Looking For Clarification....

adrifter

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi, I am working on a game that I eventually want to use as a special project for one of my classes. I am in just the planning stages at the moment because I know that I cant make this game from scratch on my own. Since I dont know GIGAS I have only made real general decisions, because I dont want to become too attached to a plot, or gameplay option that is ultimately unfeasable.

Anyway, I really like what I have seen about the GIGAS engine so far because I can edit it when I have a moment or two when Im not busy on the train etc. Also because what I am working on needs to be dialouge intensive (its a language project). And if i understood the specs correctly speech and cutscenes can have unlimited dialouge, right? (if not, or only portially right could you please explain how it really works?)

I also like that I will be able to import my own graphics, but didnt really follow the process for how to create them in the FAQ.

Is there an online tutorial (other than the faq) which can explain to the layman how to create (or rip) sprites? Any tips you could offer on the types of graphics to avoid even trying to capture?

-what are the graphical limitations of the character animations? (size, pixils, etc)
- how many character graphics can be included?
- how many building graphics can I use? (or are they built from tiles?)

--related to character graphics-- How does the map system work? What I mean is, when i build my Map, is the geography actually represented visually in the editor, or is each area edited in isolation, given a file name and become linked to eachother through some editing convention like a teleport, so that in the game it appears tha the areas are *next* to one another to the player?

--How many Map areas are actually availible within one game?

--These are important to me because I want to create both indoor and outdoor environments if possible. I figure that if the geography of the world exists in the players mind, I could just create maps of *indoor* areas and use teleports etc to get in and out-- but if the map is ever presented visually to the player... this kind of idea obviously would not work.

--How many characters can be used in one map area?

well... I know that this seems like a lot of questions that could be answered through trial and error-- but I have to meet with my professor to make a proposal, and that includes laying out what is and is not possible/practical to implement so that he can approve of the project without unrealistic expectations.

since my project is to create a model demonstrating what could eventually be implemented into a larger game (that I would eventually make myself) I only need to show various ideas I want to implement superficially as examples. So any information--whether you think it is good or bad for my goals would be greatly appreciated.

--thanks

And if i understood the specs correctly speech and cutscenes can have unlimited dialouge, right?

Yeah u understood. :D

Is there an online tutorial (other than the faq) which can explain to the layman how to create (or rip) sprites? Any tips you could offer on the types of graphics to avoid even trying to capture?

Probably, but i just take all my sprites from the internet

-what are the graphical limitations of the character animations? (size, pixils, etc)

Erm, the char size is 24X34, but u need images of the char; facing up, facing down facing left, facing right, walking up, walking down, walking left and walking right. In each of these catagories, you can have 6 frames of animation.

- how many character graphics can be included?

Unlimited- i think, i think you can have multiple charsets.

- how many building graphics can I use? (or are they built from tiles?)

Tiles.

--related to character graphics-- How does the map system work? What I mean is, when i build my Map, is the geography actually represented visually in the editor, or is each area edited in isolation, given a file name and become linked to eachother through some editing convention like a teleport, so that in the game it appears tha the areas are *next* to one another to the player?

Im not sure what ur talking about, but if you have a big map, it scrolls with the character. but if for instance u want to have a building u walk into, you can make a teleport to another map, which shows the interior of the building you just walked into.

--How many Map areas are actually availible within one game?

Unlimited

--These are important to me because I want to create both indoor and outdoor environments if possible. I figure that if the geography of the world exists in the players mind, I could just create maps of *indoor* areas and use teleports etc to get in and out-- but if the map is ever presented visually to the player... this kind of idea obviously would not work.

It works :)

--How many characters can be used in one map area?

As many as u want. In Pirotic's demo, he made a room with about 50 links that you could fight, with no slowdown :)

And check the gigas reource link in my sig for some charsets and tilesets, and dont forget to submit your own!

Thanks for such a comprehensive response! I was so afraid that I would get flammed or something for asking--

I know that section about how the map editor works was confusing, but since Im really new to RPGs (as a player too) I dont know how to really explain it better.

I guess a better way to phrase the question might be " Does the player ever see a map of the game world with all the maps (or large groups maps) condensed onto one screen?"... "is the game world ever rendered in totality?" kind of like these (sorry they are so crude)

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X

*each letter represents a seperate map.

For a map editor with this format... You would want the stuff in area B to the stuff that is supposed to be one map away from areas A, C, and H.

Is that clearer?

---from your answer I think that its not this way (which is good for me) but if anyone could say for sure, id appreciate it. (Also, if you understand what im talking about, but feel im making no sense feel free to make a clearer description... thanx).

adrifter posted on Aug 22 2004 at 11:44 AM said:
Thanks for such a comprehensive response! I was so afraid that I would get flammed or something for asking--

I know that section about how the map editor works was confusing, but since Im really new to RPGs (as a player too) I dont know how to really explain it better.

I guess a better way to phrase the question might be " Does the player ever see a map of the game world with all the maps (or large groups maps) condensed onto one screen?"... "is the game world ever rendered in totality?" kind of like these (sorry they are so crude)

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X

*each letter represents a seperate map.

For a map editor with this format... You would want the stuff in area B to the stuff that is supposed to be one map away from areas A, C, and H.

Is that clearer?

---from your answer I think that its not this way (which is good for me) but if anyone could say for sure, id appreciate it. (Also, if you understand what im talking about, but feel im making no sense feel free to make a clearer description... thanx).
Do you mean like in golden sun,

You can travel the overworld in small scale, then go into the towns. which suddenly become full scale. yes, its definately possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only RPG I have ever really watched is super mario RPG (my brother used to love it... and he was really good at it... fun to watch) so Im not sure about that game or any other... I know its my ignorance... sorry

Ok... maybe if I just ask about my specific scenario... you could tell me if it is possible...

I am trying to create a game that looks likes its based in the present day real world (as opposed to fantasy style game)... and one of the options I wanted to incorporate was having the character travel on a train system based on the one here in Tokyo ( I would create a different city name) but...

I wanted my gameplay to take place primarily in one city...

I want the character to enter train station Alpha... then once inside the station... I have signs that direct the player to train Lines A, B, C etc... and going towards the stairs takes you to a teleport...

you teleport down to a platform area... and walk to the train doorway with appropriate station name above it (each having a corresponding teleport)... this would trigger a cutscene of boarding a train... and then a teleport to that station...

---I doing this because it seems the most plausible solution within the gigas game engine-- obviously you dont need to get into a certain part of a train to get off at a certain stop... but its the only way i can think of to get the player to walk towards the appropriate teleport.

To save time making the system--- I wanted create only one train platform for each train line...

--- you may be wondering why bother, but for my project I want the player to have to change trains at certain stations so they can get to certain areas to accomplish goals. So they will have to understand, and correctly follow the directions given to them. (remember... its a language project).

--I am basically trying to make a game where the player has to use the language they are learning like they would in real life... i figure it would be more interesting than simply studying a language, which would make it more effective.

Of course for this to work... It needs to be a game that is genuinely interesting, plotwise... and I still need to work on that... but I need to figure out the nuts and bolts i have to work with before i can really start to work on that.

-- Does this sound do-able?

Thanks?

adrifter posted on Aug 22 2004 at 02:14 PM said:
The only RPG I have ever really watched is super mario RPG (my brother used to love it... and he was really good at it... fun to watch) so Im not sure about that game or any other... I know its my ignorance... sorry

Ok... maybe if I just ask about my specific scenario... you could tell me if it is possible...

I am trying to create a game that looks likes its based in the present day real world (as opposed to fantasy style game)... and one of the options I wanted to incorporate was having the character travel on a train system based on the one here in Tokyo ( I would create a different city name) but...

I wanted my gameplay to take place primarily in one city...

I want the character to enter train station Alpha... then once inside the station... I have signs that direct the player to train Lines A, B, C etc... and going towards the stairs takes you to a teleport...

you teleport down to a platform area... and walk to the train doorway with appropriate station name above it (each having a corresponding teleport)... this would trigger a cutscene of boarding a train... and then a teleport to that station...

---I doing this because it seems the most plausible solution within the gigas game engine-- obviously you dont need to get into a certain part of a train to get off at a certain stop... but its the only way i can think of to get the player to walk towards the appropriate teleport.

To save time making the system--- I wanted create only one train platform for each train line...

--- you may be wondering why bother, but for my project I want the player to have to change trains at certain stations so they can get to certain areas to accomplish goals. So they will have to understand, and correctly follow the directions given to them. (remember... its a language project).

--I am basically trying to make a game where the player has to use the language they are learning like they would in real life... i figure it would be more interesting than simply studying a language, which would make it more effective.

Of course for this to work... It needs to be a game that is genuinely interesting, plotwise... and I still need to work on that... but I need to figure out the nuts and bolts i have to work with before i can really start to work on that.

-- Does this sound do-able?

Thanks?
Thats is totally do-able, and quite easy with the gui, if you know how to use it.

though i dont know if you could make a cutscene of a train actually movng, but the rest is fine :D

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks man... youve been very helpful... I understand about the cutscene... but i figure that IS something I could figure out later--- i just need to do something that implies time has passed when the player is on the train.

---related to that.... (this idea just came into my brain as I am writing this reply) Is there anyway to make some of the triggers cyclic? meaning... if you start off in a world operating on trigger one's settings... but now you can set off trigger two... which start trigger two's settings....on and and with trigger 3, 4, etc... but at some point the trigger takes you back to trigger one's settings?

This would be useful because I could use it to create the illusion that things change in the city at different times during the day.(edit* and that things are happening on different days)--- I wouldnt need a clock... just setting off the trigger would change something, so that when I checked with someone... the time of day that they answer would be different...

hmmm... sounds a little difficult... but would be useful? any thoughts about it?

---- trying to make myself a little useful here... Ive seen that there is an emulator of the GP32 availible in the download section... Is there a particular reason why this couldnt be used for working on Gigas on the PC until the real way becomes availible?

If there is a reason people dont do it, sorry for mentioning it... but if no one has considered it (less likely now that I think about it) i figure I should at least suggest it..

Thanks...
D

---related to that.... (this idea just came into my brain as I am writing this reply) Is there anyway to make some of the triggers cyclic? meaning... if you start off in a world operating on trigger one's settings... but now you can set off trigger two... which start trigger two's settings....on and and with trigger 3, 4, etc... but at some point the trigger takes you back to trigger one's settings?

This would be useful because I could use it to create the illusion that things change in the city at different times during the day.(edit* and that things are happening on different days)--- I wouldnt need a clock... just setting off the trigger would change something, so that when I checked with someone... the time of day that they answer would be different...

I dont know if it possible. Yet. Maby you could PM pirotic?

---- trying to make myself a little useful here... Ive seen that there is an emulator of the GP32 availible in the download section... Is there a particular reason why this couldnt be used for working on Gigas on the PC until the real way becomes availible?

Unfortunately, GeePee32 is too slow to be able to play anything on it, its made for developers to test out the software they create.

again... thanks for all of the help... it is really appreciated... the sprites in the resource page of your signature might really come in use.

Thanks again...

David

--- Still finding the tutorial to be less than ideal for explaining how to set things up.

I am now trying to convert my bitmap tile format into the .raw files the tutorial states need to be made-- but it does not explain anything about how to use the bmp2bin (it just says edit it, which presupposes i know how to do that).

If i just use the batch files (I have no idea what they are, again contrary to the tutorial) I get the wrong file name-- worst part is, I cant even tell exactly what is wrong when I run the files because I cant read the error messages well because they are in japanese-- I can get a gist of what its telling me

... (basically it says it cant do what Im asking it to--- but since I dont know whats wrong in English, I cant use that to guess at the explanation of why).

(to the maker of this engine, dont take it personal, I understand that the tutorial is only an early draft, and that its mostly my inexperience to blame for why it wont work... but my ignorance isnt helping... haha)

anyone know how to help me out?

Thanks... David

Okay, what you do :

Say you wanna edit The Entity_Graphics

You would chang the bmp filse so it shows your character (dont forget to make the background black).

Then save the bmp with the same filename.

Next, use the corresponding MS-DOS Batch file.

Then, drag the raw file created into the directory of ur game on your gp32.

Hope that helps

well, you can make a cg of the thing moving by havoing a simple 3d movie make and then split the movie into many seperate files , would take a bit but would be awesome!!!

~Octavious

Back