LIFX - Iphone Light Bulb - I woke into a parrallel universe

A mate of mine, who runs on Android phone/tablet, is mad for remote lighting and generally any home automation.. He'd absolutely love this I know it, just really need to see if these come in bayonet standards too if/when funded.

Any Australians here can confirm if this might be likely, do you have these type bulbs too or are all your bulbs the screw in type only?

You get to choose which bulb type you want. You have the choice of the following:

Bayonet cap [b22]

Edison Screw [E27]

Downlight [GU10]

Ah ok, good to know cheers.

Think a couple of us will be getting one of these each then, all going well

Edit: well I see now all the options have sold out.

Guess I'll have to wait for mass production then eh

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Yep , looks like they got cold feet and closed all the backer levels. It happens a bit I have noticed, a KS project will go nuts exceeding the creators goal by 10 fold and then they start panicking, thinking how are we going to build all of these. Then they say enough, and just close it early.

Strange they stopped it as once you pass 10,000 units you can approach the *real/professional* bulk manufacture Asian/European companies and get some amazing deals.

Although they stopped short of 10,000 backers, the bulbs that they need to create will exceed 10,000 (mor elike 20,000) as most backer levels included at least 2 bulbs. So they should get a bulk manufacturing discount

Maybe it is probably a legit start up. People without prior experience may close it up (yep the pre-sales) and rely on the ´after ks success´ to push it further.

In such a way, they avoid mass angry people should something go wrong, and gain reputation for future projects.

Sometime's they regain there nerve and re-open the backing levels. I have seen that happen also. But I get the feeling it won't happen with LIFX

Like you've already written in a later post, CFLs contain mercury, and I think that that alone should be reason enough to abandon these so-called economically superior alternatives [...]. But even otherwise, good LEDs (as in, in the price range of currently, say, 30€ or so per bulb) are far superior [...]
Uhm, have you ever come across a safety datasheet for semiconductors as they are used in LEDs? Here's gallium arsenide for starters. Just saying :)

Uhm, have you ever come across a safety datasheet for semiconductors as they are used in LEDs? Here's gallium arsenide for starters. Just saying :)
Actually, no. The physical end of technology is not my area of expertise. Hence I was referring exclusively to the immediate problems of some CLFs /in case they break whenever they aren't supposed to/.

I guesstimate that you're referring to the overall environmental footprint instead (please tell me if this guesstimation is wrong). That was not what I was talking about, but reading my post again now I can see why it would easily be understood that way. "economically superior" was actually meant relative to incandescent light bulbs, and is a leftover from an earlier version of the post (that was never online).

I have edited that post again now. Sorry to everyone who has read it already.

Back