Largest Capacity/best Batteries?

gohmifune

Still Fresh
After searching on the forums, I haven't been able to get a good idea on the best and largest batteries available. I've seen 2800 mAh batteries, but they questionable. Any idea on a good brand of ~2800 or higher mAh batteries, and where to get them from the states online?

have a read of the wiki on batteries:http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Batteries

gohmifune said:
After searching on the forums, I haven't been able to get a good idea on the best and largest batteries available. I've seen 2800 mAh batteries, but they questionable. Any idea on a good brand of ~2800 or higher mAh batteries, and where to get them from the states online?
Why? The 2600 Duracell/Energizer are fine, measure them with a multi-meter, use paint to mark the closest pairs when you open the package, and charge them on a long-term or computerized timer (the 8-hour charger that energizers come with does a great job for me). Keep the pairs together.

If you aren't doing that then I doubt higher capacity batteries will help you.

If you just need longer run-times, add a third cell on the back (I have instructions and pictures, google nubie07 AA and there should be some pictures on my picasaweb account.) I clocked at 6 hours 17 min on the battery test app with just 3 2500/2600 Energizers (can't be bothered to check, but they are the standard Wal-Mart/Target/Sam's club fare).

Just FYI, if you expect better battery performance there is more to it than just buying more expensive batteries. Closely matching the batteries will yield longer run-times and longer lasting batteries (AKA longer useful life-span)

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
gohmifune said:
Why? The 2600 Duracell/Energizer are fine, measure them with a multi-meter, use paint to mark the closest pairs when you open the package, and charge them on a long-term or computerized timer (the 8-hour charger that energizers come with does a great job for me). Keep the pairs together.

If you aren't doing that then I doubt higher capacity batteries will help you.

If you just need longer run-times, add a third cell on the back (I have instructions and pictures, google nubie07 AA and there should be some pictures on my picasaweb account.) I clocked at 6 hours 17 min on the battery test app with just 3 2500/2600 Energizers (can't be bothered to check, but they are the standard Wal-Mart/Target/Sam's club fare).

Just FYI, if you expect better battery performance there is more to it than just buying more expensive batteries. Closely matching the batteries will yield longer run-times and longer lasting batteries (AKA longer useful life-span)

To answer your question, expense isn't really an issue as it usually amounts to a couple of bucks difference with rechargeables. Energizers crapped out on me, their charger killed another pair of batteries as well. That's four batteries that don't work in high yield devices, and I just figured 2800, why not. But Duracell seems sound. I can get those easily.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

I recommend Sanyo rechargeables, I use the 2500mAh ones, and they last for 1.5 to 2 years. They charge quite fast, too, and they come bundled with a charger for under $19.

i got duracell 2560 MaH and they run for 5 hours or a little longer, also got the duracell 4 hours charger, no probs, works fine, bought this all for about 40$

If you're looking for something a little simpler, here's what I did:

I picked up an 8-pack of Energizer 2500's at wal-mart for about $20. I use them with my 2-hour charger. After charging them up I unplug then replug the charger, which gives them a little topoff charge. I don't know the science behind but I get about 3 hours per pair (at a variety of cpu speeds) and I have 4 pairs to swap in (which is a rather small bundle). I fly long distances and it's the best easy solution I could think of to have access to my gp2x when I need it most. It's simple and cheap, but you won't break any records.

markiej said:
If you're looking for something a little simpler, here's what I did:

I picked up an 8-pack of Energizer 2500's at wal-mart for about $20. I use them with my 2-hour charger. After charging them up I unplug then replug the charger, which gives them a little topoff charge. I don't know the science behind but I get about 3 hours per pair (at a variety of cpu speeds) and I have 4 pairs to swap in (which is a rather small bundle). I fly long distances and it's the best easy solution I could think of to have access to my gp2x when I need it most. It's simple and cheap, but you won't break any records.
you heard em, duracell 2650's :p

Yep, the Duracell 2650's are lasting me the longest at the moment, I also have a set of the 2500's that come with the value pack and the Duracells last much longer in comparison.

I bought 4 Duracell 2650mAh batteries for 12€. They easily last 5 hours at 200 MHz.

Now, I don't find that batteries for less than 20€!!!

If only I had bought a pair of 4 batteries pack... :(

I use Sony 2700 mAh 'CycleEnergy' batteries, they give me pretty good batt life on the GP2X.. usually 4-5.5 hrs @ 240 Mhz

I don't know if you can buy them in the US though. Don't you guys have an online shopbot over there?

quartercast said:
I use Sony 2700 mAh 'CycleEnergy' batteries, they give me pretty good batt life on the GP2X.. usually 4-5.5 hrs @ 240 Mhz

I don't know if you can buy them in the US though. Don't you guys have an online shopbot over there?
I bought the 2700 mah SOny batteries too a few days ago. I charged them 3 times in a row to allow max charge and i ran the battery test at 200 mhz on mi 2.1.1. firmware gp2x mk2...it ran for 4:35 hrs. I have a sanyo speed charger that takes around 4 hours to fully charge the batteries.

I thought i`d reach 5 hours..too bad :(

Just bought 2650, they gave me strange results :

---------------------------------------
STATISTICS:
Clock Speed: 200 Mhz
Running Time: 4:05:00
Average FPS: 81.27

Current charge: 0%
Initial internal charge: 893
Current internal charge: 578

STATISTICS:
Clock Speed: 250 Mhz
Running Time: 3:40:00
Average FPS: 101.52

Current charge: 51%
Initial internal charge: 983
Current internal charge: 727
---------------------------------------

Only 25 min diff, with 50Mhz diff...
Could it be explained ?

Atm I am using the standard 2500's that came in the value pack, I will be buying duracells when I go shopping next.

Anyway, I usually get 5 hrs or so on these, I have a decent battery charger (rezap.com.au) and that makes the world of difference. From what I have read, it is NOT a good idea to top off your batteries, it can result in overheating or other damage, you are best to use an intelligent charger that varies the charge speed according to the batteries state. It will also tell you when your battery is not safe to use anymore.

~Fox

Anyone tried Energizer Ultimate Lithium? They're very high capacity and should last a bit longer since they're lithium.

I'm a bastard for double charging, it may well kill the batteries early but it gives me about 1/2 - 1 hour more out of them (2800s).

Oops, I don't think they're rechargeable :lol: Anyone know of a Li-Ion AA rechargeable battery?

Back