making an 3d model vieuwer - Help!

Chaosstorm

Still Fresh
Hi,

I would like to create a program where you can vieuw 3d models in it, with .obj or .3ds extentions. ( or more ofc)
and with some basic functions to rotate and zoom in on the model.

but i have no programming skills nor do i have any idea how to make it.
(i also dont know if there are any open source programs that can do this)

And,
- what program should be used?
- is it doable?

i happen to have one (.3ds and a proprietary text format) that i use at home for various mesh and shader inspection purposes. it's open source and multi-platform too (glut-based). only thing is, its project is originally xcode-based (osx), and i haven't updated the linux/cygwin rudimentary build scripts in a while, but if you have patience i'll fix it tonight and publish a new version. actually, i can do a build for you if you tell me what you need it for (and it's nothing exotic).

Well acually i wanted to have some thing so that i can put them on the pandora and then just vieuw models.
(not for the pc but for the pandora)
it doesnt have to have a nice interface, and you dont have to hurry since i dont have a pre-order any way :(

thanks in advance,

Chaosstorm

well, getting this viewer on the pandor will take some tweaks here and there - it's currently running arb_program and ati_fragment shaders, thus neither fitting the es 1.1, nor the es 2.0 domains. and that glut framework it uses will either need to find its way to pandora (would be great, i'm a huge fan of glut), or the framework will need to be rewritten entirely, even though it'd be nothing major either. anyway, i'll keep you in mind when i get my pandora (yes, i have it preordered ; )

oke :) have fun with your pandora when you get it :wink:

in the meanwhile ill watch this forum for all the interesting projects it has ^_^

I also have a 3d modeler/viewer that I plan to improve and port for the pandora when I have mine.

Main function :
  • creation of 2d/3d objects (rectangle, disc, mesh, cube, sphere, ...)
  • creation of lights
  • generation of lightmap
  • multi-texturing
  • usual transformations (rotation, translations, scale), on objects or vertices
  • extrusion or revolution of 2d shapes to create volumes
  • import ase

It is written in C/directX so there will be some work to port it but I will do it. I also want to use the touchscreen to improve the user interface.

:D sounds really good.
Can you also make it able to import .obj files?
So pretty much every software is compatible with it :) ( like 3ds max in my case)
Hmm.. just looked into 3ds max and it can export to .ase great :wink:

for the rest it sounds like a dream :p

Back