Killer Apps

Windy

Still Fresh
With the delays things seem overly negative at the moment. However, a release to the public in maybe a couple of weeks looks realistic, and there are already devices with a number of devs.

On the bright side there will be a number of killer apps on day one in a device which will take effective advantage of them. for me this includes

PSX Emulation
SNES emulation
Mega Drive emulation
Amiga emulation
Atari ST emulation

Many other games

Many non gaming apps

Maybe N64 round the corner
Maybe GBA round the corner (not sure what is happening with GBA emulation)

Also expandability through USB and it looks like there is a lot of interest in music and MIDI apps

Choice of operating systems apart from the native implementation (including Android which has been demonstrated which will open up access to a further range of apps)

How about a positive thread - What do others see as killer apps on day one, or near future?

Killer feature for me, besides gaming and productivity: Learning Linux. I want to _understand_ how it works. I tinkered a bit with Linpus on my Aspire One, but its unreliability forced me to install XP.

I think that PSX emulation will get pretty good. A lot of games will run full-speed, some of them perfectly. But I don't think that we'll ever see every PSX game running perfectly. However, there will be bugs fixed for our favorites, you can bet on that.

I can't wait for the Pandora :) I know not every emulator will be perfect at first, but I think part of the joy is in development slowly getting better. Even if you're not a developer, it's all fun In my opinion. And we can all help in various ways. No other console will offer that unique experience... well, there are a few ;)

Even when delays get you guys down, at the end of the day at least this is happening.

Yeah a psx emu would be sweet if it's playable, I'm itching for some kurushi and g-police, if I could play those I would be a happy chap

talk to me about the other OS please, Android you say? This interests me, how hard a process would it be getting a second OS setup, and I guess it would be a dual boot setup where you can juggle between the 2 as appose to just having the new installed OS?
Also is it possible to get google latitude running, or would that only be possible if pandora can connect to mobile and use it's gps? My friends have android phones and use that app

killer app at the moment would be msn webcam chatting with my friends. i already bought 2 small webcams for pandora.

http://cgi.ebay.nl/SNAKE-5-0MEGA-PIXEL-USB-WEB-CAM-CAMERA-WEBCAM-FOR-VISTA_W0QQitemZ250584533921QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Webcams?hash=item3a58008ba1

And:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14991

I really hope this feature/app will exist soon...

PS: yes i know those webcams only have 1,3mp camera's. but my acer aspire also got a 1,3mp crystal eye webcam and is very good.

@borgqueenx - The DealExtreme camera that you linked to works excellently with Linux. I have one - if you want, I could try to get a couple of snapshots with it later, so you can compare the quality to your Acer Aspire's camera. :p (I'm not at my Linux box right now.)

After reading the thread title I was so disappointed. I was hoping for apps that would aid in, and speed up assassinations :(

Maybe something that could tie in with outlook to help schedule those busy bookings

Prometheus said:
@borgqueenx - The DealExtreme camera that you linked to works excellently with Linux. I have one - if you want, I could try to get a couple of snapshots with it later, so you can compare the quality to your Acer Aspire's camera. :p (I'm not at my Linux box right now.)

I am might also be interested in buying a small camera for the Pandora.
It would be great to have some snapshots :)

Also can you easily adjust the focus on it ? If I buy one I might want to use it for reading bar code so I would need to be able to have a clear enough picture of a bar code.

I thinking of hacking something together with Zbar and python. http://zbar.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by a moderator:
You can adjust the focus by rotating the lens surround, yes, although I've heard that on some units this can be harder to turn than on others. (Mine has a good amount of resistance - it won't easily be knocked out of focus, but it's not too difficult to adjust it, either.)

I'll try to get a picture of a barcode when I do the snapshots tonight - shouldn't be too difficult to get one! :lol:

Ok, I've taken some snapshots, as well as a size-comparison photo. :p

Firstly, a squishy Tux in low lighting conditions;

Webcam_-_Tux_Low_Light.jpg

And the same Tux under a very bright triple-LED lamp, looking a bit ominous;

Webcam_-_Tux_Bright_Light.jpg

Next, a barcode, from a delicious Malteser Bunny treat, as it was the only easily-photographable thing with a barcode that I had to hand when I took the picture. :p

Webcam_-_Barcode_Low_Light.jpg

And the same barcode with the lamp being shone on it;

Webcam_-_Barcode_Bright_Light.jpg

And last of all, to show the size of the camera itself, here's a size comparison next to a standard 330ml soft drink can;

Webcam_-_Size_Comparison.png

I hope this is useful. :p

EDIT;

GunPei2X said:
Oldplay (or some other SID player)
This.
grin.gif

Attachments

• Webcam_-_Tux_Low_Light.jpg
    Webcam_-_Tux_Low_Light.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Webcam_-_Tux_Bright_Light.jpg
    Webcam_-_Tux_Bright_Light.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 113
  • Webcam_-_Barcode_Low_Light.jpg
    Webcam_-_Barcode_Low_Light.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Webcam_-_Barcode_Bright_Light.jpg
    Webcam_-_Barcode_Bright_Light.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Webcam_-_Size_Comparison.png
    Webcam_-_Size_Comparison.png
    161.6 KB · Views: 131
  • grin.gif
    grin.gif
    352 bytes · Views: 113
I like how the Dr Pepper can isn't open, as if you bought it just for comparing things with.

Tanks for the snapshot...

I guess you get what you paid for. It seems usable but definitely a bit weak under low light condition.

I have got to say the cam looks really small next to that can though :)

None of the barcode snapshop were readable by Zbar. On the second snapshot I believe there is too much reflection.

Here is what I guess with my logitech webcam (no special lighting... only a powerful lamp to light up the room)

Exophase said:
I like how the Dr Pepper can isn't open, as if you bought it just for comparing things with.
Maybe someone warned them about its awful taste.

Back