Beta Legend of Pandora

quadcricket

Very Active Member
Here is the BETA release of Legend of Pandora, a game created specifically to honor the Open Pandora and it's community (that's you). Like so many things we love, this game took FOREVER to have any sort of release.

It is currently a bit rough around the edges, which is to be expected. I look forward to hearing any suggestions on how I can improve the gameplay to make it more fun and any advice to squish any bugs found.

qCOlHhY.png

Download (BETA 2!) here to test: https://u4e.us/d/legend-of-pandora.pnd

Bugs to squish:
[x] Monsters and bosses "jumping" (sort of, there is no longer collision, just damage detection, of the sword. Monsters can still be on Ed but don't stun-lock him anymore)
[x] Ed stuck in place when changing direction (Reworked wall collision to hopefully have killed this bug)
[x] 'x' button activates attack on release
[x] remove auto-win when 'w' is pressed
[x] remove Ed losing all health when 'k' is pressed
[x] Troll speed increasing randomly

Quality of Life enhancements:
[x] Increase "no spawn" box to keep monsters from spawning on Ed (I can always make it bigger too)
[x] Shrink Ed's collision box to make moving through vertical blocks easier (he is now one pixel thinner)
[x] Visual indicator for when Ed take's damage
[x] Visual indicator for when Craig fills your "health" bar upon his demise
[x] 'Select' button to reset game
[-] 'Pandora' button to quit (I could not get this to work, not sure if SDL 1 is funky or if Pandora reserves this key for task manager. For now just use 'Esc' or 'q')
[x] Output gameplay time on exit (It should default to this, but can set in prefs or run with "-t" parameter)

Last edited:
I just beat the game. It's already pretty fun IMO. I really liked the variety in the mechanics of each boss (especially fighting in the dark against souls).

Couple bugs I found:
  • The aforementioned monster jumping into Ed. Got me killed three times
  • Sometimes Ed gets stuck in place after changing direction
Suggestions for mechanical improvements:
  • Ensure the enemies don't spawn too close to Ed when changing screens
  • Make Ed's collision box smaller to make using ladders and walking around obstacles a bit easier
  • Add a visual indicator for when Ed takes damage

I don't really have any suggestions to make it more fun because I think it's fine the way it is. I actually enjoy playing this more than the original LoZ.

I just beat the game. It's already pretty fun IMO. I really liked the variety in the mechanics of each boss (especially fighting in the dark against souls).

Couple bugs I found:
  • The aforementioned monster jumping into Ed. Got me killed three times
  • Sometimes Ed gets stuck in place after changing direction
Suggestions for mechanical improvements:
  • Ensure the enemies don't spawn too close to Ed when changing screens
  • Make Ed's collision box smaller to make using ladders and walking around obstacles a bit easier
  • Add a visual indicator for when Ed takes damage

I don't really have any suggestions to make it more fun because I think it's fine the way it is. I actually enjoy playing this more than the original LoZ.

Thank you for taking a look! I have added a list of bugs to fix and quality of life enhancements to the main post for reference. I am going to start working on it a little this evening but will be able to really start sorting out these issues come Monday. I'm glad you enjoyed the gameplay! That is a huge compliment for me. I feel there should be a way to make the scoring system more meaningful. Right now bosses are 1000 points and monsters are 1. I am also considering adding a feature that outputs the time it took to beat the game. This may help speedrunners if they want to play the game in that style.

Back