Laser Razor on Kickstarter - Yes Really

Are hipsters real or just very lazy people who don't want to shave?
Woman: Sweetheart you have to shave you look disgraceful with that beard!!
(Mans thoughts) Screw that I'm not shaving. I know what to say...
Honey, I'm not lazy I'm a hipster!
Woman: Oh you'r a hipster, that's so like trendy and shit!! (Yeah right who wants to sleep with Abraham Lincoln)

Not everyone with hair on their face is a hipster.  I think you have wear ugly clothes and it all has to be ironic, or something.

I enjoy shaving and there's some satisfaction in doing it properly and feeling the blade cutting the hairs on your face. If you're getting irritation from shaving you're probably using a crap razor/blades. Get a double edge razor, some Feather brand blades and some decent soap. There's also pre-shave and post-shave products you might need and if you're using a double edge don't press on just use the weight of the razor they're heavy for a reason.

Feathers don't seem to like my face, at least not in the razor I use.  They seem to want to remove it from my skull.  I don't go all out like some people, I just use some soap or cream on a brush, and shave in the shower, with maybe something afterward (I use lotion on my face, and most have an SPF, but this is mostly for reasons unrelated to shaving).

Yes, shaving with a double edge/safety razor is completely different from cartridge/disposable razors.  I have seen a few scenes in TV shows or movies where the person shaving obviously doesn't know how to use the razor (way off on the angle, etc) and I wonder what would happen if a blade was in it.  I think the shaving scene in Soylent Green was accurate (since these razors were still commonly used then), however I can't see very well with the one on youtube.  It is around 2 and a half minutes in.  I think that may have been what made me interested in using them (although I had grown up seeing brushes used, but I never sat and watched anyone shave).

there apparently is a working prototype on their page they uploaded on the 25th. it shows a fiber but it shows the concept well.. Its interesting... but I've gotten used to shaving with just sheer water using the worst blades one can imagine...

They need to show one of the more hirsute guys shaving with the prototype.

Why would you use just water and a shitty blade?  I would imagine that is a painful experience, your skin hates you, and you get terrible results.  Even with a good blade (or the most expensive cartridge) I have tons more trouble without something to lube it up properly.  I hated when I had to shave in 30 seconds.  Get yourself a decent inexpensive badger brush and some Col. Conk soap (cheap but good).  If you want to try the sets they have at walmart that may be more convenient, but I always found the soap to be terrible and the boar's hair brushes not to work well for me.  I bet adding a brush and some good soap or real shaving cream (not in a can) would fit in with your lifestyle and interests.

How dit this thing get the energy for such a powerfull laser its needs to cut beard hear??
If its from Batteries, than its as enwroimend unfriendly as one thimes razorblades..
Or more, as batterieacid is lot more dangouros..

I think they said AA or AAA batteries.  It was somewhere on that page.  Maybe it is not as bad in their opinion if you use rechargeable batteries and recycle them once they are past their usable life.

Are hipsters real or just very lazy people who don't want to shave?

I've only been to Shoreditch the once, but in my limited experience the sort of beards a lot of these folk wear are a lot more effort than just shaving.

In order of effort, I reckon it goes:
Unkempt beard < Clean shave < Trimmed beard < Hipster abomination

there apparently is a working prototype on their page they uploaded on the 25th. it shows a fiber but it shows the concept well.. Its interesting... but I've gotten used to shaving with just sheer water using the worst blades one can imagine...

They need to show one of the more hirsute guys shaving with the prototype.

Why would you use just water and a shitty blade?  I would imagine that is a painful experience, your skin hates you, and you get terrible results.  Even with a good blade (or the most expensive cartridge) I have tons more trouble without something to lube it up properly.  I hated when I had to shave in 30 seconds.  Get yourself a decent inexpensive badger brush and some Col. Conk soap (cheap but good).  If you want to try the sets they have at walmart that may be more convenient, but I always found the soap to be terrible and the boar's hair brushes not to work well for me.  I bet adding a brush and some good soap or real shaving cream (not in a can) would fit in with your lifestyle and interests.

I've gotten used to shaving with water with no issues.. My face and hair are very tough. I can get a clean cut with a cheap disposable thats been used 20 times before. I just end up having to clean my hair out of the sections of the blades with something. I don't get irritation and the only spots were I tend to nick myself are on ingrown hairs or areas where my jaw meets the neck and that under area. I'm looking to get my hands on a nice straight blade.. then I could really trust what I'm using.

I've gotten used to shaving with water with no issues.. My face and hair are very tough. I can get a clean cut with a cheap disposable thats been used 20 times before. I just end up having to clean my hair out of the sections of the blades with something. I don't get irritation and the only spots were I tend to nick myself are on ingrown hairs or areas where my jaw meets the neck and that under area. I'm looking to get my hands on a nice straight blade.. then I could really trust what I'm using.
Let me know how using a straight razor with nothing but water works out for you.
The fact that you have ingrown hairs is an indicator that things in your routine might need to change.

I hate shaving, and can only be bothered to do it about once per week.  Luckily my profession does not discriminate against the scruffy-looking.  I would gladly pay $150 for this if it was faster/easier than the expensive fusion disposable blades I currently use.  

Unfortunately, the demo video does not inspire confidence.  I would love for this to be real, but at this point it certainly seems like a gimmick that cannot actually replace a real razor, disposable or otherwise.

I hate shaving

I guess I neglected to say that in this thread.  I really hate shaving (might be related to how thick my beard and face hairs are).  At present I limit it to my neck and part of the sides, primarily so it doesn't look so sloppy to me.  Not shaving has disadvantages of its own.

I would gladly pay $150 for this if it was faster/easier than the expensive fusion disposable blades I currently use.  

Unfortunately, the

demo video does not inspire confidence.  I would love for this to be real, but at this point it certainly seems like a gimmick that cannot actually replace a real razor, disposable or otherwise.

If it lasted a lifetime it could save money in the long run.  It would be nice if it were faster and easier and actually worked and had no down side other than the initial cost and batteries.

Has anyone used those home laser thingies that are supposed to make the hair not grow back?  I have long wondered if that might be an option to end my requirement of shaving/trimming.

We have lasers and cutting...we need more puns in this thread.

Their recent demo video was actualy not really convincing. Even thin hair was barely cut, I doubt this Laser Shaver will have the speed of traditional shavers, not to mention the precission.

I need something that I can shave with and cut 1/4" plywood.

Their recent demo video was actualy not really convincing. Even thin hair was barely cut, I doubt this Laser Shaver will have the speed of traditional shavers, not to mention the precission.

Maybe Paul Binun (see the "Our Founders" section) has been using the prototype.

I need something that I can shave with and cut 1/4" plywood.

The Hands of Chuck Norris, perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:

1443469178767.gif

Let me know how using a straight razor with nothing but water works out for you.
The fact that you have ingrown hairs is an indicator that things in your routine might need to change.
Oh with a straight blade I would be using cream and crap. You need steady pressure and something to help the skin. Most of the hairs that cause me issues are in other spots.. but even then those sections don't often cause issues.  Me using water and cheap razors is mostly out of need too....rather then preference. I Don't have the option of anything else and it's been like that for awhile...  I also don't like many electric razors the only good one i have is one from the 90's my father bought that is a travel kit one. Folds up nice and gets a real close shave... However if you have longer hairs it will rip those suckers out.

$4,000,000, though.  Not too bad.  They were only asking for $160,000.  If they really do have a way to make it work and just need the money it could happen.  It seems people want it.

I don't blame you.  What they are saying and showing don't really add up to me, plus they have met their goal (almost $200,000 now, so almost $25,000 more since I last checked, and they still have 12 days left).  I doubt they will get back up to $4,000,000, but if they figured out that they needed more they should have increased the goal when switching over.  Either they know what they are doing and can really get it going with what they already have, or it isn't worth risking the money on.  I have some serious doubts about the quality of the "shave" you will get based on everything I have seen from them.  Even if their product isn't that great maybe someone else has seen the attention this got and is willing to throw some money and a big name at the idea (looking at you, Gillette*).

I wonder what a laser shave smells like.  I doubt it smells as nice as when I shave.

* I doubt Gillette/P&G would go for it since this is the opposite of their "give them the razor, sell them the blades" way of doing it, plus there wouldn't be much more for them to sell you.  Maybe they could make some sort of face wash that makes burning hair smell like lavender.

Back