KDE on OpenPandora

lhn555

Still Fresh
How do I install KDE on the Pandora without compiling KDE from the source code? Thanks. :)

How do I install KDE on the Pandora without compiling KDE from the source code? Thanks. :)

Well looks like Angstrom never had a KDE package made. I think the only way is to compile it from source or have someone else build it for you.

When I was using KDE, RAM usage at idle was very close if not over the Pandora's memory capacity. Unless things have changed, it's just not built for this device. Even Gnome would be big.

When I was using KDE, RAM usage at idle was very close if not over the Pandora's memory capacity. Unless things have changed, it's just not built for this device. Even Gnome would be big.
Actually Gnome works quite well if you OC the CPU to 1ghz.

^Oh, ok. I was thinking there wouldn't be a lot of RAM left over, but that's cool it works alright.

I'm guessing none of you will build it then. Thanks anyway. :)

I know some people have played around with KDE4 on the nokia n900. It should be possible to have it running on the Pandora.

That being said it probably requires a fair bit of work and beside the coolness factor I am not sure it would bring that much.

Actually Gnome works quite well if you OC the CPU to 1ghz.
Yeah, but if I was to OC it that high, how long would it be before the bugger burned out?

I intend to OC a bit anyway - go to my local Maplin and get some heatsinks just to make sure it doesn't fry itself. Does the thing have a fan?

Yeah, but if I was to OC it that high, how long would it be before the bugger burned out?

I intend to OC a bit anyway - go to my local Maplin and get some heatsinks just to make sure it doesn't fry itself. Does the thing have a fan?
OCing generally would not reduce the life of your CPU by a noticable amount - it's the overvolting needed to reach the higher levels that does. See here for more info.

Also, you might find this quote from another thread useful:

The candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long.
True. But still TI rates the lifetime expectancy on this SOC at 40k hours if exclusively run at opp5 and opp6. 5 years of continuous use is quite enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back