Let Us Use The Old Design

jlepley

I don't like the new redesign, and I imagine a lot of other users don't, either. We appear to have lost a lot of functionality. For example, none of the topics listed in the "get new content" section have the links for going to the first unread post. Also, the blogs are buggy--the blog titles overlap the bar at the top of the page.

Therefore, I think we should all be given the option to view the boards using the old, better design.

Edit: Also, the quotes look weird, and it's really difficult to tell where a quote block ends.

I thought the same too, but I found out what's going on. It's because of the way the upgrade took place, apparently the boards got the upgrade, then the backup of all the threads and posts was put back in place. That means that the Get New Content link identifies the entire history of GP32X as New Content.

It can be solved, but it's really annoying. Go to every subforum and hit Mark Forum as Read. (Yes I'm doing it right now... <_< ) From then on the get new content will only register new posts in threads, instead of the 40000+ that it shows right now.

In other words, clicking on the thread link on the new content page automatically gets you to the latest unread post.

About the blogs I haven't checked them out...

I agree with the "none of the topics listed in the "get new content" section have the links for going to the first unread post" thing.

gp2.eXe said:
It can be solved, but it's really annoying. Go to every subforum and hit Mark Forum as Read. (Yes I'm doing it right now... <_< ) From then on the get new content will only register new posts in threads, instead of the 40000+ that it shows right now.

You don't actually need to go to every sub-forum, just go to http://www.gp32x.de/board/ and click "Mark Forum as Read" at the bottom there, does every sub-forum. I think. Worked for me.

Edit: You can vote your own posts up? Is that supposed to happen..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh... nevermind about the annoying thing, there is a way of marking all the boards as unread. At the boards main page scroll all the way down and there's the tiny link "Mark Board as Read", that's the one that makes every post unread.

After doing that the Get New Content should work properly (but every thread you had not read will not show up :p )

Edit: Heh, bennyboy beat me to it long ago... I had not noticed. Voting your post up, interesting.

Sphinxter said:
<sigh>, look, do not see familiar icon, immediately whine and bitch, never even try clicking big giant title to left. Duh, new board not exactly same, wah wah ad infinitum.
Well, if you must know, I did click the giant title to the left. It took me to the first post in the topic. What other conclusion was I supposed to draw at that point?

Still, a lot of the bugs related to archiving seem to have worn down. There are still several bugs, and the new forum is a bit harder to use, but I've decided I'm going to give it a while.

However, it would be nice to have a personal option.

I don't get why this was done. I must say I don't like it either. Everything is like a pastel shade of light blue and I find it hard on the eyes to read.

It is a little weird this new design but like all things just needs getting used too. It'll grow on me. :)

don't get why it was done? but this is the new forum software which a lot of people here helped pay for. they tried to upgrade to it straight away remember, but couldn't because of some problems. So they backed down a few version until they could upgrade all the way.

This was done, because it is a NEW version of IPB (v3.0.0) which is MUCH better and has a lot more functions.
Also, the old version won't be supported anymore.

Now, the new version has completely new themes which is the reason we can't use the old one.
However, hando plans a forum redesign competition, where everyone can create a theme and the users can vote for the best one :)
There might also be some prize :)

EvilDragon said:
This was done, because it is a NEW version of IPB (v3.0.0) which is MUCH better and has a lot more functions.

Now, the new version has completely new themes which is the reason we can't use the old one.
However, hando plans a forum redesign competition, where everyone can create a theme and the users can vote for the best one :)

It's also a lot less configurable. Where's the option to turn off the crap "about user" stuff that appears and makes posts fucking huge (in the case of one user)? I don't see it. Where's the option to remove certain sections of the display? Cos when I search for "new content" (rotfl) exactly *half* my screen is taken up by the banner, the "forums/member/calendar/blogs" bar, then some totally pointless whitespace, then more banners announcing "new content" (again, rotfl), after which there is *another* bar which appears to mimic the "forums/members/calendar/blogs" functionality at the top of the page, and then... finally...

there is my "new content". In rows twice as wide as they need to be.

I must say, I'm going to love browsing this abortion on an 800x480 screen. Why did this have to change, exactly? Is it that you can't maintain the old board without help? Or did you just love the shiny look on your highres screen and completely overlook those of us that are more restricted?

It looks fucking awful and it's hard to see, as DaveC has pointed out.

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

D.

Dunny said:
Is it that you can't maintain the old board without help? Or did you just love the shiny look on your highres screen and completely overlook those of us that are more restricted?
The old board is no longer supported, so any found security holes will not be fixed. So the old board software had to go to make way for the newer software and support/updates.

I'd hardly call 1024x768 "high res" these days. The typical resolution of most pc's is now 1280x1024 or higher. Whilst the admins will try and accommodate all people, they have lean on the side of the majority, rather than minority. The Pandora will be the same, it will probably be less than 1% of the sites traffic.

Hell, even Windows complains now if you use a resolution less than that, offering to change it for you.

What stops you from using a more common resolution such as the above?

Squidge said:
What stops you from using a more common resolution such as the above?

The fact that none of my displays go above 1280x800? They're all laptops. Except for one, which is a Netbook, 1024x600. Oh, and the 486 which does 640x480, but I'll grant you that one is getting long in the tooth now :)

D.

People hate change. It's inevitable there will be some grumbling. But we'll get used to it. Personally I thinkit looks nicer but there is an awful lot of wasted space at the top of the page.

Dunny said:
The fact that none of my displays go above 1280x800? They're all laptops. Except for one, which is a Netbook, 1024x600. Oh, and the 486 which does 640x480, but I'll grant you that one is getting long in the tooth now :)
There you go then, you don't need to go any higher than 1024 in width :)

Squidge said:
Dunny said:
There you go then, you don't need to go any higher than 1024 in width :)

:p

It's not width I need, it's height! Exactly half of my display is taken up by banner crap that I will never use. This is in Chrome - in firefox it's even worse. And that's at 800px screen height, which I cannot change. I was hoping to be able to browse this forum on a Pandora when it gets here; that's going to be pretty much impossible now. The last forum change was Ok - took a bit of getting used to, but this... it's the most unusable pile of crap I've yet seen in forum software, tbh.

And it takes a lot longer to load on my slow net connection too - is there a "minimal graphics" switch I've missed somewhere?

D.

EvilDragon said:

Well, there's another forum I frequent that has a layout I really like. It also has several different skins.

http://www.hyrule.net/forum/

Maybe something like that?

Dunny said:
It's not width I need, it's height! Exactly half of my display is taken up by banner crap that I will never use. This is in Chrome - in firefox it's even worse. And that's at 800px screen height,
Try pressing F11 or whatever you have mapped to the full screen key. That'll give you more space. I don't know about the 'banner crap', but you can normally scroll that off the screen.

Back