Launching X11 Environment From Sd Card

dfTruF said:
[...]
I thought that you have implemented virtual screen already. Web browser which you have showed must use virtual screen. It was 640x480?
The browser in the picture is running on the 320x240 resolution. I had to remove the bookmark toolbar and the statusbar to have some space left for browsing.

I'm still investigating the framebuffer driver for the Wiz. The original module has hardcoded dimensions to 240x320 (even the virtual ones). I believe this is purely from laziness of the programmers since there is enough memory left to create a virtual screen.
I am a bit careful here as getting this to work would also make it possible to get Android running on this thing (it has some (very sane) requirements the framebuffer needs to fulfill but the current driver is just not able to do it).

dfTruF said:
[...]
But you are going to attach compiler and standard libraries to final system?

Well, I have a compiler running on this thing currently. It was used to recompile the buggy touchscreen driver.
There is nothing against having all the libs and development tools on the device - just in case you *really* need to compile on it.
It looks like I'll need to change some more kernel modules to use standard SDL libraries (What did GPH gain from all these special interfaces ? Either they were onto something or on something (to speak with the words of Larry Wall ;-) )

Last edited by a moderator:
hiben said:
I'm still investigating the framebuffer driver for the Wiz. The original module has hardcoded dimensions to 240x320 (even the virtual ones). I believe this is purely from laziness of the programmers since there is enough memory left to create a virtual screen.

So is it necessary to recompile module (from official SDL release) responsible to drawing pixels or all library?

At least X is not in official firmware, and it should interpret SDL window at its own rules.

Well, I have a compiler running on this thing currently. It was used to recompile the buggy touchscreen driver.
There is nothing against having all the libs and development tools on the device - just in case you *really* need to compile on it.

Yes, it is good to have pocket compiling possibility. Especially for someone who doesn't have linux with ARM compiler and emulator on desktop x86 PC. Anyway,... are you there?

dfTruF said:
[...] Anyway,... are you there?

Working on some real world problems right now... will get back to Wiz stuff shortly...

dfTruF said:
Hey hiben,
Do you still continue this project?

I'm still interested in this project but currently I have to deal with some family issues that have a long term impact on my life. This has priority right now and I am sure you understand that I can't give any prediction on when I will start doing things again for the Wiz.

hiben said:
I'm still interested in this project but currently I have to deal with some family issues that have a long term impact on my life. This has priority right now and I am sure you understand that I can't give any prediction on when I will start doing things again for the Wiz.

Any news?

Back