Just Ordered A Yinlips Ydpg16...good Buy?

darklight1138

I have a Caanoo which I love, but I want to be able to play more PSX games as well as N64, plus I want Wifi and a few other features. Sounds like the G16 was the best bang for the buck. I do have some questions.

I heard that the sound lag still persists. Is it that noticeable and will Yinlips fix it (as in, have they acknowledged the issue?)?

When playing CPS2 games, like the 194x series, while playing vertically (turning the device sideways) can you program the control pad to be the buttons and the analog stick to be the controls? Or is there another way to play while playing these games sideways? Or is it just better to scale it for horizontal play?

How are GBA games? On the Caanoo, a lot didn't work and ones that did feature some sound lag or other issues (like garbled text on Apprentice of the Force or Batman TAS).

Are there any game systems the G16 can't emulate that the Caanoo can? In other words, in upgrading to the G16, will I lose any emulators?

I paid a lot less for this G16 than the Caanoo. Was it worth it if I love retro games? Anything I am have to get used to or won't like with the new unit?

Also, can anyone recommend a good (and cheap!) case?

Thanks, guys!

Oh, two more questions:

Does MAME feature more titles than say the Caanoo version?

Also, is there support for Sega 32x as well as Turbografx 16 and CD?

Emulation on Android is pretty good, here a comprehensive emulator list. Make sure you don't miss Robert Broglia's stuff.

Regarding sound lag. I have the JXD S7100, JXD S5110, Yinlips G16 and Xperia Play. All JXD and Yinlips devices suffer from sound lags, while the Xperia Play does not have this problem at all. Very strange.

The G16 is a nice handheld. Good size, screen resolution and performance for emulators. My biggest complaint is the d-pad. Really just four (pretty sloppy) buttons. The right arrow button on my device even gets stuck sometimes.

In order to get rid of the pre-installed (chinese) bloatware and get access to the regular market, you can install a custom ROM (firmware). I use SnaKemaN ROM, which is available here. The ROM must be installed using Yinlips Live Suite. A video and the software is available here. Rooting the device is optional (not necessary to install SnaKemaN ROM).

The sound latency problem is inherent with Android. I've read that this problem is extremely complex and attempts to cure it by Google so far have failed. In fact they tried correcting it with ICS but it seems to be even worse. There are work arounds in some custom roms and certain phones have had this specific problem addressed but I don't think it ever gets rid of the sound lag completely. I can't really notice it that much on my G16, it's definately much better than other Android units out there.

Every emu I've tried so far has been great. SNES, GBA, Genesis, NES, MAME, PCE and PSX all seem to be much better than any GPH or Dingoo device. N64 of course is not perfect but still very good, you just have to do some testing. But Yoshi's right, all the .emu emulators by Robert Broglia are top notch.

The fake analog stick is just that, fake. It's mapped to the dpad and you can't change it unfortunately.

I thought you were eyeing the G18, what made you change your mind? You made the better choice imo!

Thanks for the very helpful replies! I appreciate it. I will definitely use those links! :)

Thanks for the detailed info about the D-pad, Yoshi. I probably will feel the same way about it. I had a Wiz before my Caanoo. Wasn't that just 4 buttons as well? If so I suppose I can get over it as it sounds like everything else is pretty cool.

Orion, it's really just down to costs. I couldn't really find the G18 for less than $130 or $140. The G16 was about $90 with free shipping. Might could have found it cheaper but I figured if I waited anymore I might change my mind, haha.

Back