Laser Razor on Kickstarter - Yes Really

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
Thought this was a joke when I first saw it, but nope, it looks like these guys are serious.   They have just put up their campaign on Kickstarter to produce a Laser based Razor.
I think I'll need to see the working prototype first.  I understand they said they will show a demo using a working prototype. Makes me wonder why its not there on the campaign page from the start.   A working prototype is a KS requirement

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skarp/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving?ref=category_popular

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote said:
Thought this was a joke when I first saw it, but nope, it looks like these guys are serious.   They have just put up their campaign on Kickstarter to produce a Laser based Razor.https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skarp/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving?ref=category_popularhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZk_Nw4M_Vk

Wait! It seems nice and all, but where's the speed (time it takes to shave) comparison demo between this and a conventional razor or electric razor?
By the way, your KS link leads straight back to this thread :p

Last edited by a moderator:
When I shave... when... then I use a blade made in the 1930ies in Germany. Of course I have some maintaining with that blade, sharpening and things like that. But I always have a really good close shave with almost no irritations and apart from the beard and the soap no waste :D
I never understood how people can buy blades for 2-6 euros a piece, and most of them throw them away after using them 1-2 times... I am not an environmentalist but hey that is a really really stupid way to treat finite resources.  

Wooohh there sharky barber, I said a little off the fringe

​
shark-laser-lara-croft-1500x1050.jpg

id take a straight edge over this any day... 

Only ONE Laser? Not Three or Five?  :lol:
And why don't they show a working prototype? I thought this was mandatory for a KS Campaign nowadays... 

When I shave... when... then I use a blade made in the 1930ies in Germany. Of course I have some maintaining with that blade, sharpening and things like that. But I always have a really good close shave with almost no irritations and apart from the beard and the soap no waste :D
I never understood how people can buy blades for 2-6 euros a piece, and most of them throw them away after using them 1-2 times... I am not an environmentalist but hey that is a really really stupid way to treat finite resources.  

I have been using a double edged safety razor and a carton of 100 blades I got for around $20 (tried a variety first, since they are all different).  There seems to be a small but growing market for safety razors here, as I have seen a few popping up here and there, with ads on TV once in a while.  A few seem to be coming from Europe.  I just use a 50 year old gillette one.  I have another that has a thing you turn and the top opens to replace the blade, but I prefer the other one that has to be fully disassembled.  I may try to find one that has a different handle because the one I usually use has an aluminum handle that makes it quite unbalanced feeling sometimes.  I get a very close shave (not that this is something I strive for with my sensitive skin), and irritation depends on technique.  I switched because even on a bad day I have less irritation than with cartridge razors.  I do get a nick now and then.  It does take a bit longer than the cartridge ones, but the tradeoff is worth it to me.

When I used cartridges I would use them for as long as they continued cutting the hairs pretty well, so for a couple weeks usually, with 5 or more shaves a week.  At the price they were going for I couldn't afford to toss 'em after a couple uses, plus they seemed better to me after a few shaves.  Not as much irritation and cutting my throat open.

I probably wouldn't trust a laser razor until it had been around for a while and I felt the results were good.  I can't use an electric razor, even the super fancy somewhat expensive ones, because they don't do a good job and usually feel like they are ripping the hair out instead of cutting it, and my neck would always get chewed up.

Are hipsters real or just very lazy people who don't want to shave?
Woman: Sweetheart you have to shave you look disgraceful with that beard!!
(Mans thoughts) Screw that I'm not shaving. I know what to say...
Honey, I'm not lazy I'm a hipster!
Woman: Oh you'r a hipster, that's so like trendy and shit!! (Yeah right who wants to sleep with Abraham Lincoln)

I enjoy shaving and there's some satisfaction in doing it properly and feeling the blade cutting the hairs on your face. If you're getting irritation from shaving you're probably using a crap razor/blades. Get a double edge razor, some Feather brand blades and some decent soap. There's also pre-shave and post-shave products you might need and if you're using a double edge don't press on just use the weight of the razor they're heavy for a reason.

there apparently is a working prototype on their page they uploaded on the 25th. it shows a fiber but it shows the concept well.. Its interesting... but I've gotten used to shaving with just sheer water using the worst blades one can imagine...

How dit this thing get the energy for such a powerfull laser its needs to cut beard hear??
If its from Batteries, than its as enwroimend unfriendly as one thimes razorblades..
Or more, as batterieacid is lot more dangouros..

Back