Less Than 10 000 Gp2x ?

It is not reasonable to expect Craig to "prove" he has sold X number of consoles, because that is business-sensitive and potentially personal information. :blink:

However, reading this thread all I can see is Craig saying he has bought 3000 back in December 2005, and ED saying he's sold about 1500. That accounts for 4500 only.

Craig, with respect, would you be willing to just put this to bed by making a public statement to the effect of "More than 10000 units have been sold in the UK alone"? :unsure:

(Although it's an entertaining thread and it seems a shame to ruin it! ;) )

pocket posted on Mar 12 2007 at 01:19 AM said:
I know you guys did your best, to do everything what lacked at Game Park. But you have to think that GPH is just waiting that... They won't do something you'll do for free.

Curious about this "new" number, some people started on our forum a thread to count the serial numbers.

Here are the first results :

http://www.yaronet.com/posts.php?sl=424&s=95148

I may be wrong but nothing indicates me that many more GP2X have been sold...
"SERIAL" NUMBERS ARE NOT SEQUENTIAL.

It has been proven over and over that each batch from the factory gets different "serial" numbers.

The true serial number is in a small chip on the i2c bus, you can't see it without a special program.

In other words, suppose I have a unit from batch 3 and batch 4, they have the SAME serial #'s. OR someone has a MK1 with the number 0000567, someone with a MK2 has the same serial number. I don't know what specious reasoning comes into play in your link, but we have more serials than that in our "serials" thread, and they bear me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laser posted on Mar 12 2007 at 03:56 PM said:
However, reading this thread all I can see is Craig saying he has bought 3000 back in December 2005, and ED saying he's sold about 1500. That accounts for 4500 only.

Well, yeah. And those were all first editions. The first 3000 were First Editions. The second batch (about 3000) were MK1. And the MK2 has been released April / May 2006...

Last edited:
Ed, do you have word of any future hardware revisions?

- Alex

Alex. posted on Mar 12 2007 at 09:15 PM said:

- Alex

GPH was mumbling some ideas lately, but nothing I'd expect within this year (hell, we're still waiting for the BoB to be finished...)

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Mar 12 2007 at 05:06 PM said:
GPH was mumbling some ideas lately, but nothing I'd expect within this year
*baits* ideas such as...? :)

- Alex

EvilDragon posted on Mar 12 2007 at 09:06 PM said:
Alex. posted on Mar 12 2007 at 09:15 PM said:

- Alex

GPH was mumbling some ideas lately, but nothing I'd expect within this year (hell, we're still waiting for the BoB to be finished...)
It's important to get the BoB box to be a perfect fit :)

Alex. posted on Mar 12 2007 at 10:13 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Mar 12 2007 at 05:06 PM said:
GPH was mumbling some ideas lately, but nothing I'd expect within this year
*baits* ideas such as...? :)

Sorry, I can't tell anything without getting the official okay.

Last edited:
Guys, I've just gotten off the phone with one of the ex-employees of GPH. Let's just say he was pretty high up in the company. He explained to me that there's been 1500 sold in germany, 3000 sold in the uk and then 4000 others worldwide, and that's it. There's only 8500 GP2Xs in the world. He also said GPH were considering making another 1200 to sell. He left because he calculated that GPH will go bankrupt in 618 days 17 hours.

Dr_Ian posted on Mar 12 2007 at 02:43 PM said:
Guys, I've just gotten off the phone with one of the ex-employees of GPH. Let's just say he was pretty high up in the company. He explained to me that there's been 1500 sold in germany, 3000 sold in the uk and then 4000 others worldwide, and that's it. There's only 8500 GP2Xs in the world. He also said GPH were considering making another 1200 to sell. He left because he calculated that GPH will go bankrupt in 618 days 17 hours.
Wow, I don't know how you can trust that guy, my inside source says, and this is over video chat so don't believe people you can't see, and he is the VP.

That 1501 where sold in Germany, 3001 on UK and 4002 others worldwide (I ought to know I bought all of them for my bomb shelter), there are 8504 GP2X's and don't forget it. They might make 200 or 300 odd Star Wars collectible Han Solo Carbonite Grey with integrated Blaster BoB's, but that is it. My ex-VP source said that the 618 days story was something that they made up to keep sales going and that GPH will be publicly sold in 407 milliseconds to the Grand Vizier of Uranus and that he will be vaporizing the plans shortly thereafter.

And remember, don't trust sources without a video-conferance from their basement and a crayon-drawn business outline stolen from the last GPH board meeting.

Dr_Ian posted on Mar 12 2007 at 11:43 PM said:

Yeah, well, the cool thing about that:
I get all my gp2x directly from craig, which means: GPH has no idea how many I do sell. I never told them that.
They only know it for the other German distributors (comtech and Flashlinker-Shop). So, if that's 1500 and I did sell 1500, we've got 3000 in Germany.

So you can believe one of the ex-employees of GPH, if you want. I won't, cause I know CRAIG AND ME alone did sell more (yes, I do know craig personally...)

Besides that: We have 12000 members here. Before the gp2x was out, we had about 5000 (with 30.000 sold GP32). So... comparing 5000 registered members with 30.000 sold GP32... how many would that make for about 7000 registered gp2x members?
Not everyone owning a gp2x registers at a board (in fact, I know quite a few personally who didn't register anywhere). Maybe half of the users are registered here.
We have over 800 registered users in Germany, most of them are NOT registered here. Same for the Spanish community.

So... I'd say we have about 8.000 REGISTERED gp2x users alltogether.
That doesn't make sense if only 8.500 bought a gp2x, does it?

Anyways, believe what you want... I don't care at all. It doesn't affect the scene.
And if you think a factory produces about 500 devices each run... well, then you clearly never asked a factory what's their minimum production run ;)
Usually, it's 5000, if you're lucky, you can go down to 3000.
And if you open up various gp2x, we had MANY different factory runs.
An FE, at least two for the MK1, and many more for the MK2 (the last one had faulty SD Card slots... remember?)
So if they only sold 8500... they have at least 15000 lying around ;)

Oh... and could you tell me the name of the ex-employee? 'cause I do know most of the employees... and for sure the ones being in a higher position.

Last edited:
I just had lunch with a ex-GPH member (and trust me, he was high up there), and he told me that they've sold 5 GP2Xs worldwide and 0 in Korea. Of those 5 units (1 FE, 2 MK1, and 3 MK2), one was tossed in a lake, so there are only 4 GP2Xs out there.

shinneri posted on Mar 13 2007 at 02:00 AM said:
one was tossed in a lake, so there are only 4 GP2Xs out there.

Heh, know what?
Part of the very first FE-Batch was REALLY accidentally thrown into the water (well... it was FedEx... we all know that Tom Hanks film Cast Away... don't we?)
Aaand: Part of the first MK2 batch burnt to ashes in that fire last year at Istanbul airport...

This was NOT told me by any GPH member (ex or non-ex), and it's actually true...

Last edited:
shinneri posted on Mar 13 2007 at 01:00 AM said:
I just had lunch with a ex-GPH member (and trust me, he was high up there), and he told me that they've sold 5 GP2Xs worldwide and 0 in Korea. Of those 5 units (1 FE, 2 MK1, and 3 MK2), one was tossed in a lake, so there are only 4 GP2Xs out there.
:lol: You're mostly correct there, actually only four GP2x units were ever made. The fifth one was a prototype phone for Sony-Ericsson. And that's the one that was tossed into a lake! Thus passing their usability tests!

(Sorry for not contributing anything constructive to this silly discussion! :))

[quote name='Employee 'X']How many are left in stock? What?! Over 9000?![/quote]

Fru.T Bunn posted on Mar 12 2007 at 09:30 PM said:
shinneri posted on Mar 13 2007 at 01:00 AM said:
:lol: You're mostly correct there, actually only four GP2x units were ever made. The fifth one was a prototype phone for Sony-Ericsson. And that's the one that was tossed into a lake! Thus passing their usability tests!

(Sorry for not contributing anything constructive to this silly discussion! :))

hmmm i thought that was a Samsung prototype... hmmm i guess my ex-GPH member was off :rolleyes:

but i really dont see the big deal about units sold, that in now way effects the scene..... and (imho) even if there were only like 10,000 sold, it sure beat the gizmondo (which from what ive read only sold 5000 or so) but 30,000 is still pretty impressive imo for such a small company..... well all ill say is as long as the devs keeep pumpin out good homebrew the numbers will continue to rise.....

LordFu posted on Mar 13 2007 at 03:03 AM said:
Pics or it didn't happen. :rolleyes: :p

Pics of the... ermm... never produced gp2x units? ;)

Last edited:
Back