Linux noobs and Ubuntu problems.

Zelest

Might not be the best forum for this, but I know so few places where I can get linux help so I thought I'd try with this first.

So, I decided to take the big step outside my protected world of closed source. From Windows to Linux. Yay me!

My candidate was my EeePC 1015PN. I installed Ubuntu on her and she was all happy and I was happy with her. Most things worked out of the box and I had to do minimal fiddling to get things to work. The fiddling I had to do I could either ask my ubuntu-based friends about or find on forums.

Since the EeePC had been such a good girl I decided I'll give her an upgrade and changed the 250gb harddrive for a 256GB OCZ Petrol SSD drive. The operation was a success and the SSD worked beautifully and I decided to install Ubuntu once again. Here is where things go awry.

The installation is the Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop AMD64 (tried x86, but it gives the same problem). At first I got a few APT-fails about the CD-Rom, but I solved that by removing the script governing that part as per the instructions of some forum. After that I get lots of different crashes while installing. I made the Installation USB using unetbootin-windows-575, but get the same problem with Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.0.2. I tried the Netboot CD and the Alternate Installer, but they too also crash, without giving me any reasons.

I've tried with both wireless and wired connection. I've upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version. Data can be stored and read from it with no problem and the partition manager manages to cut it up perfectly, also data gets stored on it during the installation. I even tried to clone the original HDD to the SSD, but without much success due to GRUB (is it called?) not being properly installed I think and it gets stuck in a boot-up loop.

Last crash I had just an hour ago I decided to do a crash report on to the ubuntu launchpad, since the installer urged me to. Here is the link, it got all sorts of sexy logs which I can't get any info from. The only thing I react to is the segfault at the end of the syslog. But I can't for the life of me understand what it means and how it can be solved.

Please help?

I have a 1215N, but I have no experience with Ubuntu in any form. I use openSuse 64 bit. There was tool i used that converted the cd live image to a usb drive and I was able to boot from it to install the OS locally. The only thing ive upgraded was the memory.

If your have issues running live OS off usb you may want to check the memory with the memory tester.

Running it from the Live CD/USB works flawlessly. I've not had a single problem with that. I just tried installing Linux Mint too, with the same problem.

Back