Pandora Looking For A Few People To Get Prerelease Pandoras

Oh, sod it, it's worth a shot.

I've done a couple of projects so it'd be a nice surprise if you thought I "deserved" one. I doubt I'm what you're after, though.

I put PCMCIA support into Freesco (a one-floppy Linux router, although PCMCIA needed more space and it was mainly compiling/scripting existing software into a 2.0.38 kernel) and wrote a ton of tutorials on how to compile things for that (ancient) system.

I wrote STPPC2x.

I've had a couple of patches in OpenTTD (and a lot more that I haven't bothered to submit because they didn't want them).

I'm an IT Manager for schools who is always programming stuff for the networks, things for the children to play with etc. So if you're thinking of marketing these things to schools, I could be a help. I build Linux kiosks etc. for the schools for things like digital signage, parent-kiosks to access the intranet, small science stations that run digital microscopes etc. I also manage the network, so I'm always doing things like setting up Linux transparent proxy/cache's, DNS servers, TFTP/PXE servers, even CCTV-recording servers on Linux that use motion detection software to record movies of any motion.

There's tons of other stuff that I've done, I'm sure, but I can't think of much else that might be relevant at the moment.

Oh, and I normally have shed-loads of time out of work to do stuff like this.

KungPhoo said:
I could find use for one to port GLBasic over.
You can send it to ED, he lives about 5 minutes from here, if you send more to Germany.
Go Gernot! Go Gernot! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I already have a pre-order place but probably around the 3000th mark (was a bit slow to see that pre-orders had started having been on holiday).

As I have discussed on the other forum, I am working (or more specifically - planning on working once I get my Pandora and can test properly) on a Windows CE 6.0 (or newer, depending on availability) build for the Pandora. I already have a Kernel built with the bare minimum components - though obviously I am unable to test! I plan on working closely with the BeagleBoard guys to combine our efforts. I am a member of Microsoft Developer Network and have access to most of the resources needed to make this a reality. The only grey area at the moment is whether I am going to be able to get hold of enough drivers for this hardware.

Anyway, if this is something that the Pandora team think will benefit the community enough to send me a prerelease Pandora to kickstart this development then that would be excellent. However, I appreciate that the main focus is on Linux so I'm not holding my breath. Personally, I think the existence of a Windows CE build for the Pandora would open up a huge repository of available software for the Pandora immediately.

I look forward to any response on this.

Roshua

Damn as much as I'd like a prerelease pandora, I'm having trouble finding time to work on my game as it is, with my uni work piling up :(

I don't want a prerelease Pandora but I would vote for maciek_urbanski, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. :)

maciek_urbanski said:
Of course I've preordered, and when I'll get my Pandora I'm going to reverse-engineer SGX chip (se thread here(link)), but I can work on another stuff too... B)

...and I really want to see, what a good and optimized SGX Driver can squeeze out of the Hardware. :D I've heard that the OMAP Standard Drivers are not the best.

I'm interested. What sort of kernel work are we talking?

Certainly I'd like to do some DSP work/hacking on the device.

I'm interested - Have emailed you.

I've spent the past eight and a half years doing kernel development for embedded Linux devices, starting with the empeg car when I worked for empeg, and now working for an audio brand developing embedded Linux products for which I have contributed substantial work to the kernel for our platform.

I have time, and time before Christmas too.

Very interested in getting involved in this exciting project.

Toby

I'd be keen to work on the kernel (stuff I do often at work anyway) and/or port allegro or contribute in some other way (26 years experience), but really don't have the time to commit to it.
Shame, would have loved to get involved. :(

I want it early, I can program well(but not good at making good ideas for them, except when in the shower or in bed), but sadly no time :(

I hope you guys can sum up a list of faithful and devoted members to work with Craig. :)

Hi,

I'm new here! I'm ok (and getting better all the time) at C++, and would love to make a few Pandora apps and do a few ports.

Please! :) I missed the first pre-order and I don't think I can wait till march

Entire post was written in bold. Removed. Please don't do it again.

Sorry!

We are looking for a few more people to get prerelease pandora consoles who want to work on applications or the kernel. You should be able and willing to devote a lot of time to it, do not apply if you don't have the time to work on it before Christmas.

How much for a prerelease prototype? Or do we have to return them after the release?
Please note that I'm not applying here. Just asking a question.

I've been amateur coding in C, C++ and x86 asm for 20 years, professional coding for 3 of those. I've had ARM9 experience before with the NDS, but due to lack of computrons never released my stuff. I've hacked linux input drivers because I soldered more snes pads up to a lpt than the stock kernel module can handle. I've been using OGL for about 6 years, gnu linux for 10, (LFS since version 3.0), and been using GCC since 95. I'm a bit anal, writing all my code with -ansi -pedantic -Wall, and won't be happy until I get any changes I write into trunk. I can put 2-3 hours a weekday, up to 5 on a weekend.

From what's written I get the feeling you're after wifi, sound and ogl coders, while I have good knowledge of ogl maths (I've written a software renderer that produces equivalent images to opengl, and can be switched with the ogl one on the fly) I know SFA about shaders/programmable pipelines.

While I like the idea of what your doing, I think we're all "proficient gadget twiddlers", and no-one here is afraid of downloading 500Mb flash images every week and spending 30mins+ re-flashing our devices. I mean, anyone who thinks the first 4k devices will be finished software-wise has their eyes closed.

PS. before you get too excited about the 20 years coding C, I'm 27, so i'd say at best 15 years of actual sentient programming.

+1 for marcek_urbanski, the SGX driver thread on the other forum shows that he knows what he's doing and he's on a good track.
+1 for lardman, he's been doing real work on the DSP (and also the Jazelle built-in java support in OMAP2 - I don't know if there's any in OMAP3) for the Nokia devices, as anyone who has followed the maemo-developers list have observed.

Tor said:
+1 for marcek_urbanski, the SGX driver thread on the other forum shows that he knows what he's doing and he's on a good track.
+1 for lardman, he's been doing real work on the DSP (and also the Jazelle built-in java support in OMAP2 - I don't know if there's any in OMAP3) for the Nokia devices, as anyone who has followed the maemo-developers list have observed.
Sorry to post here, I'm no dev, but +1 to what Tor said :)

Would be glad to help as i want to port games on the pandora like Rick Dangerous enhanced versio, Magic puz(release to come for the wii soon, maybe tonight) and much more when i will have mine in hand. You can check on my website. Also working on lots of unreleased stuff, if you want more details just PM me.

skeezix said:
I'm game, for my usual applications/games/emus..(the ST, text adventures, BattleJewels) or perhaps system tools to make user experience easier. Also working on a retro really ugly but multiplayer game, woowoo :) I have been planning to sack my life when the panda arrives :) You know how to get ahold of me :)

jeff
If skeezix doesn't deserve a prerelease pandora, no one else does
anyone from the gp2x and zodiac scene can easily name some of his notorious works.
damn, he is the code jedi! :p

burito said:
From what's written I get the feeling you're after wifi, sound and ogl coders, while I have good knowledge of ogl maths (I've written a software renderer that produces equivalent images to opengl, and can be switched with the ogl one on the fly) I know SFA about shaders/programmable pipelines.
The ES driver layer will be provided by Imagination through TI when it's ready. The most you'll do with that stuff is packaging and fit and finish, I'm afraid. Similar story with the WiFi device. Now, the other stuff like the app lib porting, etc... Different story.

While I like the idea of what your doing, I think we're all "proficient gadget twiddlers", and no-one here is afraid of downloading 500Mb flash images every week and spending 30mins+ re-flashing our devices. I mean, anyone who thinks the first 4k devices will be finished software-wise has their eyes closed.

While it won't be finished, it should have few sharp edges all the same. Moreover, I think we're going to see some pretty cool things pop up, especially now that he's offering a few more units to people... :D

Tor said:
I must concur. :D

Well, I'm working on the alternative menu to GMenu, so an early Pandora could help A LOT the develepment, and could help to get it finished before the Pandora is released.

I have A LOT of free time and I can also work on porting more applications, games and/or emulators.

But I would like more details about these prerelease pandoras.

I work as a release engineer for a high performance linux product. I spend a lot of time looking through code/build issues and figuring out how to resolve them on quite a few platform/architecture combinations.

I have a reasonable amount of time to build/port/fix/test existing open source packages. Personally I would be looking to get an environment up and running that would be able to get a lot of my work done. Mostly open source command line tools (some of which may already be ported, I haven't looked entirely through the Angstrom repository), but I am sure I can make more time available to help port over some other packages as well.

Oh and if nethack isn't compiled yet I'll definitely look into that!

willing? yes...able? yes...have the time? only until my suspension from school lifts...if it does...

the problem lies with i am too lazy to figure out how to compile for it...and then i might be too lazy to actually do it...

although if theres nobody else i'd do it...although i dont know how long i will be suspended...

( i got suspended for hacking their Administrator account password...I DIDNT EVEN DO ANYTHING...now i kinda want to though... )

Back