Issues with updating

Autoremove’s not *that* safe - as Linus Tech Tips just found out...

I do read all of the blurb but if I don't understand it then the default for me is to accept it. Now these days I've been around linux so long that I recognise about half of packages by name, and have an opinion, but for users with no special knowledge I can't see any other way than saying try it and see. Perhaps it's a good idea to learn how to roll back an upgrade however.

At least I’m now have a Firefox Account, so if I would screw up my Debian, and I have to put a new on the Pyra I don’t lost the Bookmarks ^^ I played some Atari, GBA and GBC on the Pyra this afternoon and it’s works still ^^

Unless you are running short on space, apt autoremove really isn't necessary. It's safest to just leave the packages installed, which is what apt does by default. But if you want to do it, I recommend saving what they were somewhere in case you need them later.

The way dependencies are calculated, especially with "meta" packages, sometimes the autoremove is incorrect in my experience.

Sorry, I have not been focusing much on the pyra lately and I should probably have done a proper report. That said, the gpg key was the problem there.

@matzesu

if it removed pyra packages, you can find them in synaptic by searching for "pyra" and tell it to look at names only

@Phlyra

Autoremove’s not *that* safe - as Linus Tech Tips just found out...

That wasn't autoremove. Though, the bullseye upgrade basically did to my pyra packages what his steam install did to his xorg. Perhaps stranger since I was able to reinstall them after the upgrade.

Sorry, I have not been focusing much on the pyra lately and I should probably have done a proper report. That said, the gpg key was the problem there.

@matzesu

if it removed pyra packages, you can find them in synaptic by searching for "pyra" and tell it to look at names only

@Phlyra

That wasn't autoremove. Though, the bullseye upgrade basically did to my pyra packages what his steam install did to his xorg. Perhaps stranger since I was able to reinstall them after the upgrade.
True but it can have much the same effect?

I tend to think copy&paste is safer than typing in by hand, although it's always possible to screw both up.
Actually, copying text from an (untrusted) site and pasting directly in a terminal is very dangerous.
See an example here: http://thejh.net/misc/website-terminal-copy-paste

If you don't want to type a complicated command by hand, I recommand pasting in a text editor first to check nothing strange comes up.
There exists also programs that will show you directly the content of the paste buffer.

Back