Linux hacked onto a PS4

I certainly wouldn't buy a PS4 as a linux user. The driver situation's likely to still be /horrible/.

But this is good news because it opens up the possibility of PS4 homebrew down the line. And maybe the PS4 will become a useful linux machine later on, but I doubt it's anywhere near that yet.

with pizza boxes "around" the same price (100 euro more than TeDaDeS's price), the only thing the PS4 has going is a fast GPU. Note that PS4 can emulate PS2 but not PS3.

So save your money and buy a backup Pyra... you know, one for on the go, one for on the desktop... Plus, the Pyra can emulate that Pokemon game too... using less watt.

btw: I am sure than when the Pyra is done, you can run 4 PS1 emulators at once...

the only thing the PS4 has going is a fast GPU.

A fast GPU ? You must be kidding. It's running a crappy, low-end APU from AMD... the only reason why it's running games the way it is, is that they are not using standard APIs like OpenGL to access it and get therefore more out of it. And optimizations...

There's litterally no incentive in buying this as a Linux box. Even at its price. You can build a 400 USD PC that is leagues more powerful on your own.

they are not using standard APIs like OpenGL to access it and get therefore more out of it.

OpenGL sucks, no wonder... I hope the future Vulkan would definitely be a game changer. Note that PS4 has GDDR5 for both CPU (8 cpu-"core" instead of 4 in normal APU) and GPU. The way I see, PS4 APU is still superior to any existing standard APU.

But I agree I don't see any big reasons to buy a PS4 for a Linux box - unless you have a way to switch between a Linux and native PS4 OS, maybe.

I agree Vulcan has the momentum to be a gamechanger.

and to correct myself: A fast GPU, as compared to a pizzabox (which focusses on CPU instead). Yes, any new mid-end graphics card is better, that's how fast the industry goes.

note that the high end cards are more expensive than the price of a single PS4....

Last edited:
OpenGL sucks, no wonder...
no.jpg

Back