Lcd After Powerdown

merzbow

Still Fresh
I own a GP32 BLU+ 166Mhz version. Whenever i switch off my GP, the LCD still shows a kind of "ghost" of the image that was onscreen during switching the unit off, which then slowly fades in a minute or so. i just wanted to know if this is normal or do i have a faulty LCD in my GP?

xD yes i was confused too ;P

and yes its totally normal :)
and dont switch it off and on to fast if you do, the screen sometimes stays blank :/
but thats normal too.
:p dont worry about it :)

That ghost pictures stays much longer on my blu+ screen (didn`t check, but it`s a couple of minutes)

On my old NLU, it faded away after only a few seconds.

Does anyone know where these patterns visible during power-off on the LCD actually come from?

What's happening there, I mean physically speaking?

I was always curious, ever since I got my first gameboy in '89. :cool:

I would guess it static electricity that stays there an keeps some pixels glowing for some time. But I don`t know for sure.

I would guess it static electricity that stays there an keeps some pixels glowing for some time. But I don`t know for sure.

I was actually referring to the distortions and weird pixels, not the ghost image. I have a FLU and it doesn't have that ghost effect.
There's always weird lines and distortions when you turn the power off.

Last edited by a moderator:
On most color LCD screens, when you power off, every other scanline goes blank, and the remaining fade after a while. On mine, there's this really spikey black bar-like shape that appears over the image sometimes when I flip it off. That's probably a result of the ram shutting off before the lcd's power escapes. :p

But yes, this is normal behavior.

I was actually referring to the distortions and weird pixels, not the ghost image. I have a FLU and it doesn't have that ghost effect.
There's always weird lines and distortions when you turn the power off.

I would guess that switching off causes a short overload (short time a little to much power on the screen).

It`s the same with lightswitches, turning the light on and off costs more power than having it on for the same time.

Mine takes a little while for the screen to fade if i have it connected to the mains adaptor, Maybe 30 seconds. Without the mains adaptor it takes around 10 seconds to fade completely.

I think it depends on what is displayed on the screen at the time of power off to how long it takes to fade, Apart from when the mains adaptor is attached.

It`s normal behavior.

Trooper

What is actually happening is that the capacitors which stabilize the voltage to the screen are slowly draining, so even when you power off, there is still some juice going to the LCD. The effevt should be more noticeable on overclocked units and units with fresh batteries. I believe there is a pulldown resistor (maybe more) which normally discharge any leftover voltage, but given the questionable QA by Gamepark, this may vary from lot to lot. This is also the reason why the gamepark sometimes locks up if you cyle the power too quickly.

Back