It is possible to port Ikemen?

Xcl4m4t10n

Advanced Member
Hello people,

Just here trying to learn a little more about the huge "port-world" :D . I was wondering if Ikemen can be "easily" port in theory to pandora. As I can see at the .txt it use:

glew32.dll, libfreetype-6.dll, libogg.dll, libvorbis.dll, libvorbisfile.dll, lua52.dll, SDL2.dll, SDL2_image.dll, SDL2_ttf.dll, zlib1.dll

As far that i know, all these libraries are compatibles. Also it use LUA, but the thing that disconcert me is that there's no Linux port yet available. I don't know if it is because it is a non-well known software or whatever, but nowadays is the more advance and compatible MUGEN clone that exist.

I am pretty curious in order to know if a theoretical port would be possible, at least, for Linux, optimal, for Pandora. And yes, I know that "everything" is portable and blah, blah, blah, but you know, i am talking a relative easy port ;D.

EDIT: Ops, the website:

http://sourceforge.jp/users/supersuehiro/pf/ikemen/wiki/FrontPage

Last edited by a moderator:
No, everything is not portable.  Without source, nothing can be ported, except by doing an extremely expensive static conversion (such as Notaz did with Starcraft).  And so far nobody's done that with a windows program, as far as I know (Starcraft used the DOS version).

However, if I've found the right 'Ikemen' it looks like we do have source, albeit fairly windows-centric source, so until someone cares enough to port it to Linux, and then to Pandora (adjusting keyboard inputs and so on), it's not going to happen.  But I note there is a 'port to Linux' ticket open on its sourceforge page, so you never know.

No, everything is not portable.  Without source, nothing can be ported, except by doing an extremely expensive static conversion (such as Notaz did with Starcraft).  And so far nobody's done that with a windows program, as far as I know (Starcraft used the DOS version).

However, if I've found the right 'Ikemen' it looks like we do have source, albeit fairly windows-centric source, so until someone cares enough to port it to Linux, and then to Pandora (adjusting keyboard inputs and so on), it's not going to happen.  But I note there is a 'port to Linux' ticket open on its sourceforge page, so you never know.
 Well to be fair to the argument it is difficult to do what Notaz has done, but there never was a DOS version of Starcraft or Diablo... He is using an ARM version of WINE to handle the Windows bits for his recompilation.

Edit: Noticed that 3xcl4m4t10n has added a link to the source...

Well, I was talking if the source is available, of course. Also maybe you answer before my edit but i had writte the url of the project. And the ticket about Linux port is mine XD.

It is very window-centric but to be fair, it used a lot of "Open" tools and it have available the source code. Pretty surprising for me.

It use GLEW, so I guess it's an OpenGL software (so glshim will be needed).

Based on SDL2, so the windows -> linux shouldn't bee too difficult, but the File loading section may have to be adapted.

I looked (quickly) at the source forge site, but, I must ask... what is ikemen???

I looked (quickly) at the source forge site, but, I must ask... what is ikemen???
Sorry for forgot about that: Ikemen is the only functional MUGEN clone that is still on development. It can run almost perfect the most complex MUGEN creations, i need to check it further but it run Evil Ken at a high rate (98% more or less). It would be true love to see a nice MUGEN clone running on the little pandy.

We have a port of PainTown

According to the PainTown site, it has a MUGEN engine. I don't know if the Pandy build has the MUGEN engine in, or even how to use it. It's one of those things that I've been meaning to check out for a loooong time...

Edit: Still, I wouldn't argue against having Ikemen and would definately be on my list of "things to try"

According to the PainTown site, it has a MUGEN engine. I don't know if the Pandy build has the MUGEN engine in, or even how to use it. It's one of those things that I've been meaning to check out for a loooong time...

Edit: Still, I wouldn't argue against having Ikemen and would definately be on my list of "things to try"
Yeah, but sadly the implementation of MUGEN engine on Paintown is very poor. To get an idea, the Paintown engine can run correctly between 10-20% of mugen creations meanwhile Ikemen can run mostly the 100%.

Yeah, but sadly the implementation of MUGEN engine on Paintown is very poor. To get an idea, the Paintown engine can run correctly between 10-20% of mugen creations meanwhile Ikemen can run mostly the 100%.
Is this compatibility based on the Pandora port of Paintown? We have version 3.4ish which supposedly only had MUGEN support 80% done.

I wonder if we can get the Super Smash Bros mod running...

Is this compatibility based on the Pandora port of Paintown? We have version 3.4ish which supposedly only had MUGEN support 80% done.

I read that % and personally I think it is pretty wrong. Basic characters like the ones based on One Must Fall 2097 have big issues. Other more complex like DragoClaw are impossible to play with :( .

I read that % and personally I think it is pretty wrong. Basic characters like the ones based on One Must Fall 2097 have big issues. Other more complex like DragoClaw are impossible to play with :( .
Have you tried the more recent releases of paintown on you desktop to see if compatibility has improved? If so, perhaps we should ask sebt3 if he can update his port.

Have you tried the more recent releases of paintown on you desktop to see if compatibility has improved? If so, perhaps we should ask sebt3 if he can update his port.
 Yes, in fact i contacted with the creator of Paintown and he dropped a newer version on the forums. But it have the same % compatibility (or a barely improved one).

I tried building a "recent" (recent at the time, though this was a while ago now) version, but I didn't succeed.

I tried building a "recent" (recent at the time, though this was a while ago now) version, but I didn't succeed.
Wo, what a bad news :( But thank you for try it. Are the source code outdated? Because the last binary is from some days ago.

Wo, what a bad news :( But thank you for try it. Are the source code outdated? Because the last binary is from some days ago.
Not quite sure what you're referring to here. PainTown for the Pandora was built in 2011, and has v3.4.0.
The PainTown site refers to v3.6

Not quite sure what you're referring to here. PainTown for the Pandora was built in 2011, and has v3.4.0.

The PainTown site refers to v3.6
Sorry if I not explained pretty well: I was talking about Ikemen, not about Paintown, was you talking about Ikemen or about Paintown? XD

Sorry, crossed wires. PainTown :)

I've never actually seen Ikemen, though when I get some free time, I'll try and have a look, but I wouldn't hold my breath

Back