Need help making 3D model (split from Banana Pi UMPC, anyone?)

Vaibhav Verma

Still Fresh
Can any one of you please help me by creating the stl model of the laptop since I am student of class 8th and can't do well in 3D model designing So plz anyone help me with the stl files.

Note- I haven't ever used any 3D printer
[doublepost=1535136495,1535136362][/doublepost]Please anyone help as soon as possible.
[doublepost=1535136771][/doublepost]Please if you can help me by designing its 3d model please help. I will be always thankful for your helpfullness

@Vaibhav Verma You know that you should not cheat and do your homework yourself, we need people that know how to do things, you know, real knowledge.
I guess you already searched for it on stlfinder and could not find it (there are a few things you can take inspiration from)?
Now, you can ask Chris Calderone, but I'm not sure he will give it away for free. You can look at the complexity in the pictures.
I am sure your homework does not need to be "perfect", so use your normal CAD (SolidWorks, ProEngineer, Unigraphics) make your own and export it to STL

If your school does not have the resources for those CAD tools, why not try freecad ? It exports to Mesh/STL too...

Found one here for ya, that you can use as a start point:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2516267/files

boy, all files in stlfinder seem to be .sdlprt (a propietary format from SolidWorks)
Ah, with some hoops, you can import dwg into freecad.

Last edited:
When did I said that I searched for it anywhere and still I am only 13 years and since I am a student and from a middle class family my parents can not afford me a UMPC or a 3d printer thats why I wanted help.I live in India if I think of shipping the item from Cris then Shipping cost would be double the cost of UMPC

@Vaibhav Verma Ok. A friend has got a son your age and has the same enthusiasm.

You need to first see what hardware you can obtain, before buying the case. It is ok to know what the end product should be, but always start with the inner parts.

So let me ask some questions first:

0. What will it be used for? For gaming, for fun, for homework, for web browsing?
1. Do you already have a rPI zero, a C.H.I.P. or other hardware? (SD card, HDMI cable, usb mouse, usb keyboard, a monitor, or a TV with HDMI or analogue input)
2. Does it have to be a Laptop? Because a small box out of cardboard or out of metal is much easier. Movable parts are always a risk. Laptops are more expensive than desktops that do not move around.

Much of 3D printing is brittle/not that durable for on-the-go as a laptop requires for use of a13 year old (it really depends on the materials used).
Even with a good model of a printed laptop, you will still have to find an LCD display, and connect it's ribbon without breaking the cable, which is hard (it has to fit, and have some room to be able to bend without pulling it). (and even if YOU are careful, your friends might not be)

You need a keymat for the keys (those chiclet thingies) and either a touch screen or a real mouse (adding a touchpad is expensive).
Touch screens are cheap if small, if you need something usable, you are better off with a second hand monitor...

For a laptop you will also need battery charging hardware, this way your battery does not explode.

Did you check already that 3D printing is cheaper than buying?

3. Your budget. Although if you can find second hand things for cheap, most of what you think in a laptop needs to be bought.

So here are your options:

A box with a touchscreen on top. Maybe even with a wireless keyboard.
A box where you connect all peripherals, including screen/mouse/keyboard. There are raspberry pi's with VGA connectors there are other with hdmi connectors...
A laptop. Do not build, buy one ready. Be careful not to buy an android computer, they can do much less than a Linux computer

I recommend this: Just 50 euro.

Last edited:
You might consider buying a mass-produced project enclosure (i.e. a plastic box) and cutting holes in it to suit your hardware. I know someone who did that with a raspberry pi, and peripherals, with passable results.

If you're generally keen to learn electronics (and engineering in general) I'd advise against over-reliance on CNC machines, including 3D-printers. They certainly have their place, but you can often learn more (and have more fun) with traditional fabrication techniques.

I suggest that the greatest value to be gained from building your own mobile computer is not so much the result (a second-hand laptop will always be more practical) but the skills you gain in the process. Especially the realisation that other people's projects are based on hard work and experience, rather than magic!

Edit: Nobody was born knowing how to use CAD software. The best way to learn is to keep trying!

Last edited:
Back