Keyboard Question - Simple Answer?

Dingo_aus

Website
www.users.on.net
Ok, I'm new. I've looked around for info about hooking up a keyboard to the GP2x.

I don't see any definative answers.

I'm wondering if the obvious has been overlooked.

Consider:

The EXT port contains 2 UART (RS232) ports.

Keyboards for Palm pilots etc transmit the ASCII code in UART. (alternatively there are heaps of projects that allow a PC keyboard to interface to a uC and output serial comms. (this is the sort of thing I'm talking about - http://shop.store.yahoo.com/justdeals/9672080403nr.html)

So can anyone see a reason that a palm pilot keyboard couldn't be hooked up to a UART in the EXT and then a really simple "driver" be written. (presumable echo the EXT uart to the right device).

The only problem I can think of is the actual connections and power to drive the keyboard.

On the upside, these keyboards are designed to be portable and detachable. (and they are cheap as chips)

Ok, I'm new. I've looked around for info about hooking up a keyboard to the GP2x.

I don't see any definative answers.

I'm wondering if the obvious has been overlooked.

Consider:

The EXT port contains 2 UART (RS232) ports.

Keyboards for Palm pilots etc transmit the ASCII code in UART. (alternatively there are heaps of projects that allow a PC keyboard to interface to a uC and output serial comms. (this is the sort of thing I'm talking about - http://shop.store.yahoo.com/justdeals/9672080403nr.html)

So can anyone see a reason that a palm pilot keyboard couldn't be hooked up to a UART in the EXT and then a really simple "driver" be written. (presumable echo the EXT uart to the right device).

The only problem I can think of is the actual connections and power to drive the keyboard.

On the upside, these keyboards are designed to be portable and detachable. (and they are cheap as chips)

Maybe this AT to Serial converter is usefull.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back