Lost Cable, And Need Format

narmak

Ok, well, i've been away from the gp32 scene for a while, and just decided to hop back in. During this down time, my smart media card has been re-formatted, deleted, and changed about in every way. I have lost all the original software on it, but i have also lost the connection cable. I have a smart media card reader, is it possible to re-install all of this with just a smart media card reader? and if so, how would i go about doing this? thanks alot!

I've tried heaps of times never worked. I formatted as FAT and FAT32 it is meant to be FAT but i was desperate :p than I added the folders didn't work. You have to use the managers. You could just buy the USB cable its pretty cheap.

You could install MultiFW or Pacrom - both have a nice option to format your smc correctly from your gp32 without needing a cable. They will not create any folders, but you can create these later with your smc writer once the file system has been created by the gp.

Squidge posted on Jul 18 2004 at 08:32 AM said:
You could install MultiFW or Pacrom - both have a nice option to format your smc correctly from your gp32 without needing a cable. They will not create any folders, but you can create these later with your smc writer once the file system has been created by the gp.
So does the old official firmware, I think. Go to the PC-Link option without the cable in. Iirc, it should say "Press select to format or A to attempt SMC recovery" or something similar. Hope that helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Slubman cmmander also formats the SMC on the go, and creates the needed folders. After that you can easily use a SMC reader/writer, to copy your files.

Try using the original firmware as Tobriand stated.
If that doesn't work the try putting Multifirmware install files in the corret folders using the card reader (read the readme.txt file and use new batteries)
The official manual says that the format is FAT12. So the only option I could add is to use a digital camera to format your card, if you don't have a camera then surely you know someone with one -- I have done this before and it does work, but will probably depend on the camera.

During this down time, my smart media card has been re-formatted, deleted, and changed about in every way

You'll probably be fine, but I had a weird problem with one of my SMCs after using it in my MP3 player (Samsung "Yepp" or something...).

Neither Windows XP Home, PC-link or GP32 Manager could see the files stored on the SMC by my MP3 player software. When trying to format the card, I'd either get messages telling me that "the card is write-protected", or it would seem to format corretly, but when I copied games onto the card the gp32 refused to play them, even though the directory structure was correct.

This was solved by using my MP3 player's software to delete all files from the card (for some reason windows couldn't see the files, and therefore couldn't delete them) and format it. Then I used PC-link to format the card and copy the games accross as normal, and it worked fine.

This problem had me frustrated for ages. While you probably won;t have it, thought I'd post just in case!

Have fun,
Melville

I'm not sure if you guys understand, or if i just don't understand fully. How will i install the different firmware versions you are suggesting, when i don't have a working smc for the gp32, the card is not formatted correctly, so i am not able to change the firmware.... or am i wrong?

You cannot install things, but you can download a fpk, zpk extractor and extract the files and then put them on your smc.
And normal files can you just copy to your smc.

Back