Lemonboy2x Emu

hsinn3r

Still Fresh
Juanvvc has released a new GB/GBC emulator Lemonboy2x:

juanvvc said:
Lemonboy2x is a menu for Gnuboy. Old Gnuboy2x has a weird user interface, completely different to the other emulators. Unfortunately, K-teto lost most of the source code of his emulator. During this past week I made my own using the last Gnuboy for PC, the pieces of source that K-teto could collect, the lemon art by Madcore ("lemon" was the name for the lost Gnuboy2x release) and many code from AlexKidd by Puck2099 and Gpfce2x by Notaz.

The result is a Gameboy emulator with a more standard interface and a lovely skin. Unfortunately, it is not as fast as the old Gnuboy2x and I can't figure out why, but it is absolutely playable for all GBC games at 200MHz and GB games at 150MHz.

Please, read the README, CREDITS and LICENSE files for more information. Default buttons during the game:

Y: Go to menu
pad, X, B, Select, Start/Home: action buttons
Hold A: change game palette (example palettes provided for GB and GBC)
L: save state 0
R: load state 0
Vol +/-: Vol +/-

This is a test release that I am using for days now with no errors. During the next week and if no error is reported, I will compile a faster, definitive release. Please, if you fell adventurous and want to collaborate in the testing, download this version and report any error to juanvvc AT gmail.com

Thanks!

Download from Juanvvc's site.

and an update
juanvvc said:
In the same place (http://147.83.47.153/~juanvi/lemonboy2x.zip) I have just uploaded a quick version with these minor changes:

- L/R support for page up/down
- List up to 1024 games
- More files in each screen (10, it was 8)
- Framelimit bug solved. Do not wait while loading data
- Customizable roms path: open etc/system.gp2x and write your path in romsdir . Example: "set romsdir /mnt/sd/roms/gameboy"

To do in the next days:
- quick moves in list holding up/down/l/r
- compilation with profiling to gain speed
- the sound bug
- previews for games
- support for subdirectories in the rom list

If you want to test the new version you should overwrite at least the files lemon2x.gpe and etc/system.gp2x, or use a clean install.

The source code is under the GPL in the same package that you downloaded, in the 'src' directory.
Original source: http://gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk/
[cut]
(Edited 24/5/2008 Tobriand: Replaced original news post with a quote from juanvvc later in the thread, as the old post was appallingly auto-translated. Source, obviously, remains the same)[/cut]

Last edited by a moderator:
What a crappy automatic translation, I don't understand a thing I suppose you neither do.

Lemonboy2x is a menu for Gnuboy. Old Gnuboy2x has a weird user interface, completely different to the other emulators. Unfortunately, K-teto lost most of the source code of his emulator. During this past week I made my own using the last Gnuboy for PC, the pieces of source that K-teto could collect, the lemon art by Madcore ("lemon" was the name for the lost Gnuboy2x release) and many code from AlexKidd by Puck2099 and Gpfce2x by Notaz.

The result is a Gameboy emulator with a more standard interface and a lovely skin. Unfortunately, it is not as fast as the old Gnuboy2x and I can't figure out why, but it is absolutely playable for all GBC games at 200MHz and GB games at 150MHz.

Please, read the README, CREDITS and LICENSE files for more information. Default buttons during the game:

Y: Go to menu
pad, X, B, Select, Start/Home: action buttons
Hold A: change game palette (example palettes provided for GB and GBC)
L: save state 0
R: load state 0
Vol +/-: Vol +/-

This is a test release that I am using for days now with no errors. During the next week and if no error is reported, I will compile a faster, definitive release. Please, if you fell adventurous and want to collaborate in the testing, download this version and report any error to juanvvc AT gmail.com

Thanks!

juanvvc said:
What a crappy automatic translation, I don't understand a thing I suppose you neither do.
Heh, you're right, I didn't understand a thing. I actually thought it said something about bricking your GP2x or something along those lines. So, am I correct in stating that this is pretty much a new beginning for Gnuboy2x?

The bug about a very remote bricking possibility was solved days ago. I'm pretty sure that this version is much safer. I hope so, since I'm very intensively using it to play Zelda :)

In that case somebody might want to edit the newspost on the frontpage a bit, to not scare people off thinking this is dangerous code that could brick their system (or at some point did and may not be trusted again)

Gnuboy2x is an excellent emulator but the menu was always tricky to use, it's hard to read the rom filenames on that dotty background image. I will give lemonboy2x a try, now that it is said to be safe to use ;)

"SunSpire"

I never had a problem with gnuboy, so ill just stick to the old one

I've replaced the old post with Juanvvc's quote from later in the thread, since it contains pretty much all the release data, and is easier to understand, I think.

This looks like a great start. Maybe we'll soon have a decent GB emulator!

However, I encountered several bugs and problems in this version:

-There are a lot of issues with sound initialization. The first time I ran the emulator, sound didn't work at all. Next time I used it, the sound worked, but after loading a few roms and playing it stopped working again and I had to restart the emulator.

-It also seems as if we have gained "loading times" on this Gameboy games. When I'm playing, the game will run fine but it seems like there is a significant delay when switching scenes. For instance, there's about a 4 second delay between ending the bonus game in Super Mario Land and the next level starting. I have the original next to me and I just checked and it does not do that. This is also extremely noticable in the Pokemon Gold and Silver intros, which switch scenes often.

-Adding onto my loading times complaint, it takes quite a long time to load these little roms! I started a few larger games and when all I got was a black screen for 10 seconds I thought they weren't working.

-I have quit this emulator 4 times and only once has it successfully returned me to GMenu2X. The other 3 times I got a black screen.

And also some things I would like to make it a better experience:

-The rom list should scroll faster when you hold up or down. I have tons of roms for Gameboy (100+) and it is very frustrating to have to keep pressing the arrow to get to something in the middle.

-Allow the roms to be put in any folder the user wants. I keep my roms organized in a roms folder on the root of my SD card but I had to move them to use this emulator.

-I wish Color games that also support the normal GB would automatically use the color palette but the normal GB games would automatically use other palettes. I play normal GB games using the original palette, but if I game supports color I want it to use that feature automatically. Try running Pokemon Gold or Silver to see what I mean.

Otherwise, this seems pretty good and playable!

Ksoft, thanks for your feedback!

There are a lot of issues with sound initialization. Sure, I noticed it. Sound code comes from the old Gnuboy2x and I can't see anything wrong. But as you say after loading some roms sound stops working AND you cannot return to GMenu2x.

It also seems as if we have gained "loading times" on this Gameboy games. Actually it is due to the framelimit code. Gameboy works at 60FPS except during loading data. At the time being and while I find a "loading" flag in the code, if you find this annoying (I do) you have to switch framelimit off and set down the cpu clock. Most GB games run ok at 125 or 150 MHz without framelimit, and it solves this problem.

I started a few larger games and when all I got was a black screen for 10 seconds I thought they weren't working. Same as above.

I have quit this emulator 4 times and only once has it successfully returned me to GMenu2X. This is related to the sound problem. Don't have a clue about the actual bug, though.

The rom list should scroll faster when you hold up or down. Ok.

Allow the roms to be put in any folder the user wants. Ok.

I wish Color games that also support the normal GB would automatically use the color palette but the normal GB games would automatically use other palettes Unlikely to happen. This is up to the emulator core (gnuboy) and I have not enough knowledge to tweak.

Thanks again for your feedback!

juanvvc said:
It also seems as if we have gained "loading times" on this Gameboy games. Actually it is due to the framelimit code. Gameboy works at 60FPS except during loading data. At the time being and while I find a "loading" flag in the code, if you find this annoying (I do) you have to switch framelimit off and set down the cpu clock. Most GB games run ok at 125 or 150 MHz without framelimit, and it solves this problem.

What are you talking about? o_O

I hope you can get all the bugs out of this. GnuBoy2X was okay, but I've been wanting an GB emulator that lives up to most of the other systems'.

This shows promise.

Some things though. For the ROM selection there needs to be a page by page scroll as well as one by one. Also holding the stick should autoscroll the list. Usually the shoulder buttons do the page scroll. sometimes left or right on the stick does it.

The list could be longer. Reduce the big graphic on the top and bottom and put more lines of game titles in the extra space.

It doesn't show all of my ROMs. I have a few hundred but it cuts off after "M" it should go all of the way to "Z".

I wont mention things already mentioned but I also have seen those bugs as well.

Shows promise though, fix the bugs and we have a winner. Thanks for the good work.

I've installed this on my SD and my 600+ gb/gbc roms.
Lemonboy2x only seems to be able to see the first 254 roms in the menu. Can this be looked at, or am I failing?

Thanks Yrx, DaveC and doc5avage for your feedback,

For the ROM selection there needs to be a page by page scroll as well as one by one. Ok

The list could be longer. I'm not good at graphic design, but I'll do my best.

It doesn't show all of my ROMs. There is an arbitrary limit of 256 roms per list. I thought that nobody will use so many roms in a single list :)

Tobriand said:
I've replaced the old post with Juanvvc's quote from later in the thread, since it contains pretty much all the release data, and is easier to understand, I think.
thx, you saved me the trouble ;) the original text was indeed incomprehensible

juanvvc said:
It doesn't show all of my ROMs. There is an arbitrary limit of 256 roms per list. I thought that nobody will use so many roms in a single list :)
Cool, so this is changable? or would it be better if I just made a subfolder of each set of 256 roms? Will that work?

Cheers

doc5avage said:
Cool, so this is changable? or would it be better if I just made a subfolder of each set of 256 roms? Will that work?
There is not subfolder support at this moment, but I will code it in the near future. The limit is changeable only in the code, and the next version will have a higher limit. 1000 is ok? 2000?

Back