It's Time

Ender

Still Fresh
For pete's sake, people. I'd consider myself very new to this handheld community but ever since I found out about the ability for emulation gaming in a handheld I was hooked. I've been visiting about half a dozen GP2x sites every day since I found out, living day to day on new information, pictures, and movies (like a lot of you, I'm sure) but I'm getting frustrated.

It's high time for some demo vids of what the GP2x is capable of. Sellers are taking considerable amounts of preorders (from what I've gathered) but we, as a community, haven't seen one good demo vid of the abilities of this device. Someone may offer the vid of the emulation of Super Mario Deluxe, accompanied with a clip from The Fantastic Four, but that was weak! It's inconceivable that no one can offer a better look at the freakin' handheld.

I'm aware that this forum is well read by people in the know, and who are selling the device (some who already have them), and I'm honestly inquiring why we can't see things happening. I, the consumer need it, and would greatly appreciate it. I state this politely, but it seems that this hasn't gotten the job done in the past. If you're losing orders, it's your own fault. Give us some meat, milk isn't good enough anymore.

It's high time we have some definitive answers, and less talk about how we won't know until it's out. Someone knows, and if no one does, someone better find out.

Long live the GP2x....in theory...

You're assuming everything is ready to make a video of - you assume incorrectly. The hardware is still being finalized for production, the SDK is still being tweaked.

Emus, even with the help of SDL and Linux, don't just pop out like pop tarts from a toaster. And it helps for devs to actually have the finished hardware ya know?

If you don't have the temperament to be an early adopter, maybe cancel your pre-order and wait and see what happens. I don't really suggest that, because I do believe the early days will be great fun as devs do a mad rush to get first versions of projects out. But not everyone is an early adopter type personality.

This NOT like buying a Gameboy system. It's a very different animal.

I'm with you, Prophet.

So, no one can say this, this, and this will run? I refuse to believe that no one has the information to say so, absolutely. I just feel like this is a game of guessing and hoping that the GP2x will deliver.

Perhaps not a video, that's just a dream, but no confirmed information, only us sitting around speculating?

No, there's no definite way to say what will run well yet. Even the best devs would admit they'd have to speculate. You can't really know without testing code on the actual device. And even then, as with all platforms it will be a good while before devs find tricks & tweaks to make things really optimized for the hardware.

However, it's probably safe to say that GP2X will be at least as fast as the Zodiac for emulation in the beginning. And even faster after devs get to grips with the hardware.

I hear that, and I welcome any positive news towards it's emulating power because I want it to succeed. This device is a wish come true (I first thought of "dream come true", but it seemed a little strong) and is supposedly capable of doing all the things that I want a handheld to do (other than give me a back rub).

However, it's probably safe to say that GP2X will be at least as fast as the Zodiac for emulation in the beginning. And even faster after devs get to grips with the hardware.

It makes me happy to hear positive things like that towards the 2x's power. I just hope, and continue to hope until we get answers.

You're far to used to hardware manufacturers producing devkits for software houses to produce launch titles with, along with the incumbant leaking of specs and developer gossip.

This toy will have little to no commercial support, its down to us to make stuff for it. We get it at the same time as the developers.

Everyone just has to wait and see. I'm looking forward to it, I think this will provide me with far more fun than the PSP ever could.

Ender posted on Sep 23 2005 at 04:22 PM said:
I hear that at and I welcome any positive news towards it's emulating power because I want it to succeed.  This device is a wish come true (I first thought of "dream come true", but it seemed a little strong) and is supposedly capable of doing all the things that I want a handheld to do (other than give me a back rub).

It makes me happy to hear positive things like that towards the 2x's power. I just hope, and continue to hope until we get answers.

All I know is that the current GP32 is an awesome emulation and homebrew system and that is weaker than the GP2X. If the GP2X is any better at all than the GP32 it will be an amazing open platform. Since it IS better than the GP32 (we just don't know how much better) We can pretty much say it will be fine.

SNES was a bit weak on the GP32 but I remember Reesy saying that the rendering code could be cleaned up alot. If the code was cleaned and ported to GP2X and the second core used I would bet it will be real good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who had the GP32 knows what to expect from the GP2X.
If the GP2X stays true to it's roots i doubt anyone will be dissappointed. This machine will be able to handle everything the GP32 could and much more. It doesn't matter if you see videos of games playing on it as your not going to see it's true potential until people get hold of it and try different things with it.

The nes movie was more a demo: the emulator was a direct port of a linux nes emulator, ported in half an hour, no optimizations.

The Fantastic 4 movie was to show how good movie playing on the gp2x was. :)

Doesn't Squidge already have a dev unit? I mean, he got the exact item specs/names and photo's of the insides on his site/blog?

Draken posted on Sep 23 2005 at 06:12 PM said:
The nes movie was more a demo: the emulator was a direct port of a linux nes emulator, ported in half an hour, no optimizations.

Doesn't Squidge already have a dev unit? I mean, he got the exact item specs/names and photo's of the insides on his site/blog?
It was a GBC emulator.

Yuglooc posted on Sep 23 2005 at 07:14 PM said:
Draken posted on Sep 23 2005 at 06:12 PM said:

It was a GBC emulator.

Oh yeah, right, got confused, sorry. :p

I can see the disapointment as a valid point of view, considering the systems technical prowess in comparison to the gp32's.

It would have been nice to have seen an impressive tech demo or somthing running to whet the appetites of the community but that time has passed and i think our appetites are now positively dripping, never mind just getting whet!

Please don't hate me for saying this but I wouldn't exactly be shocked if the release date was slightly delayed....would you? I don't know how they did with the GP32 release but it just feels like they might be cutting it a bit close. And I know GPH isn't Sony but still.

That being said, I really hope we can see an actual working unit soon, ready and running in a real shell :)

When is someone knowledgeable going to comment on the pdf sheets which would seem to provide a lot more info on what the thing can do? <_<

Or at least explain why not?

With regard to a delay, I for one would be fairly pissed off if the release slipped to any great degree, considering the level of preorders already taken and paid for. :)

everyone with the knowledge are bound by a NDA so we will just have to be patient.

as for delays, i couldnt be too upset when you the see the length of delays on mass produced systems from the likes of nintendo. It is the norm in this business and maybe you shouldnt pre order if you are worried about this kind of thing - just wait till they are in stock.

I'm sure the project 64/ultra 64/nintendo 64 was delayed for almost a year.

before i start my comments i have infact preordered my GP2X

However it is pretty pants to expect people to preorder something that has little to no material to show what it is exactly capable of?

speculation is a plenty.....ok so it can run the quake engine and play better video....but no one knows what it can do in the area of emulation...that which the thing was supposedly built for along with homebrewed games.

Umm it might do SNES but then it might not......thats not really a good start is it....

a year and a half if memory serves and it STILL wasn't what they claimed... sorry it's one of th ethings that made me glad to buy a PS.

But yeah it'll take a dev who's not under the NDA to mess with this stuff and tell us if it's real or useful and that probably can't happen untill we have the hardware.

before i start my comments i have infact preordered my GP2X

However it is pretty pants to expect people to preorder something that has little to no material to show what it is exactly capable of?

speculation is a plenty.....ok so it can run the quake engine and play better video....but no one knows what it can do in the area of emulation...that which the thing was supposedly built for along with homebrewed games.

Umm it might do SNES but then it might not......thats not really a good start is it....

See, that's what I'm talking about. It's hard to ride this hope train, while wanting everything to go well, with no one to confirm anything. I'd love to preorder, but I'm too weary (or wary...) at this time. If there does happen to be concrete evidence out there, please share (SNES and GBA, mainly).

Well, the preordering is just for the guys who want this system as badly as me :)
(and lot of others here).

We know what the GP32 is capable of, as this is basically an upgraded GP32 with SD-Ram, more power, etc., we can imagine how well it will work.

MAME will work faster, though it already works pretty good on the GP32, it will work perfect with a bit of power more.
Same goes for SNES: Already pretty good on GP32, so why shouldn't it run perfect on the gp2x?

A lot of the top-GP32 developers are interested in the system (some are alreadly fiddling around with it), so we can be sure there will be good stuff on it.

So, why do we need to see more? The display is the same, and I can imagine a fullspeed running SNES on the same display as on the GP32.

For all the people who are new to the GP32 or gp2x:
The preorder simply isn't meant for you.
You should wait for the official release, when they can actually show some stuff running on the system.

The preorder is perfect for the old GP32 users, who do know what they can expect.

And no one forces you to preorder it.

SNES and GBA will take a while. You're not going to have that ON launch day without some sort of miracle and certainly not BEFORE.

It'd be nice to see some killer ap before launch but this isnt Sony or Nintendo, their main concern is the hardware. If there are some Devs out there with the kit making and emulator or even Commercial games it's up to them to try and hype them but it's not likley to happen unless they have something impressive to show. The hardware itself is simply selling on the reputation of it's previous system, that much should be obvious.

Back