Codec pack not installing on 1GHz

batfastad

Hi everyone

Just got my 1GHz upgrade Pandora and trying to install the codec pack but it's just not taking it.

Tried dropping the PND in the pandora/menu and pandora/desktop folders and no luck. Have re-downloaded and confirmed the md5 from a PC download.

At least I assume they're not installing, I was expecting some new icons in the Multimedia menu of XFCE.

Anything else I need to try?

Manually executing from a root terminal or something?

Cheers, B

This takes a while to install and it seems like it's not doing anything for a while.. It's supposed to have installed Gnome-Mplayer.. Hmm perhaps try log-in and out? If not full reboot.

You can try to reboot the pandora if it dosn't show up in the menu directly. Happens sometimes.

Also the command to start a pnd manually is:

pnd_run /media/YOURSDCARD/pandora/WHERETHEPNDIS/YOURPND.pnd

Reactions: nik
Once the PND is recognised, you'll need to go to System -> Community Codec Pack Installer to install stuff.  It's not automatic.  PNDs sometimes take a minute or two to be recognised, but you can force the issue with a reboot if you don't want to wait.   If the "Community Codec Pack Installer" isn't showing up after a reboot, then you'll need to re-download the PND (worst-case scenario: download using a PC, transfer to Pandora via a SD card).

I should confirm that the PND appears to be correctly recognised in the System menu and Desktop.

The installer loads, asks if I'm allowed to use the codecs, installs for a minute or two, then gives me a couple of boxes saying finished, and that I should now have Gnome Mplayer installed..

But when I look, there's no sign of Mplayer or anything new in the XFCE menus.

Is there a way I can check to see if it has actually installed?

There's no additional icons in any menus.

I have tried copying from PC to SD card. The md5s match on the Pandora and the file on my desktop. The PND appears to launch and install. But no end result.

I have just tried running this from the command line with sudo and here's the terminal output: http://pastebin.com/fuk2kwdy

But I get the full GUI, installing, finished etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to install mplayer seperately. Its on the repo. The codecs if i reemember right, are just to get video and sound running in various applications etc. Its the same for audacious (music player)

Openpandora does not have the legal right to pre-install them on the pandora as its a commercial device.

Open a terminal, and on the command line type "mplayer". That'll confirm if mplayer is installed. "GNOME Mplayer" should also appear in the Multimedia menu, I think.

Typing mplayer in a terminal does work, it lists the command options. Mplayer version is listed as SVN-r30165-4.3.3
But there's no GNOME Mplayer in the Multimedia menu.

Is this what you're referring to in the repo?

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=package.smplayer2
Weird how you seem to got mplayer, but not GNOME Mplayer.  It might not be something to worry about for now though, as the versions in the repo have been optimized for the Pandora and so have much better playback ability.  I use smplayer2 myself (the one you linked too), but there's also PanPlayer http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=PanPlayer

The core binary is the same, it just depends what frontend you prefer.

If you *really* want to know why GNOME Mplayer isn't installing, you could mount the CodecPack PND manually (using something like "/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p /media/SDCARD/pandora/menu/CodecPack.pnd -m"), navigate to where it mounts (something like /mnt/utmp/CodecPack/), and try to install it (something like "sudo opkg install gnome-mplayer_1.2.3-armv7a.ipk" - you'll be able to see exactly what it's called).  Sorry for being a bit vague - I don't want to install the Codec Pack myself because I've no use for it and it's a sod to uninstall again.  This would just be to satisfy your curiosity though, nobody actually uses GNOME mplayer.

I've installed Audacious and DeaDBeeF for audio and MP3 and FLAC files play perfectly.

Also installed smplayer2 and VLC and both AVIs and MKVs play perfectly too.

So I guess that means the codecs are installed correctly?

I'm not that bothered about GNOME Mplayer if it's not something that people tend to use these days.

I'm so pleased that video plays perfectly. One thing that's annoyed me about watching video on portable devices like my PSP and phone is that I always have to convert to specific format/resolution but the Pandora just played 2GB movie in MKV format without any problems.

The sound quality is absolutely unreal out of the earphones! Best audio quality of any portable device I've ever heard.

What a little gem of a device this is :D

Back