Joystick Mod

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Hello Everyone,

Craig here, thought you might want to know a little simple joystick mod endorsed by us here at gp2x.co.uk.

Take off the top of the joystick, now using a knife (or whatever you like) cut off the plastic shaft. (there is plenty of room in the top left to hold the stick)

Now put it back on - should be quite improved, especially on those left presses.

-Craig

www.gp2x.co.uk

craigix posted on Dec 9 2005 at 07:46 PM said:
Hello Everyone,

Craig here, thought you might want to know a little simple joystick mod endorsed by us here at gp2x.co.uk.

Take off the top of the joystick, now using a knife (or whatever you like) cut off the plastic shaft. (there is plenty of room in the top left to hold the stick)

Now put it back on - should be quite improved, especially on those left presses.

-Craig

www.gp2x.co.uk

So is the joystick that bad?
Like is it tight, or something like that? Hmm.. ill prob do this, it makes it looser correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I donno if this wil help me, I'll try it.. But my thumb slips off the joystick, I cannot play anything. Is it analog?

Why cant they just do a damn pad? Everyother handheld uses a 8-way pad, it makes it SIMPLE. It feels analog, i donno why they wouldn't use switches anymore..

If I cannot fix the stick, I'm gonng have to offload it..

Well, the joystick is actually great for 3D games. It's circular just makes it harder to make precise movements making stuff like fighting games quite difficult. Couple that with the deadzone and it kind of sucks.

I got mine feeling much nicer by just loosening it like mad, but the best solution would probably just be a replacement for the rubber part.

craigix posted on Dec 9 2005 at 08:47 PM said:
This is just for units which have issues.

Hm.. I see man i hope mine has no errors :rolleyes:

For the less brazen, it's possible to cut a few millimeters from the center of a round toothpick and stuff it in the plastic shaft, which maintains the 'unscrewed*' effect all the time. Cutting away the shaft has the benefit of reduced throw distance/dead zone, though.

*I know there isn't a screw.

I had to raise my pad as it was being prevented by the casing from registering left. As the thumbpad was pushed to the left it was coming into contact with the case, preventing further movement, before the switch was being activated. If I tried this fix on mine I would be back where I started.

craigix posted on Dec 10 2005 at 05:46 AM said:
You mean the whole shaft???

Can anyone actually confirm if this makes a difference, not doubting craigix it would just be nice to hear some more feedback on how it feels ect.

Also craigix you mentioned a awhile back that you were looking at sellling alternative joystick heads do you have any pics or info about this??

Cheers

If you have problems with any direction this will fix it, its how we fix the returned units, always works and feels SO much better.

craigix posted on Dec 11 2005 at 04:17 PM said:
If you have problems with any direction this will fix it, its how we fix the returned units, always works and feels SO much better.

Craig, it would definately help if you posted some pics.... :D

Here's a couple of pics of what I've done to mine. Hasn't improved the directions for me, but then the problem I have was right and up-right being too close rather than problems registering left. The pad feels much nicer now though.

HPIM0279.jpg

HPIM0280.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Im going to wait until I get my dremel next week so I can make a decent job of it. Also going to be modding some other joystick heads Ive found. :)

Back