Beta Atari 800 Emulator *almost Final*

streak

Website
www.openpandora.pl
Atari 800 Emulator

What is it:
Atari800 is an Atari 800, 800XL, 130XE and 5200 emulator for Unix, Amiga, MS-DOS, Atari TT/Falcon, SDL and WinCE. Our main objective is to create a freely distributable portable emulator (i.e. with source code available).

Atari800 emulator was written by David Firth in 1995 and released under the GPL. So it was available with full source code in C. The code was written with portability in mind and that allowed various people to create ports of Atari800 for PC, Amiga, Atari, Mac and machines running UNIX-like operating systems

As there were no new versions of Atari800 since spring of 1997 several people (Perry McFarlane, Rich Lawrence, Thomas Richter, Radek Sterba, Robert Golias and me) started updating the last available v0.8.0 source code independently. Later we all got in touch and started working together. I also contacted the original Atari800 author, David Firth, who basically agreed with me maintaining the source code and putting out source and binary releases.

WWW: atari800.sourceforge.net/index.html

Download: 4th Floor Development [on FB Wall]

If you like this release, click like on 4th Floor Development Page

Screens:
Fred_(p1).png

Fred_(p2).png

Misja_(p1).png

Misja_(p2).png

Misja_(p3).png

Awesome!
My favorite system of all time.
I saw this on your page and was hoping you would release it.
Thanks!

Dont' suppose you can stop using FB for the links (or provide external links)? I really hate FB :) Stick it up on repo :) If its not in repo or even apps.download etc, it'll get lost in the shuffle :(

"me" refering to Peter Stehlik, who is a a legend in post-peek Atari community for work in all sorts of awesome things (like ARanym and so on.)

Don't make me log in and get tracked to leach your stuff... ;)

jeff

I share skeezix's dislike for/against/about FB. =)

Still thank you for this emulator, streak. At the moment I am a trying out too many things in parallel. But this will for sure be used by me sooner or later.

skeezix said:
Dont' suppose you can stop using FB for the links (or provide external links)? I really hate FB :) Stick it up on repo :) If its not in repo or even apps.download etc, it'll get lost in the shuffle :(

"me" refering to Peter Stehlik, who is a a legend in post-peek Atari community for work in all sorts of awesome things (like ARanym and so on.)

Don't make me log in and get tracked to leach your stuff... ;)

jeff

You don't have to log in, his wall is public.

Last edited by a moderator:
A, you are right; I checked the FB profile but it didnt' show anything.. didn't realize Wall wasn't selected by default on the link.

So okay, download is okay without FB login ;) (Someone tried to crack my account, so FB locked it out forever. And wel, I hate the whole evilness of FB.com anyway, so why bother using FB for me? ..)

jeff

two quick questions/remarks:

-the pnd is classified in the "other" category instead of "emulators"
-and with a tosec-style naming of the roms, it is very difficult to pick the correct disk images, since all the file names are truncated. Do you think it would be possible to list them in one single column so the whole filename is visible please?

Great emu by the way ;}

Michoko said:
two quick questions/remarks:

-the pnd is classified in the "other" category instead of "emulators"
-and with a tosec-style naming of the roms, it is very difficult to pick the correct disk images, since all the file names are truncated. Do you think it would be possible to list them in one single column so the whole filename is visible please?

Great emu by the way ;}

PND is classified as GAMES > OTHER, because some of categories in LXDE [which im using instead of XFCE] are messed up, so i decided to use GAMES > OTHER than OTHER > OTHER [i have a lot of sh*t in LXDE's OTHER > OTHER menu because of incompatible naming]

"Do you think it would be possible to list them in one single column so the whole filename is visible please?"

not without going hard into source code structure..

Then please put it in the correct category, that is valid for all others, who are using the normal os, please. It is LXDE's fault, not the fault of the user, that is not using it ;)

yeah, correct category should be fromFreedesktop spec: http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

Game -> Emulator

(Also, thats where most others go :)

jeff

One last niggle (I see updated pnd on your Wall, will check it if I get a moment.) Maybe rename to atari800.pnd .. 'atari.pnd' is a little ambiguous, given the number of Atari machines/platforms (2600, 8bit, ST, TT, lynx, jaguar, etc)

Thanks for jupming in there with mcobit and ebt3 as portmaniac :)

jeff

edit; FB in my region is having issues, so I'll post here -- for your chopped up DosBox, I can give it a quick test; make sure you include the djwillis style mouse-hack so that the mouse doesnt' get offset hideously badly.

skeezix said:
edit; FB in my region is having issues, so I'll post here -- for your chopped up DosBox, I can give it a quick test; make sure you include the djwillis style mouse-hack so that the mouse doesnt' get offset hideously badly.

SDL mouse hack [that is included in previos pnd versions ] is not working for me, so i dont really know how i test it if i add it to dosbox ex.

BTW. DosBox EX lost accuracy only with touchscreen. With real USB mouse is ok [real mouse lost accuracy on "hacked" SDL patch in previous dosbox releases.. so i dont know where i should begin.. :/]

@Streak:

To get the lxde-menu right, you can do the following.

First make a backup:
Code:
cp /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu.backup

Now you can edit lxde-applications and for example add

Code:
        <!-- Emulators -->
        <Menu>
            <Name>Emulators</Name>
            <Directory>lxde-emulator.directory</Directory>
            <Include>
                <Category>Emulator</Category>
            </Include>
        </Menu>  <!-- End Emulators -->

to get all Emulator-applications shown in "Emulators" instead of "Others". I added this section right below the one for games, but that shouldn't matter. The <Directory>-line is somewhat fake, as that file does not exist in "/usr/share/desktop-directories/", but that does not seem to matter.

You can also copy over the menu from xfce and start edit that one. It's located at "/etc/xdg/op/menus/xfce-applications.menu".

I didn't manage to modify a complete menu for lxde that is compatible with the xfce-menu so far. But it should be possible. Right now i try to get all those "System"-category-items shown in "System Tools", but for some reason that does not work. I'll report back, if i find out new things.

The same works for the Documentation-section, which was located right under the "office"-section, so i added it there in the new menu-configuration as well:

Code:
        <!-- Documentation -->
        <Menu>
                <Name>Documentation</Name>
                <Directory>lxde-documentation.directory</Directory>
                <Include>
                        <Category>Documentation</Category>
                </Include>
        </Menu> <!--End Documentation -->

StreaK said:
skeezix said:

SDL mouse hack [that is included in previos pnd versions ] is not working for me, so i dont really know how i test it if i add it to dosbox ex.

BTW. DosBox EX lost accuracy only with touchscreen. With real USB mouse is ok [real mouse lost accuracy on "hacked" SDL patch in previous dosbox releases.. so i dont know where i should begin.. :/]

This gist of the fix is to never call SDL_ShowCursor(SDL_DISABLE) and instead call a hidden cursor:

SDL_ShowCursor(SDL_ENABLE);
SDL_SetCursor(hiddenCursor);

So create and set a hidden cursor:

static SDL_Cursor *hiddenCursor;
hiddenCursor = SDL_CreateCursor(&hiddenCursorData, &hiddenCursorData, 8, 1, 0, 0);

and then replace ALL calls to SDL_ShowCursor(SDL_DISABLE) or SDL_ShowCursor(0) with :

SDL_ShowCursor(SDL_ENABLE);
SDL_SetCursor(hiddenCursor);

and when it's time to restore the normal cursor (usually at closing):

SDL_FreeCursor(hiddenCursor);

Hi!
I had tried this nice emu some time ago, and I wanted to give it another go now that I have painfully renamed all my roms, just to realize that it doesn't want to start any longer... :(
I deleted the corresponding folder in appdata, in case some settings files got corrupt, but no success: when I launch it, it shows the first text bubble saying that it is running, and immediately after a second bubble overlays the fist one, saying "thanks for playing Atari800". In other words, it quits immediately :)
I don't know if this is related to HF6?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you! :)

It is working fine on my HF6 Pandora.

This is my all time favorite system (the first computer I owned) and this emulator is fantastic!
It has so many different options.
Want to see something really cool, go to "Display Settings", then select "NTSC artifacting quality" and change it to "NTSC filter".
Wow! It looks really cool on the Pandora's screen!
Then go down into the "NTSC Filter Settings" and toggle through the "Filter Presets" (I like the RGB setting).
Super awesome screen effects!

Back