Lost Usb Cable

narmak

ok, i posted this problem before, but didn't really get a clear answer, so i think i will re-word it for you guys. I lost my usb cable, and my smart media card needs to be formatted. Is there anyway you can get the pc-link program to format my smart media card that is connected with my smc reader, instead of directly to my gp32? After i format it, i think i can install all the necessary programs(free launcher, gpcinema, games, etc...) with the package extractor. Any suggestions will help, thanks.

What firmware do you have?
If you use any of the multifirmwares, you can format using your GP32.

You can also try to format the card using Windows and the card reader... haven't tried it yet, but it may work.

I am using the european firmware, it doesn't seem to have an option for formatting the card. I read somewhere that the gp32 can only read fat12/16 filesystems, and the windows formatter only formats in FAT, NTFS, and FAT32. What might work is if someone could post a backup image of a bare smart media card that has just been formatted with pc-link, then i could restore it on mine, it's worth a try, thanks for the reply.

get slubman comander, it allows formating your SMC (put it on with your SMC reader/writer). It even makes the folders for you!

AND DON`T TRY FORMATTING VIA READER/WRITER! YOU WON`T BE ABLE TO USE THE SMC ANYMORE (since you can´t launch files anymore and you would need to reformat via PC-Link, what you can´t

i'm not sure if you understand, i can't run, or install anything on my gp until i format the smart media card, the card is completely blank, nothing, nada. I can't run slubman commander until i get a working/formatted smc to load up on my gp. Thanks again for the replies.

Just put the right folders (gpmm, gpetc, mp3, gpsys) onto the root of the card with the reader and try installing things from there. If the card has never been formatted you could try with your pc, it's always worked for me. Although Horscht says it doesnt work for him so I'd be careful.

hmmm, doesn't seem to work, is the gp32 usb cable specifically made for gp32, or is the gp32 end a universal port, if so, is there anywhere i can buy the cable without going through gbax? thanks.

evildragon, do you think you could check on the properties of your smc cards, and tell me what filesystem they are formatted in? thanks.

hmm, maybe it is not a problem with my card, but a problem with the gp32. When it used to be up and running, there were times when i would have to load the card multiple times because the gp32 would say there was no card loaded, maybe the card reader in my gp is worn out or something, but thanks for all the help guys. :)

as regarding the cable itself, I found to my surprise that some old cheap ass digital camera I had came with the same shaped connector USB cable...theres a pretty good chance that if you have a good local electronics shop that they could order one in for you at very little cost B)

I have a cable in the same shape too, but it does not work, so far I have only gotten the official one to work. Just FYI, maybe I'm just stupid ;)

I had one card once which didn't work in my GP32, the card reader nor a digital camera.
Formatting using the PC didn't work, Aquafirms SMC recovery did the job,
Amazing tool!

woogal posted on Aug 6 2004 at 07:31 PM said:
AND DON`T TRY FORMATTING VIA READER/WRITER! YOU WON`T BE ABLE TO USE THE SMC ANYMORE
Complete rubbish.
Seriously! that always happens when i try to format my SMC´s with both of my readers/writers! I can´t use the SMC anymore (I CAN put files on it, but my GP doesn´t recognize the SMC), until I reformat it with a SMC recovery tool, or the official FW (with PC-LINK). So this statement above was only aimed at narmak, since he hasn´t got a multifw with a SMC-Recovery prog, nor does he have the USB cable anymore, so both options aren´t useful for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horscht posted on Aug 7 2004 at 02:06 PM said:
Seriously! that always happens when i try to format my SMC´s with both of my readers/writers! I can´t use the SMC anymore (I CAN put files on it, but my GP doesn´t recognize the SMC), until I reformat it with a SMC recovery tool, or the official FW (with PC-LINK). So this statement above was only aimed at narmak, since he hasn´t got a multifw with a SMC-Recovery prog, nor does he have the USB cable anymore, so both options aren´t useful for him.
I guess it has something to do with the windows version...
Some may format using FAT12, some may not ;)

Last edited:
Back