS2/Neo Geo *should* run.
Mind you, all these use M68000 and Z80 CPU, which on the GP2X/Wiz have the deliciously fast Cyclone and DrZ80 assembler cores. These cores are not available for the Dingoo's MIPS CPU, so we are left with the standard 'C' language based CPU cores."

great work slaneesh !!!!

i dont think it matters much that cps1/2 arent that fast since the dingoo's emu are quite good, as well as the NG emu.... what i like in ng emulation is raster effects to play Sidekicks 2+3 :)
did you test any hang on / outrun / space harrier yet ????????

thx a lot

craigix said:
Slaanesh I'm sorry I didn't keep up with this thread, I'd have sent you an A320 free.

I've just been so busy with other work this last month.

I hope to get up to speed and make a new video for both the Wiz and Dingoo showing recent progress.
No problems.

If you may a new video, perhaps you can include some Dingoo MAME4ALL goodness. :)

pongplaya said:
did you test any hang on / outrun / space harrier yet ????????
I've only briefly tested Outrun this morning, at the default 336Mhz.

Outrun has not one, but two M68000 CPUs to emulate plus a Z80. It's pretty hard going for the Dingoo at this stage.
I was getting about 40% speed with 10FPS. Okay to watch, but not really fun to play. It might fair somewhat better clocked at 420Mhz, I'll check it out again tonight (my current alpha has disabled CPU speed setting).

slaanesh said:
sataniC Virus said:
Early days, but do you think it will be possible eventually to play some games with vertical aspect (rotated screen) such as Pacman?
Rotated screen will be full supported.

The only thing that probably won't be initially supported is screen scaling. The current Dingux kernel doesn't support the IPU hardware (yet!) which is used to do hardware video resizing. By inspection, it seems to produce nicely re-scaled video - IMHO better than the GP2X. I guess this is a pretty subjective area.

One reason the IPU isn't supported is that it supposedly takes 3.5MB of RAM away from the system, which is significant on a 32MB system.

Thanks for reply man, best of luck with it! Great to hear rotated screen will be supported - thinking of games like Pacman and 1941 which will probably/ hopefully be playable. The Dingoo is really as exciting as the GP32 used to be to me - brilliant to see developments such as MAME on it :)

Thanks Slaanesh! This emulator was the primary reason I got the Dingoo. I haven't been able to install it - since I don't have a linux computer to create the mini-SD yet. I might have to set it up on a friend's PC.

Could someone try any of the following games and tell me how they run or if they do? Ninja Gaiden, Contra, Altered Beast, Narc, Splatterhouse, The Simpsons?

Just a suggestion, Ive seen people saying how there is an issue with loading larger roms. I noticed this when working on the virtualboy port that of course the 32meg games wont load because you just cant malloc 32megs on the dingoo. The gp2x port of virtualboy however gets around this. I havent look too hard at the code but it looks like it may load it in pieces as needed. This approach could be taken or you could try mmaping the roms from disk to deal with the larger ones so the entire thing does not have to be loaded at once. Obviously the larger roms have to be playable since roms >32megs are playable on the original emulators so I would assume they are most likely mmaping as well.

Just something to look into to try to get around the limits. Of course this may hinder performance a bit but I wouldnt think it would be that great of a hit.

Thank you for your suggestion I'll keep it in mind.

I have an idea which hopefully will be elegant and have no major performance issues, allowing some of the bigger games to run.
I'll see how it pans out.

Well I brought it up with booboo to see if there were any other kernel options and he said pretty much the same thing, its either use a swap partition or mmap the disk space

Unfortunately it's not as simple with MAME roms.

MAME roms are not just one ROM file, there are usually many files. These are split into ROM CPU code, graphic code and sound code.
By far the largest amount of data used is by the graphics - especially for the larger ROMs.

MAME needs to decode these graphics into it's own native formats before doing anything.
(The pause that you see before the game start is what's going on here. You will notice that with larger ROMs the pause is longer.)

Bottom line is that most of the ROM can't use mmap as it's converted internally first.

Yes, we could do what other emulators do - write a converter to create a pre-converted graphics dump and then mmap that.
The CPS2 emulator for GP2X and gngeo also for GP2X does something like this. I think the CPS2 emulator for PSP also does this.

I will keep this in mind if my other approach I have in mind doesn't yield any results.

Back