Want To Learn To Program

Claym99

Website
www.myspace.com
I am a (somewhat) advanced computer user and I think my next step would be to learn to program. I've wanted to learn for awhile...i just haven't. So, I know a lot of people ask this...but what language should I learn? And, is there a book or anything that is really good for helping to learn this language?

For the linux platform C/C++ are pretty good choices. Most of the libaray code will work from either. If you need a C++ book that is pretty good the follwing URL will point you to a Compiled HTM doocument that works well on windows. The are many other choices for languages and there is also the shell scripting langiages that can help make your life less tedious for working on the GP2X.

http://www.ivrtech.net/files/C++Primer-Plus4thEdition.zip

so, can I write a game for the GP2X with Python...and possibly PyOgre? I've seen some python stuff being written before, and if I get confused I have a friend who knows Python inside and out.

C absolutely and only, why bury yourself in a lot of doop needlessly especially when in a confined space like the gp2x, If all your looking to do is paste a few pictures here and there with SDL at a high rate of speed with a bit of logic keep it simple and close to the hardware. It's pure and elegant, 32 keywords to world computer domination on every platform there is.

Claym99 posted on Oct 2 2006 at 01:43 AM said:
so, can I write a game for the GP2X with Python...and possibly PyOgre? I've seen some python stuff being written before, and if I get confused I have a friend who knows Python inside and out.
AFAIK, PyOgre hasn't been ported (and I don't it will be). PyGame has however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back