Librem 5 phone by Purism

TBH, having just got an email from Google's "Calendar Team" telling me I'm not using the official Google Calendar app (especially when I've got all the settings telling Google not to check my phone apps), it's becoming even more apparent that I'm wanting a non-android phone.

I will probably give the Pyra a go as a phone, by adding an earphone/mic combo; but if that doesn't feel right, then I'll definately consider a Pyra phone or some other open Linux based phone

...some other open Linux based phone

By some other phone, you mean Librem 5, because the hns stuff (OpenMoko/GTA04) is unusable at 2017, and Neo900 is forever unreleased and overpriced and will be unusable if they manage to release it at all.

Librem 5 is the closest thing to reality that we have.

Well, I'll be trying the initial Pyra, but if it seems too cumbersome in practise as a phone, then yes, whatever Linux based options that become available, and I appreciate there's not many. Even the Librem 5 isn't available yet, so...
To be fair, I mostly send text messages than call, so the Pyra's keyboard might actually be pretty helpful in that regard.

I pledged for a Librem \o/
Not sure they will hold to their previsional release date (january 2019) though, we'll see... I have not seen so many crowdfunding projects arrive on time actually, except for Teensy 3.6 but there have probably been other ones I have missed.

By some other phone, you mean Librem 5, because the hns stuff (OpenMoko/GTA04) is unusable at 2017, and Neo900 is forever unreleased and overpriced and will be unusable if they manage to release it at all.

Why do you think GTA04 is "unusable"?

Librem 5 is not something "we have" before Jan 2019... IMHO it will become summer 2019 looking at the technical challenges. i.MX6 is not a mobile phone but tablet processor and i.MX8 is not even available. And that they want to build and share development kits first. There does not even seem to be a prototype that can be shown around.

@ible I don't know, I just preordered one for Europe. Here is the FAQ https://puri.sm/faq/#faq-librem-phone

The Librem 5 is an open network phone, not locked to any particular network.
We aim to support 3G and 4G for the most common international frequency bands and carriers, with an interchangeable module. Exact specifications will follow as we are evaluating the data+voice modems that will be used.
We expect it to work on 3G and 4G networks, and hope for it to also work for GSM, UMTS, or LTE-based network services.

I think they are at the same stage as the Pyra having different hardware modules for the phone functionality, and having to build software for it, test it, etc.

I required 2 emails to get their banking information to do the payment in non-American ways. If you are ordering one, I can send you the details, just PM me.

Last edited:
i already have too many gadgets in the pipeline, but nothing with a camera and phone functionality. but pyra should phone home well enough for me...

I ordered two units. One is the Evergreen batch and the other one is set to be the next version of Librem 5 with the new SoC at 2021.

It must be so hard for the Purism to release it, especial when all other similar projects were complete memes (Open Moko+all the GTA stuff, Neo900, Ubuntu Edge...Pyra-Phone ?! ) and all they managed to do was to make it harder for THE REAL FOSS PHONE!
But Purism managed to do it!
Long Live Purism!
Librem 5 > ALL !!!

GTA04 is still getting new software and kernel improvements (e.g. there is a +25% speed kick in the works for some units)... 8 years after introduction.
PyraPhone just needs a community that really wants to have it and is willing to pay the price it will cost. But to be honest, I do not see that.

GTA04 is still getting new software and kernel improvements (e.g. there is a +25% speed kick in the works for some units)... 8 years after introduction.
PyraPhone just needs a community that really wants to have it and is willing to pay the price it will cost. But to be honest, I do not see that.
There are close to none infos and advertisement at the moment: There is no render of the possible case, there is no page with a summary and I think that even inside the Pyra community not everybody is aware of the project

Imho you should at first try to raise more attention for the PyraPhone before you jump to that conclusion

There are close to none infos and advertisement at the moment: There is no render of the possible case, there is no page with a summary and I think that even inside the Pyra community not everybody is aware of the project

Imho you should at first try to raise more attention for the PyraPhone before you jump to that conclusion
Well, my personal energy and money to invest into such things is limited - like probably everyone's.
I just can contribute the knowledge and expertise to make the PCBs. So it is IMHO the task of others to provide their part to a big picture.
So if someone wants to make a render of possible cases or a summary page, please go ahead.

Last edited:
No keyboard no interest.
I don't see why should want a Pyra phone if I have a Pyra that can do the same but also has a keyboard.

Yes, that's a problem. Maybe after a new CPU board becomes available it might be interesting for me to buy a Pyra phone case and peripheral board to put my old CPU board in, but as a phone? I'm happy with my current solution given it never goes on wifi, and once that'd dead maybe I'll for for a librem phone or something proven and open.

Back