[mac Os] Gp2x Usb Problem Solved

orangemapped

Still Fresh
Website
www.orangemapped.co.uk
Okay, I got home to find my GP2X all nicely packaged. There are a number of things that could be improved, and whislt I'm disappointed with certain areas of the overall package, I'm sure the console will make up for this.

So, the problem that's bugging me most was the fact that I just plugged my GP2X into my mac (using OSX 10.4) and nothing happened. I couldnt connect. I came on here to find you could download a USB program to sort it out - but that's for PC only.

I was just looking around for my smart card reader (which I'm sure is broken), but decided to try and use the USB cable from a digital camera. I plugged it in, went to Settings (on the console) and then USB - and its worked!

No downloads, no card reader, full access.

Problem solved.

(sorry for the new thread, but I've spotted a fair few people asking about this around the forum. plus, it may work for PC users too)

It worked straight off on my mac mini. My powerbook doesn't automount it, but can see it in system profiler, so it'll be possible to get it working, but I'm mainly going to use card readers, so am not fussed all that much.

I've also tried it under Ubuntu Linux. It didn't auto mount it, but worked fine once I mounted it as a vfat volume (thanks to theoddbot for help on that one via IRC).

Okay, I got home to find my GP2X all nicely packaged. There are a number of things that could be improved, and whislt I'm disappointed with certain areas of the overall package, I'm sure the console will make up for this.

So, the problem that's bugging me most was the fact that I just plugged my GP2X into my mac (using OSX 10.4) and nothing happened. I couldnt connect. I came on here to find you could download a USB program to sort it out - but that's for PC only.

I was just looking around for my smart card reader (which I'm sure is broken), but decided to try and use the USB cable from a digital camera. I plugged it in, went to Settings (on the console) and then USB - and its worked!

Problem solved.

(sorry for the new thread, but I've spotted a fair few people asking about this around the forum. plus, it may work for PC users too)

Does this mean it's true the rumour about bad USB cables? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, lucky I saw your post today, this morning I ordered a sansdisk 12-in-one card reader. I have OSX/Linux only so I didn't think I would be able to mount it when I got it, so that saved me 25 bucks. I have two mini-usb cables so this shouldn't be a problem.

Thanx,
Stan

I hate to de-rail this thread, but I don't want to make a new topic about this either.

I'm a bit concerned about the rumors surrounding 2GB cards. I've heard only snippets here and there, but nothing concrete. I'm concerned because I shelled out 150$ for a 2GB SD at gp32z.com . .

I'd be very disappointed if the rumor were true, because I wouldn't know how to get the Firmware onto my unit if it can't read the card. I wanted to know this so I can buy a smaller SD Card for upgrading in advance.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I hate to de-rail this thread, but I don't want to make a new topic about this either.

I'm a bit concerned about the rumors surrounding 2GB cards. I've heard only snippets here and there, but nothing concrete. I'm concerned because I shelled out 150$ for a 2GB SD at gp32z.com . .

I'd be very disappointed if the rumor were true, because I wouldn't know how to get the Firmware onto my unit if it can't read the card. I wanted to know this so I can buy a smaller SD Card for upgrading in advance.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Where are the rumors of 2GB cards not working? This thread is simply about mounting the GP2X. Or if you use windows it's 'accessing' I guess, some windows users don't know what mounting means when I help them with their computer.

Thanx,
Stan

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=22017

See: 1GB limit old driver willb e fixed soon.

This post wasn't here the last time I checked, at least, I didn't see the part about confirming 1 GB limit. But I guess that answers my question.

My apologies, I didn't have a real topic that would have been related to my post so I figured a mounting SD Card thread would be close enough.

Still, thats a bad issue, I'll likely need to buy a cheap SD card so that I can upgrade the firmware to use my better one. I have a Mac Mini , a powerbook, and two pc's.. I'm sure one of them will connect if I have a card the GP2X can actually read ._.

Problem solved.

Well, sounds good for a powermac user like me ...

Huh, I didn't know about the 2GB SD card being read as 1GB, is that fixed yet? Even if it does take a month to fix I doubt a 2GB card will be any cheaper. You're better off getting a 2GB card now and having it when the drivers are fixed then getting a 1GB now and then buying a 2GB card for more space.

Thanx,
Stan

Huh, I didn't know about the 2GB SD card being read as 1GB, is that fixed yet? Even if it does take a month to fix I doubt a 2GB card will be any cheaper. You're better off getting a 2GB card now and having it when the drivers are fixed then getting a 1GB now and then buying a 2GB card for more space.

Thanx,
Stan

Or better yet, get a 4 GB card and never worry about space again. ^_^

Or better yet, get a 4 GB card and never worry about space again. ^_^
I wish I could justify spending that much, but paying more for the SD card than the GP2X doesn't make that much sense. It's also cheaper getting two 2GB than one 4GB, and it helps keep things separate I would imagine.

Thanx,
Stan

Well, I tried this with my ixus cable but still no joy. Exactly what happens when you plug it in? I can see them damned thing in System Profiler, but no mount...

I'm a total GamePark newbie and am still waiting for my GP2X to arrive, so forgive the dumb question, but is there any real benefit to mounting the GP2X rather than using a card reader to drag files over?

Do you have to be able to mount the GP2X to upgrade firmware, for example?

I'm a total GamePark newbie and am still waiting for my GP2X to arrive, so forgive the dumb question, but is there any real benefit to mounting the GP2X rather than using a card reader to drag files over?

Do you have to be able to mount the GP2X to upgrade firmware, for example?

No, At the moment there is no real benefit in mounting the GP2x as a mass storage device over using a card reader, And yes, You can update the firmware of the GP2x using a card reader.

Trooper

It worked straight off on my mac mini. My powerbook doesn't automount it, but can see it in system profiler, so it'll be possible to get it working, but I'm mainly going to use card readers, so am not fussed all that much.

I've also tried it under Ubuntu Linux. It didn't auto mount it, but worked fine once I mounted it as a vfat volume (thanks to theoddbot for help on that one via IRC).
Thanks for postint that. Im using ubby now.

However, the benefit is pretty clear: You'd be able to upload and download from the PC to the GP2X from any USB enabled PC, no drivers required, and there'd be no need to splash out on an extra card reader.

Basically, if (and when) it works right, it'd make the GP2X a fully self contained unit.

I have a problem, hope someone can help.
when i connect the gpx2 to the pc, it is recognized, i can put files on the sd card, but when i then try to read my sd card with the gpx2, there is nothing, as if there was no card in the console.
Too bad i can't even test anything with my beautiful new console :)

Back