KeeperFX

d3ath_2_all

Still Fresh
Hey, I dont know alot about compiling code for the pandora but I just wanted to know if it was possible to compile the following source code so that it would run on the pandora.

KeeperFX

I do not yet own a pandora but if this would run, it would be a real seller for me.

Thanks, Ian

It could be made to run, but it is an application written for Windows, thus it would need a bit of patience and comprehension to facilitate a port.

The majority of the work would be just to get some of the Windows API usage changed for Pandora, sound and so on.. so its not a quick port, by no means impossible, but not something to be done lightly in an afternoon. Maybe a week of hacking..

The problem with remaking games is that usually the remakes are abandoned at some stage and never finished. This means that all the work put into such remake is lost, as it usually isn't finished enoughly to be used. Making games requires lots of time, and often volunteers do not have enough will to finish the project.

Bearing this in mind, I've decided I won't try to remake the game from start. Instead, I've learned binary formats of EXE and DLL files, and modified the Dungeon Keeper executable file to become a DLL.

With my new DLL, I was able to create very simple executable file which may be used as complete code to run the game. Now I'm incrementally rewriting DK; functions which are not yet rewritten are called from the DLL, so the project functions like whole game, even tho it wasn't completely rewritten yet.

Many functions are already rewritten and fixed. Structure of the code allows to take advantages of every rewritten part, by fixing bugs and making new functions. The project is open-source, and its code is downloadable here.
Seems like they are making calls into an x86 binary for functions which haven't been rewritten yet. I think a week of hacking is optimistic.

Oh yeah, that is a bit of a bummer .. didn't see that in their sources yet ..

Back