Keep Pandora A Pmp, Browser, And Game Handheld Only!

MWeston said:
I agree with what you are saying Fat Angus. People who visit this forum have a pretty good idea of what to expect, but the mass market won't. There will definitely need to be information that makes it very clear how easy the system will be to use and even though the system runs on 'Linux', using the device can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. The GP2X seems to be a good example of what not to do when launching a Linux based hand held, but it has definitely improved over the years.

There are topics about the "one-click" install system Craig is working on and I think this is proof that we want this system to be very user friendly. We can take a page from Nokia in regards to their tablets. They run on Linux, but for the casual user, they don't even have to care about that. For people who like to get involved and write their own code, they can download an SDK and go nuts!

I think the system looks like it does in order to keep it open to more markets and the advertisement will have to be tailored to each market. We definitely took the gaming controls into heavy consideration to make sure that it is very functional and a major focus for Pandora but I also love that fact that it can be so much more!

A vote for the one click system! My n800 works so well without me getting in the way of it!

This needs to be sold to the non nerds. But the original point of this post was to keep it a game machine and loose the UMPC bits, and that is just wrong I think!

Now, back on topic!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still very interested in how one-click-installing is going to work for roms. I mean, obviously, it can't be directly incorporated as an "add roms" option, since that would imply it was created and intended to be used as an emu-machine for pirates. Which would seem to immediately add a layer of complexity for those interested in using a Pandora to play their old games, but still wanting simplicity.

Better if emulator developrs adopt a standard for where on the SD card to look for them, or to just implement a file browser that makes it simple to navigate to wherever you felt like putting them.... expecting the user to copy files to a directory is hardly leaving the realm of 'user friendly'. that's basic computer use, practically.

Stealth Bagel said:
expecting the user to copy files to a directory is hardly leaving the realm of 'user friendly'. that's basic computer use, practically.
I completely agree... On the other hand, you'd be surprised. "Most people" will, in my experience, think it's a hassle to have to open the directory browser of their system. Most people aren't even aware that the windows file browser thingy exists! They just use the My Computer link on their desktop.

MWeston said:
I agree with what you are saying Fat Angus. People who visit this forum have a pretty good idea of what to expect, but the mass market won't. There will definitely need to be information that makes it very clear how easy the system will be to use and even though the system runs on 'Linux', using the device can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. The GP2X seems to be a good example of what not to do when launching a Linux based hand held, but it has definitely improved over the years.
You're right about the gp2x. I only heard about the gp2x when trying to search for emulators running on GBA and DS's... inevitably it would lead to the gp32 when then sent me to gp2x. Time wasted on the DS and GBA... at least now i have a gp2x.

lubidog said:
This needs to be sold to the non nerds. But the original point of this post was to keep it a game machine and loose the UMPC bits, and that is just wrong I think!

Now, back on topic!!!
I think this is the part where my engineering degree's writing skills failed me again. I never wanted features taken away, the topic "Keep Pandora a Pmp, Browser, and Game Handheld Only" meant to keep the marketing of it away from what most N.Americans think of when they hear "UMPC".

But yes! How does this go the rest of the non-gp32x nerds?

-signed
Fat Spammer Agnus
:-o

I was personally never able to convince anyone the GP2X was as amazing as I thought it was. I think a lot of people saw it basically as a portable emulator system. I do believe that if I can say "well, here's a game machine that's also a web surfer, e-mail checker and portable media player, AND you can download games and stuff on the fly without even logging on to your PC, I think I'd have a stronger selling point for it.

Also, if the TV-out situation didn't look so tangled (all that wire!) and gave a bad image.

Tobriand said:
I'm still very interested in how one-click-installing is going to work for roms. I mean, obviously, it can't be directly incorporated as an "add roms" option, since that would imply it was created and intended to be used as an emu-machine for pirates. Which would seem to immediately add a layer of complexity for those interested in using a Pandora to play their old games, but still wanting simplicity.
We don't "update" roms, do we? :p

The emulators will be inn the one-click-system, not the ILLEGALL ROMZ.

Rock on :gp2x

How you market the machine is a very interesting topic.

Looking back to when the gp2x came out... The marketing by gph was zero so was done purely by the distributors. As a result, the marketing was mostly focused on UK, Germany and Turkey as that is where the distributors were most active.

With limited budgets, for the main stream (ie not including ads in retrogamer) there was a reliance on PR. The problem with this is that the message needs to be 100% clear as otherwise journos have to think for themselves and may well get it wrong :) And additionally the quality of the product has to very high as otherwise its too each for them to sink it.

The reality was that there was some good mag / newspaper articles, but many weren't overly sure what it was 'for' (interesting machine for making your own games was the average) and knocked the quality of the product. And possibly Daily Mail readers will never be likely fanboys.

In the past I've thought that 'focussed' marketing of the gp2x might work well - ie different adds in Linux user to that in retrogamer, to that on internet car forum web pages etc. But can't blame Craig and the others for being reluctant to advertise GPH's product (and see a percentage of the sales bought go Hong Kong).

Whilst the likes of Nintendo obviously have huge budgets, a better case study is the Asus EEC, which seems to have done well based on a simple message (mini laptop which is cheap) and more from good PR than adverts.

The pandora's marketing budget will no doubt be 'conservative' and hence at least initially the marketing will be potentially be based on PR. For that to work well, I'd say the Pandora needs a very clear and concise 'aim'. ie even the most uninterested hack has to be able to see what the Pandora is 'designed' to do (even if in reality its designed to do a whole lot more).

Im not sure what that is - it could be 'mini eec that plays games'. But the shorter and sweeter the aim, the more likely that it will get a positive review. The problem with comparing to an EEC is there are bound to be dozens of competitors in 3-6 months.

Obviously marketing it as an emulator is dangerous. 'Open source gaming machine' may open it to the geek crowd. I'm not sure if 'retro gaming' device may be a politically correct way of saying emulator machine.

The specs are done, the design is taking shape and no doubt the manufacturing and packaging is being arranged in the background. How the machine is marketed may be decided as well.. but if not, good luck Craig. And keep it simple...

PS As we are all arm chair experts, possibly a tweak of the affiliate model can work well....

andyB911 said:
But can't blame Craig and the others for being reluctant to advertise GPH's product (and see a percentage of the sales bought go Hong Kong).
The GP2X is not Chinese

But you're right, marketing is very important and I'm sure they'll do better than GPH

I think what andy might have meant was that for all the money we invested in the GP2X advertising, software dev, websites etc. in europe a lot of people bypassed us and bought from cheaper HK websites.

Thankfully this time round we get to profit from all sales meaning we can put a lot more in to publicity.

And don't worry, we are keeping a very close eye on the EEE :)

craigix said:
I think what andy might have meant was that for all the money we invested in the GP2X advertising, software dev, websites etc. in europe a lot of people bypassed us and bought from cheaper HK websites.

Thankfully this time round we get to profit from all sales meaning we can put a lot more in to publicity.

Still planning to steal the UI ;)

andyB911 said:

Obviously marketing it as an emulator is dangerous. 'Open source gaming machine' may open it to the geek crowd. I'm not sure if 'retro gaming' device may be a politically correct way of saying emulator machine.

The specs are done, the design is taking shape and no doubt the manufacturing and packaging is being arranged in the background. How the machine is marketed may be decided as well.. but if not, good luck Craig. And keep it simple...

PS As we are all arm chair experts, possibly a tweak of the affiliate model can work well....
That's interesting. I saw a full page GP2X ad in one of last year's RetroGamer issues and it had no reservations about playing tons of retro. I've not seen that type of advertisements in the US for any system. Even the arcade cabinet makers are very careful treading on classic gaming.

I wonder what other angle you can use for selling retro gaming...

craigix said:

Yep - I didn't want to point fingers but there are distributors in HK who, whilst they did a service by stocking the gp32 in the early days and the gp2x and therefore brought some people into the fold, never advertised or actively supported the scene.

Therefore the other distributors put a lot of effort in and attracted interested buyers, a percentage of who then bought from HK as a bit cheaper (as don't pay the same taxes - VAT or equivalent).

It will be nice if they stock the pandora.. this time every sale is a winner :)

Fat Agnus said:
andyB911 said:

That's interesting. I saw a full page GP2X ad in one of last year's RetroGamer issues and it had no reservations about playing tons of retro. I've not seen that type of advertisements in the US for any system. Even the arcade cabinet makers are very careful treading on classic gaming.

I wonder what other angle you can use for selling retro gaming...

I think that may have been the very first open source ad :p Much debate on here about it and one of the members put it together. And very nice it is too.

Doesn't actually mention the work emulation and I think you are on 100% safe ground with emulator of micros (just don't use the E word). Most of the 8bit software is now open source and I don't think anyone will be concerned about 16bit emulation. So the listed systems doesn't actually mention anything other than home micros and PC.

Probably the same again could be done... although Craig et al have to be a bit more careful this time around as there is more point to Nintendo / Sony suing the creator rather than just a distributor.

Obviously they don't sue PC manufacturers and they run emulators - but PCs aren't sold with the specific intention of emulation.

If you see the pandora being pushed in a slightly odd direction, I'd suspect that its partly to avoid a law suit. Lets face it, if they can shut down Lik Sang then you certainly want to avoid giving Sony any justification... as they certainly have the will and firepower to shut this down.

I remember when I first saw the GP32 in a quarter size article form GamesTM which at the time was enough to convince me to buy it from the retailer listed (gbax.com). IIRC, it did mention being able to play old PC games such as the ScummVM engine and Doom as well as old systems.

yaustar said:
I remember when I first saw the GP32 in a quarter size article form GamesTM which at the time was enough to convince me to buy it from the retailer listed (gbax.com). IIRC, it did mention being able to play old PC games such as the ScummVM engine and Doom as well as old systems.
Exact same way I found out out about the GP32!

Must have been August 2003.

I saw the GP32 on a god awful television program called Gamezville :p.

I heard about the GP32 from Lik-Sang, then decided on getting myself a real computer first. I never did buy one, and I only got a GP2X last Summer.

You know, something to take note of is that I didn't get a GP2X for a long time because I looked on these forums and read about all the issues with video and music playback that hadn't been talked about for years. I eventually just came on and asked if it was worth it, and everybody pretty much said, yeah, it has issues, but you'll be having too much fun to really care. Pandora HAS to be easier to use. I'm not really worried about that though, since this isn't even close to GPH making it.

craigix said:

Let's also remember that liksang and playasia were able to give better prices because they are a massive distributor with better automation. They spend less time per unit and are likely to ignore emails from users.

Hopefully the facotry chosen to create the Pandora will be able to distribute it quickly to all suppliers, and I hope that soonish, large distributors will also get their hands on the Pandora.

Yrx said:
You know, something to take note of is that I didn't get a GP2X for a long time because I looked on these forums and read about all the issues with video and music playback that hadn't been talked about for years. I
Ditto. I saw the gp32 while researching emulators for the GBA and DS and that lead me to the gp2x. Like you, I was hesitant and wondered if the faster emulators on the gp2x was worth some of the issues.

These two videos on YouTube sealed the deal for me to oder it (from lik-sang):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_NrTS_ut74

and this like 8-10 part series from unboxing to playing some emulators from David Beoulve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uOUjg94w84

these were some of the first videos and they just got me hooked.

Back