Keyboard feel

Is your Pandora keyboard:

• Total voters

Well, I'll try to look into getting some domecaps.
The mainboard would only need a small modification, the keymat wouldn't probably need any modification at all, so if I get proper domecaps, we can decide that before production.

The fact that the two of you can even consider touch typing on a keyboard the size of the Pandora or Pyra is simply odd.
I thought we were talking about keyboard feel, who mentioned touch typing?

If you're truly touch typing on these - good for you. Those are some mutant-like skinny fingers you have - but good for you.
Oi! You calling me a freak? :p

I think I have slightly bigger than average hands with fingers of average width. Formally speaking, I don't even touch type on a desktop computer. I started learning to type at age 5 while playing sierra adventure games. Through the years I developed the habit to just strike a key with whichever finger comes close at the time. This is almost equivalent to touch-typing, but with more variation and errors :)

As a consequence, I use 10 fingers on almost any device I type on including calculators and even the pandora.

The primary use case still needs to be thumb typing - which means somewhat rounded tops and relatively short throws are OK.
No argument here.

I wonder what that method of typing is called. It sounds a lot like how I type, and I have had several typing classes over the years since I first started typing on my own. Those didn't help me get better at touch typing either.

I'm not sure it has a name. I type that way myself, though it sounds like my accuracy is slightly higher than Caine's. I tend to think it is a form of touch-typing, as I don't look at the keyboard when typing, it's just made up of muscle movements that were built up naturally rather than being taught.

I look frequently, but my typing in the dark and such shows that I don't need to look as much as I do. I think part of it is how much I switch between different keyboards, so the slight variations change where things are in relation to a finger. I am much more accurate and quick with a keyboard I have been using for a while, such as my main personal one.

If I ever switch to Dvorak I will try to learn the right way.

Back