Kitchen Sink Demo (16k)

TheMinder

My first effort with the demo framework can be found here .

It's a simple thing but it's always good to get something on the board because then you can look back and either be pleased or frantically try to disassociate yourself from it.

I wanted to do a 16K thing but it falls short of that at 10768 bytes - more work on the "music" would have filled some more space, as would some proper effects.

I've not actually managed to read all the Demo Development thread started by DZZ, but i got up to Demo4 and after being lost managed to see that sound appeared in Demo5 so cobbled that on as well (the bit of sound in the demo is just 136 synthevents which was possibly a bit lazy).

The only attempt to optimise was to compile using -O2.

I couldn't for the life of me get CodeBlocks to behave as i wanted it to (my fault and not the software) and if anyone else trying this sort of thing under windows has the same issues then they might want to create a .bat file in their /devkitGP2X/bin folder that does the compiling and linking.

Any feedback would be great.

Sadly, I left my GP2X with my eldest daughter today, since she's proven she can use it and care for it and it gets zero scratches.

Describe more of what the proof of concept does?

Nothing much really - you get scrolling text across a screen divided into 4 windows, one has the traditional starfield in it, the others have random shapes drawing in them, and a small snippet of sound plays in the background.

Although reading back that makes it sound much grander than it is.

I just thought it seemed a shame for the framework and the work put into that thread by many to just die after the demo competition.

TheMinder posted on Oct 11 2006 at 03:08 PM said:
I just thought it seemed a shame for the framework and the work put into that thread by many to just die after the demo competition.

Hm...What thread are we talking about here? Not that I'll be doing any developing in the near future if my Jeep really is as fuXXored as it seems, but still...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back