Release KoalaWriter [PND Beta]

S

StreaK

Application: KoalaWriter v1.0

Info: KoalaWriter is a clone of OmmWriter, a full screen, distraction free, text editor, with customizable background image and ambient music. It offers the best way to stay focused on what you are writing.

128353-2.jpg

Download:

http://pnd.to/4floor [on FaceBook Wall]

Once again, thanks for the port. However, the phrase "distraction free, text editor, with customizable background image and ambient music" is surely an oxymoron - on several levels.

That was my thought, too; a number of these sorts of editors exist, and usually trhey just use a pure black background. I can rationalize it by thinking it shoudl come with a bundle of really boring 'get the job done' backgrounds, maybe ones that make writing easier -- good contrast, etc. But background music .. thats just plain.. weird :)

Still, cool beans yo :)

jeff

Awesome app, but has anyone gotten the sound to work? Readme says something of phonon being installed, but I haven't an idea whether it is already or what. Hoping someone experienced can fill me in.

All I need is a black screen with green text and, ideally, a way to play my own music while typing. Something like JDarkRoom would be the bomb...Actually, JDarkRoom has a linux .jar file, so maybe WizardStan's java.pnd could run it...

Awesome app, but has anyone gotten the sound to work? Readme says something of phonon being installed, but I haven't an idea whether it is already or what. Hoping someone experienced can fill me in.

Actually I never had luck with using phonon, as it seems to be installed, but does nothing and throws errors on start like "could not initialize phonen backend". Can you check the out file of the pnd when trying to play music?

You know, you can play music using another app; Pandora multitasks nicely ;)

(This is why I never really 'got' putting music players into editors; its a step towards "one app should do it all, badly" ;)

jeff

(This is why I never really 'got' putting music players into editors; its a step towards "one app should do it all, badly" ;)

jeff

The trick is making a set of global hotkeys for said music player that doesn't futz around with the hotkeys for the text editor(so you can skip tracks, pause/play, etc. from within the editor - without having to switch back and forth).

jeff
Bah, what do you know, old timer? XP

You make a fair point Jeff, but this particular app's interface is simpler and more organized for its goal than the full OS or the alternative and more functional applications. So while it is trying to accomplish tasks normally done by multiple apps, it a) groups functionality I would use together often in a _simplistic_ interface, and b ) narrowly groups said functionality in the sense that there aren't a laundry list of tasks being accomplished (typing text, pretty wallpaper, music, and that's it). We're not providing robust playlist or media conversion support, and we're also not trying to send e-mails or record a video of the app in use (that's just weird). This narrow objective legitimates the app's existence, in my mind.

Additionally, it appears that it makes typewriter sounds as well, which perhaps may be gimmicky, but perhaps one might find that relaxing.

Lastly as a minimalist I would hope that the developer assure that the sound not working is indeed intentional and that any resource allocation has been respectively disabled to prevent waste.

EDIT: Killed stupid Tom Cruise emoticon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, typewriter sounds ..

<offtopic>

I wrote a IF (interactive fiction) interpreter many years back, and had a typewriter styled interface om it; I even bought a rare and ancient typewriter so as I could sample it for authentic noises. It was cute, but after awhile I got tired of it .. but I did like the idea of having paper scrolling up as you issued instructions, nicely animated.

</offtopic>

Sorry, off topic, but .. was cool :)

jeff

Back