Beta Linphone

does pandora have pulseaudio support? I saw in the desktop version of this app that it allows for an alsa setup as well as pulseaudio... if you are able to use pulseaudio, then you can pick the mic and speaker within pulseaudio's settings and be done with it...

Nice to see some VOIP app on the Pandora. Got a nortel 1535 phone off ebay recently so I been playing with SIP providers.

Anyway... I took some time to test the app.
I set up a sip2sip account and then a POIVY account. The first problem I ran into is that it wouldn't ask me for my SIP password. I am not sure what exactly went wrong but sometime later it did ask me for my password. (actually it seems to ask my SIP account password every time I open the app now).

I was able to call but I had no sound during the call. I actually hear the ring but then nothing. I tried all the sound option (oss and alsa) but nothing seem to work.
It's too bad because it seems like a good app to have on the Pandora. Hope someone can figure this one out. I am not an expert at troubleshooting audio problem.
I actually installed it on my Opensuse and it works like a charm there :)

Finally, if you just want to test VOIP I recommend you register with sip2sip: https://mdns.sipthor.net/register_sip_account.phtml
It's one of the few provider where you only need a valid email address to get a free SIP account. Then you can call 3333 for audio test (music) or 4444 for mic test (echo).

well, until I can figure out how to get this program to play nice with gizmo/google voice, I will not be endorsing it with my personal seal of approval... it looks simple and straight-forward, but it's absolutely NOT... at least for my needs... if anyone figures out how to get at least one gizmo account working on it (let alone two, which is what fits my needs), please let me know... until then, I am unhappy with this software. More power to you, sebt3... but this app is seriously pissing me off and I'm taking a small opportunity to vent... very small, cause I don't wanna start flaming here. But still feel the need to express my dissatisfaction.

First of all i'd like to say thank you, sebt3, for porting a VOIP app, as VOIP + WIFI + web browser (and of course linux) is the main reason i bought the pandora. I registered just now just to say THANK THANK THANK YOU!!

OK so for gizmo maybe this is useful for you, CPU, but maybe you already know about it: http://support.gizmo5.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=83

in x-lite, my gizmo settings are
username & authorization username: 11 digit gizmo phone number
password: gizmo password
domain: proxy01.sipphone.com
everything else i think is default

Works well for me most times and i would hope linphone's configuration would be just as easy.....

Ah so i am a little over 2000 in the queue and unfortunately do not have a pandora to give this port of sebt3's a whirl. If anyone else wants to but doesnt know what voip is, here's how:

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_to_Use_Google_Voice_as_a_Free_Landline_Alternative

This guide shows you how to use google voice and sipgate for an essentially free (paid with privacy) voip service.
I use gizmo5 instead of sipgate (lower latency) but gizmo was acquired by google and strangely have had new signups closed since...
But i can verify using x-lite that sipgate and gizmo5 both work with google voice.

Here's to hoping i'll be able to make calls to my friends with my pandora and a bluetooth headset when i get it!!

@ thegands: Thanks for the links, will try them out and see if it helps at all. I was ranting more than anything in my last post cause I needed to blow off a little steam from the frustration of not being able to plug and play like I'm used to with VOIP (which my gizmo account has been with just about every other VOIP softphone I have tried aside from ekiga). You and I have similar intentions as far as VOIP and bluetooth go... especially for me since Android only supports such a function if I buy the more expensive phones (not Android's fault so much as the phone mfgs holding back on upgrades to sell newer phones, which is becoming MUCH more obvious with the Samsung Vibrant fiasco).

@maplesugarlover: Technically speaking, google isn't proprietary, it's just not a full VOIP solution. It's actually half (as it's dial-in only on the user's behalf... even if it calls you before it calls the number you're trying to call. I actually don't find that as a bad thing, as it's a free way to have one number across all your phones (VOIP, home and cell) because you can have calls ring on all types of phones. Gizmo isn't proprietary either, it's just old.

The company was bought by Google to further their VOIP ideals (which shows as things moved forward VERY quickly after they acquired Gizmo). Technically speaking, they assimilated the old company, but was curteous enough to not just cut off old users and allow them to still use their old gizmo5 (and grandcentral) user info as well as allow the gizmo website to stay up, even though it doesn't take new registrations. It could have been a LOT worse had they bought Gizmo and shut down everything that WAS Gizmo in the idea of furthering Google only. Of course, this is where I stand on the concept, it's not necessarily all facts (aside from what is obviously true about my statements).

But I wouldn't call Google proprietary... You could say that the Google voice technology in itself is closed source, but that's only partially true... the code to do what they do is already out there, if not in a "complete form" to mimic them, then pieces here and there that can be put together. And I think the only reason it's considered any level of closed is because they are not done working on it. And, like all things Google, when it comes to coding, they open the source when they feel they are done (enough) with it to be ready for public consumption.

But I digress. And I'd rather not hijack this thread with our conversation if you wish to continue. If you'd like, we can open a separate thread and discuss this further. This thread is meant for the praise and accolades of sebt3 for his Linphone accomplishment. :D

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
This thread is meant for the praise and accolades of sebt3 for his Linphone accomplishment. :D
Building an app is not an accomplishment. I didnt changed a single line of code. I just built an app that have been proved to work on the ARM plateform.
Still, it dont work.
If someone could help me with that alsa mess, I'll be gladfull. As the pandora definatly need a voip software.

Last edited by a moderator:
no one ever really got back to me on whether pulseaudio is functional on pandora just yet... guess I'll google it and see if I can toss some info related to that in this thread to see if you can get it working for linphone. You did say you compiled it from source (as opposed to porting the Android version over) correct? If so, I know it has pulseaudio support built in, as I saw the settings for such in the desktop version of the program.

no one ever really got back to me on whether pulseaudio is functional on pandora just yet... guess I'll google it and see if I can toss some info related to that in this thread to see if you can get it working for linphone. You did say you compiled it from source (as opposed to porting the Android version over) correct? If so, I know it has pulseaudio support built in, as I saw the settings for such in the desktop version of the program.
there is no pulseaudio support on pandora (at least to my knowledge), and dont want to mess with that (it is still uninstalled on my own PC)

hmm... I wonder what's so bad about it... I've rarely ever had any issues with it... none in a few years... I even have it running inside JACK using qjackctl on my laptop and have yet to have any real problems with it (I think since version X.19 or X.20, I think). I see a lot of random threads about it being the worst thing some people have ever touched when I google it, but I just can't relate. (not bragging, in case anyone wanted to flame me for that, just noting that I don't understand what's so wrong with it)

I honestly hope someone is working on implementing it within the pnd environment... it's the only thing I know of that switches channels on the fly (and does a good job of it as well)! ...and that's a feature i'd like to have (case in point, pairing a set of nice bluetooth speakers to it and switching the audio over while the media player is running so I don't skip a beat when I come home from a run or bike ride and wanna continue my workout at home... or if I wanna switch a VOIP call from a bluetooth headset to bluetooth speakers or the built-in audio connected to regular speakers to put the person I'm talking to "on speakerphone" :p).

ok, got it running on my pandora, but now comes the real issue... I don't get the password prompt that I'd expect to normally see... but I can't find the config file to edit that manually... where do I find that?

figured it out as far as my services go... I had the login info wrong... once I figured that out, I got the password prompts and properly registered... NOW just gotta figure how to get the bluetooth working and I'll be golden... the system seems to focus more on OSS for audio than ALSA, which is really bad... OSS only seems to be able to handle one audio stream at a time (meaning if I wanna play music while playing a game, I only get the music or the game audio... can't have both... DEFINITELY not cool... Personally would prefer Pulseaudio, but not sure how feasible that is at the moment.

made an official test call and heard the ringtone, but there's no audio out (can't hear the other side of the call) Wondering which version ours was ported fom so I can see if it's a standard issue and how to fix via the mailing list for Linphone...

same here... we have an alsa that functions like OSS (the old one, not 4 :p) Not quite sure why the .asoundrc is so elaborate (never seen it need all that till I got a Pandora)... wonder if it's just overkill or if there are reasons for such settings... hope someone chimes in on that sometime... then again, maybe someone has and I just haven't done enough research... :p

request: could you please update to 3.4.3 as it was released last week... thanks in advance...
What for, are you able to hear you in a echo room or something ?
I mean updating to that version wont magically make it work so...

it works as it is... my current problem is a decent mic setup... adding the community codec pack makes it even better... but it IS functional... the update request is for feature and compatibility reasons... works fine as is... thought I'd posted such before now...

looking back, I see that I didn't say it was working... :p

the only issue is a mic at this point.... I can hear the other side just fine when on a decent connection... sorry about the lack of updates on my testing experiences...

the internal mic is noth the issue... I'd have prefered a port for an external mic so I could connect a PC headset... but I'm probably best off running an image from SD till I figure out how to tweak the settings to get a bluetooth headset working as a secondary sound card... not really trying to hold the Pandora by my face in order to have a voice conversation...

Back