Jph's First Caanoo Game

jph_iterationGAMES

Still Fresh
Website
iterationgames.com
Ok, I have been messing about with nlove the beta of the Love2D Game-Engine runtime ported by SiENcE. It is quite fun to get something running on the Caanoo. I have a basic game working, just a very simple robotron style shooter,. Stick to move, YAXB to fire in the four cardinal directions. If you get the game over message you can press Help I to restart. Screen wraping is availible for both you and the green things,. how long can you survive?

you need;
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/57182-nlove-062-beta-love2d-for-caanoo/page__p__924286__hl__nlove__fromsearch__1&#entry924286

Then just rename the jph.zip to jph.love and drop jph.love in with the other loves and launch with the pickel,. .

Don't bother looking at my code as it is a huge mess and just a bunch of crude hackery anyway,. I am doing this to learn Lua and Love and I don't know much about them yet, however I like to get something working before I learn the 'right' way to do it ;)
Please post any bugs or issues you notice. Also if anyone knows how to pack this up into a single game distribution I would like to know that too,. thanks.

UPDATE; again,. CCZap is the latest, now with sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thorax

Still Fresh
first of all: thx for the game :)
i think u should've told us the controls. i didn't think about shooting in the first place so i tried to dodge the squares which was pretty challenging :D
so with shooting it's ok :)
noticed one bug so far: i u get killed on a spot where a green square spawns (e.g. lower boarder) u will be game over all the time even after ingame restart. respawning in the middle would be nice :)

otherwise...funny and challenging. Highscore list would be nice ;)

SiENcE

Website
crankgaming.blogspot.com
Oh nice to see the first Love Game comming :-D.

When i finished sound and fixed some bugs on nLove we should really think about an 1day or 1week compition making a Love game.

SiENcE

Website
crankgaming.blogspot.com
This Game is challenging. I like it!

Line 241 can couse an Error:

Code:
love.graphics.setColor( math.random()*255, math.random()*255, 0, 255)

Also set the build-in font:
wrong:
Code:
font = love.graphics.newFont(love._vera_ttf, 10)
right:
Code:
font = love.graphics.newFont(10)

Would be cool if you enhance the Game. Make Levels.

If you can, please add PC and Dingoo Controlls. Thx :-D!

The next release of nLove includes functions to detect the Platform (PC/Dingoo/Caanoo/Nanonote). I'm also adding more Love2d functions for compatibility.

jph_iterationGAMES

Still Fresh
Website
iterationgames.com
Thanks guys,. I did the suggested changes, and many improvments! Updated in first post. It is now 'done' except for the sounds (when availible I will add some) and perhaps also add saving the high score to the SD card. It currently keeps your high for the session but does not save this data. SiENcE - do the file writing/reading functions currently work? I will have a look and do some tests.

Anyway, now the game is about getting the highest score before the timer runs down. I did this to add a bit of stratagy to the game play. As the Greens are worth 25 points, and the Orange Mines are only worth 5 points, it now makes more sence to try to shoot the Greens while just avoiding the Mines.

I also tweeked back the particle explosions to keep a quite steady 51 FPS (press Help II to toggle FPS display), as well as re-tweeking most everything else.

SiENcE- I will add the controls for those other systems when the next ver. with the platform detect is done,. .

I am now going to go back and see if I can figure out a more object oriented approach for my codeing, and learn more Lua and Love functions. Thanks for trying this.

SiENcE

Website
crankgaming.blogspot.com
Nice.

I'm fiddling with the sound. OpenAL works but i think its to slow for Caanoo. I have to test it tomorrow.

I'm also thinking about an short love App. using the build-in lua-socket to download a gamelist of love files. The user can select a love file and download. What you think about it?

Anyway good work!

joyrider

Website
www.willemssoft.Be
Btw when sound is done, you could use SFXR this is a really must have tool for hobby (game) developpers.. It's been ported to sdl as well as far as i know but that's irelevant..

SFXR is a tool that will generate all kind of (8-bitish) sounds for based on a few parameters you give it, it was created on a ludum dare event by peter, for the people that create games there ..

here is the link :
http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

SiENcE

Website
crankgaming.blogspot.com
hi joyrider,

nlove should be compatible with Love2d. thats why i dont add own stuff.

Some time ago i also suggested to add sfxr to Love2D as you can read here.

I have to talk with bartbes (love2d developer) again about sfxr.

jph_iterationGAMES

Still Fresh
Website
iterationgames.com
I actualy would generate my oun sounds,. seems to be some code for procedural sound around the love forum,. or just use a synth and make samples. sfxr is a nice little app for doing simple sounds for sure. However, I have some old analog sysnths kicking around and like to tweek physical knobs/sliders/switches to produce these types of sounds,. . or use BUZZ [ http://buzzmachines.com/ ] to do it digitaly on the pc, gives a bit wider range of posiblities;

http://iterationgames.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Music.Music

kayuz

nice one!! i haven't seen this before! very small time for the caanoo, this time :((