Keep Pandora A Pmp, Browser, And Game Handheld Only!

It's not being sold at all yet, so I'm not sure how you can judge its marketing. Wait & see.

No. Let the possibilities be endless, and you stop dictating your minority wishes to the masses.

Parkydr said:
As long as it isn't marketed as a purely emulation machine (like the GP2X) it'll be ok.
That is all I want it to be...

Last edited by a moderator:
bagmouse7 said:
Parkydr said:
As long as it isn't marketed as a purely emulation machine (like the GP2X) it'll be ok.
That is all I want it to be...

Right, note the 'purely' :)

Fat Agnus said:
Let's keep Pandora a bad ass handheld for gaming, browsing, and media player. I feel like it's being sold as something it isn't.
As far as I've read the threads when the whole pandora-discussion started.. It was never intended to be just a handheld.. It's not a GP3X or something..

Fat Agnus said:
Let's keep Pandora a bad ass handheld for gaming, browsing, and media player. I feel like it's being sold as something it isn't.
Oh, right, it has the potential to be a full-fledged PDA, or whatever the software developers can imagine, but let´s just somehow prevent it from being anything other than you´re intrested in.

The idea of an open source handheld computer is that any software developer can program what he wants for it. If you don´t like that, go buy a PSP, it has gaming, browsing and multimedia. Or, just use the programs you like and don´t bother about stuff you aren´t interested in.

lubidog said:
No. Let the possibilities be endless, and you stop dictating your minority wishes to the masses.
It's not the rest of us that needs to be sold... anyone spending the time to visit this forum, let alone respond to a thread like this is already sold.

Craig's got to be less starry eye'd and focus on selling more units than the gp2x / gp32.

How many units do you think Craig expects to sell in 2008? Take a wild guess... or better yet, ask him about it.

Look, if it was sold purely as a game-playing device, it would then be in direct competition with the Nintendo DS and PSP -- and it would struggle to make even the smallest dent in that market share.

This device offers so much more, and it will catch those game players seeking something extra.

Yeah. I mean, what the creator of this thread is asking is for CraigIX to cripple the device's capabilities. Just the fact that it's opensource means that people are going to program things that aren't just gaming. The focus is most certainly going to be on gaming, since that's what it's built for, but CraigIX doesn't really have any say in what the community does with it.

Fat Agnus said:
lubidog said:
It's not the rest of us that needs to be sold... anyone spending the time to visit this forum, let alone respond to a thread like this is already sold.

Craig's got to be less starry eye'd and focus on selling more units than the gp2x / gp32.

How many units do you think Craig expects to sell in 2008? Take a wild guess... or better yet, ask him about it.

Firstly, why?

Secondly, why?

Thirdly, why?

I am just a consumer. Craig is a smart man, I trust him. Yours was a pointless post.

Read the other comments from the rest of us.

lubidog said:
I am just a consumer. Craig is a smart man, I trust him. Yours was a pointless post.

Read the other comments from the rest of us.
Our goals are the same. I'd like nothing more than for Pandora to make it into the mainstream and sell in volumes the gp2x and gp32 never dreamt of. Spending ones efforts wisely and having some market focus is what's going to let Craig sell more of this.

I can email and tell him this myself. Others already have. I hoped this thread would knock some sense into him. But it seems this thread has turned into another pep rally for a magic device that will sell until we run out of silicon.

You may discover something worth learning when you read something contrary to popular opinion. You're not just a consumer. Readers and posters to this forum are in a unique position because the products we discuss is in such a niche market. It's especially true if you consider just how far along (or lack thereof) Pandora really is. (hint: not really) e.g. gp32x.de users changed the color of the case from white to black.

Go ahead... take a wild guess at how many units Craig would consider a success for 2008. Anyone? How many people other than Craig is developing Pandora as a full time job?

Back