bluetooth controller+pandora+tv-out known to work apps/emus?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Seems to me (with only 20 mins of fiddling, I admit)..

1) Apps known to work with bluetooth controllers (iCP or others) are a few (not many), since most of us made assumptions in out controller code when porting apps.

- picodrive

- pcsx-rearmed

Both of those two guys use slick input handler, so you can remap keys and such for multiple controllers and work fine with iCP :)

Hatari seems almost there, maybe works with other gamepads, but doesnm't seem too hapyp with iCP right now (but I didn't try too hard or hack on the code at all.)

2) Apps known to work with TV-out -- most

I've not got a cable set up right now so didn't try, but threads from July seem to suggest notaz two emus above don't work with tv-out (but is fixable on a number of levels); maybe its fixed in current hotfix alpha, or in beta tv-out setup scripts floating around? I'll bug notaz direct and find out, but have to run in a few mins so wanted to toss this email out there..

So my question is ..

Any emusor apps/games known to work end to end from Bluetooth controlled straight to TV-out? the intersection of (1) and (2) above seems to be limited ;)

Hoping to get a TV-out cable in a week and fiddle for a night, so looking for some 'known to work' combos and save on time burned re-discovering the unwheel :)

jeff

Seems to me (with only 20 mins of fiddling, I admit)..

1) Apps known to work with bluetooth controllers (iCP or others) are a few (not many), since most of us made assumptions in out controller code when porting apps.

- picodrive

- pcsx-rearmed

Both of those two guys use slick input handler, so you can remap keys and such for multiple controllers and work fine with iCP :)

Hatari seems almost there, maybe works with other gamepads, but doesnm't seem too hapyp with iCP right now (but I didn't try too hard or hack on the code at all.)

2) Apps known to work with TV-out -- most

I've not got a cable set up right now so didn't try, but threads from July seem to suggest notaz two emus above don't work with tv-out (but is fixable on a number of levels); maybe its fixed in current hotfix alpha, or in beta tv-out setup scripts floating around? I'll bug notaz direct and find out, but have to run in a few mins so wanted to toss this email out there..

So my question is ..

Any emusor apps/games known to work end to end from Bluetooth controlled straight to TV-out? the intersection of (1) and (2) above seems to be limited ;)

Hoping to get a TV-out cable in a week and fiddle for a night, so looking for some 'known to work' combos and save on time burned re-discovering the unwheel :)

jeff
Im not sure if its relevant or not but streaming music over bluetooth to an external audio device(samsung home theatre) is it possible.I heard exaile could do it a bit.Never got it working. I didnt think emus would have to be adjusted to work with tv out.Live and learn

I'm looking for the end-to-end for anyone whose tried; asI said, theres the 'left' (input to pandora) and the 'right' (pandora to TV); each halve has success and failure, but I'm looking for the success end to end.

So, while most apps will work with TV-out out of the box no instrumentation in the app needed, some will not (ie: I've not tried, but I'd hazard to guess that if any have trouble, it'd be the GLES type games. But who knows, maybe they work.)

The input side though, handling bluetooth controllers, is much more limited; most games/emus (mine included) rather assume we're looking for the pandora built in d-pad/nubs/keyboard, and don't go looking for others or work in a generalized way, so just ignore additional controllers.

jeff

I haven't played with bluetooth much..

Doesn't Work with TV out:

- Panplayer, VLC, Mplayer, gnome-mplayer will not work with the SDL/XV output with the TV-out mode.. You need to switch to X11, which in my experience doesn't work as fast.

- Ginge

- Snes9x: does work

- Picodrive..

- PCSX ReARMed

- Warcraft Orcs Vs Humans port

I'll play around some more and update my list.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's the modified SDL that those apps use. It seems that all of the stuff that doesn't work uses notaz's fancy SDL (which uses some hackery to allow for faster scaling on the Pandora).

yeah, ordered from peca, and he said he'd ship yesterday or today; not sure where he is (Czechoslovakia?) So might take a week or two to arrive .. but here's to hoping its on gods own pegasus.. ;)

Biggest problem seems to me not the emu controls, but the emu menus and launchers; I can maybe patch minimenu to allow usb/bt controls too, but we really need the full spectrum end to end, so you can quit apps, launch apps, move around in apps, and play apps, from the comfort of your couch bluetooth :)

jeff

since im front that part of the world, im just gonna chime in to point out that czechoslvakia doesnt exist anymore, its czech republik and slovakia now, and i know some people are highly anal about that in that part of europe

since im front that part of the world, im just gonna chime in to point out that czechoslvakia doesnt exist anymore, its czech republik and slovakia now, and i know some people are highly anal about that in that part of europe
It does matter only official. Many Slovak and Czech are friends. We didn't fight as people in former Yugoslavia, we just split our country. From this time we make a joke that after EU constitute a federation it will be called as "United states of Europe and Slovakia" ;-)

I decide to send one cable to Skeezix ASAP as I'm know that he is developing for Pandora. Sent as "prioritaire" which means "air mail" - but AFAIK Link does wait 3 weeks or so for his package :-/ OK, one guy from UK does wait 3 weeks too. I think that sometimes it takes some time...

Anyway - Skeezix - I wish You luck with your baby! It is amazing process - a few minutes to design and 9 month to develop ;-)

Biggest problem seems to me not the emu controls, but the emu menus and launchers; I can maybe patch minimenu to allow usb/bt controls too, but we really need the full spectrum end to end, so you can quit apps, launch apps, move around in apps, and play apps, from the comfort of your couch bluetooth :)

well, i think that will be a great move on pandora standardization, maybe too demanding as it will require all devs to get back to work. A good start imho would be a keybinding HID manager app (to pair bt devices or even usb gamepad) , to make them work like the dpad + button, having your own binding settings

Now that is a good idea!

If there could be a helper app, that pairs bluetooth and other gamepads and configures their buttons to be mapped as the pandorabuttons (maybe some mapperapp here), that would bring compatibility with almost every game or emu out there.

yeah, that is a good idea; I brought it up with some other folks in IRC a few days ago as well .. if only I had more time :) But someone will do it eventually .. a generic input-mapper-to-pandora-native, or build somethign into pndevmapperd to map some input to some output event, arbitrarily; be cool if you coudl just mix and match any device with any function, you know?

But in the short term, we'll all see if we can grow the support list.

peca -- we've got a 4 year old already, but just hadn't expected twins.. having _3_ kids just seems like a lot, but I'll find out soon enough ;) Hopefully cable show sup before they do, not after .. doh :) I'm trying to cram in some good emu crazyness before so that maybe I can play (at 3am and other weird times ;) as coding while horribly sleep deprived is never good :)

I actually think Hatari shoudl work great -- iCP in 'keyboard mode' can't be mapped in Hatari right now due to oddities of both sides, but could probably map it using the normal pandora keyboard since the iCP just spits out keys in that mode, so it woudl probabyl work .. if not, I'll fix. I want to play Time Bandits on my 50" TV without dragging out my old STs...

jeff

Confirmed.. Hatari works fine with iCP (in HID keyboard mode, boot iCP while holding 'A').

Just configure Hatari to use w-a-d-s for up-left-right-down and (say) p to fire (B on iCP) and it plays fine. Use Pandora keyboard to configure those keys into 'joystick as keyboard' in Hatari, and then iCP will just send the same keystrokes so it works.

jeff

@Skeeix: It seems that delivering to USA lasts circa 10 days. One package returned back to me after 20 days as non-delivered (without specified reason - damn!).

With luck, this week then; or I pray early next week ..

(Can you believe .. in 2 weeks I"m having twins. *starting to freak out*)

jeff

*starting to freak out*

Heh heh, that is going to be one loooooooong freakout session, skeezix.

Good luck to you and your lady, and the two newcomers. It will be exciting to hear your news!

I'm a twin, what we did to our parents... yeah I would prep for freaking out.

Back