Issue with left nub on brand new Pandora

esoderberg

Still Fresh
Hi!

I´m new to the Pandora. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Pandora Rebirth Edition in Platinum from DragonBox. It was a christmas present so I didnt open it until 2 days ago. Immediately after opening it I noticed that the left analog nub was very sticky and hard to move, comparing to the right nub which is working very well. Anyway I started up the Pandora and everything seem to be working really nicely, except the left nub. The nub works and registers movement, but it is a pain to use.

I already sent a ticket and an message through DragonBox "Contact Us".

Now I´m asking you, everyone in the community. What can be the cause of this issue? Can I fix it myself? Or must I send it to Germany?

Hmmm, totally weird.

Another one with a left nub issue. The nubs are exactly the same (we don't even have left or right nubs, only a box with nubs which are soldered to the PCB), but it always seems to be the left nub causing issues on new units.

Weird, really weird.

Anyways, for a fix, try this:

1. Push the case around the nub down a bit. It might hit the case when moving, which might be what you call hard to use.

2. If it works but is a bit stiff, I suggest you try to use it a lot at the beginning. Usually, the nubs become more soft upon usage, so maybe this already fixes it for you.

Hmmm, totally weird.
Another one with a left nub issue. The nubs are exactly the same (we don't even have left or right nubs, only a box with nubs which are soldered to the PCB), but it always seems to be the left nub causing issues on new units.
Weird, really weird.

Anyways, for a fix, try this:

1. Push the case around the nub down a bit. It might hit the case when moving, which might be what you call hard to use.

2. If it works but is a bit stiff, I suggest you try to use it a lot at the beginning. Usually, the nubs become more soft upon usage, so maybe this already fixes it for you.1. The case is not the cause of the problem. Pressing around the nub does not help.2. I´ve actually played Nintendo 64 Emulation for a couple of hours with it and it doesnt get better. It was very hard playing because you have to press it with a lot of force to get it to got all the way to the edge. The nub does not always respond either when pushing it in some directions when youre playing.
EDIT:Maybe you, EvilDragon can fix this problem. Can I send it to Germany to get the nub repaired?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed some odd behavior as of late on my left nub, very similar behavior, but not entirely sure if it's the same... I notice it more with N64 emulation, on the XFCE desktop the cursor seems to go slower when moving in some directions. For some reason powering down and back up temporarily fixes the issue, but will return after a short while. I haven't noticed this issue on my first batch Pandora, just my rebirth.. It could be hardware related, but I swear I didn't have this issue until I updated to the newest Super Zaxxon.. it may just be coincidental though.. I need to do more testing and I haven't done a real good test on my first batch Pandora..

I've noticed some odd behavior as of late on my left nub, very similar behavior, but not entirely sure if it's the same... I notice it more with N64 emulation, on the XFCE desktop the cursor seems to go slower when moving in some directions. For some reason powering down and back up temporarily fixes the issue, but will return after a short while. I haven't noticed this issue on my first batch Pandora, just my rebirth.. It could be hardware related, but I swear I didn't have this issue until I updated to the newest Super Zaxxon.. it may just be coincidental though.. I need to do more testing and I haven't done a real good test on my first batch Pandora..
It is not any software issue. When moving the nub and when I listen carefully the nub sort of scratches against the surface beow which doesnt make it smooth. I think I need to send it in to Germany, but I just need to know which adress I wil send the Pandora to.

I will send it to OpenPandora GmbH tomorrow. Then the nub can be repaired or the Pandora be replaced by the mighty Evil Dragon himself.

I have a unit sitting here that I didn't ship that has this issue.

I was able to push the case down around the nub and it stopped this issue.

A few days later, it was back, as if the case popped out of where I had pushed it.

I pushed it back in.  I'm setting it aside to see what happens over time.

Yet another one.

Brand new Rebirth Pandora, left nub has been acting wrong. It's inaccurate and the cursor is slow in some directions. N64 games are unplayable due to its spastic behavior.Not hard to move though, no physical resistance. Nothing wrong with the right nub.

I can't be certain but I think it's a hardware issue based on how it behaves. My PSP's nub did the exact same thing when it started going out. However, the fact that it's always the left nub simply screams software issue... is there a way to downgrade the OS to see if that's the issue?

Quite the puzzler. Anyone got any ideas?

I have the same issue, I think it's possible to downgrade the OS just for a test, I plan to give it a try..

If you got a Rebirth unit, hold R and boot up the old kernel.

The OS itself has nothing to do with the driver, it's simply the kernel.

If you got a Rebirth unit, hold R and boot up the old kernel.

The OS itself has nothing to do with the driver, it's simply the kernel.
Doing this immediately. Thanks.

EDIT: Worked right for about 5 seconds after boot then started being stupid again. Same thing that kernel 3.2 did. This is becoming exceedingly annoying. Any reports of it happening on the 1GHz unit or only the Rebirths?

I'm gonna upload a video of its behavior with the input tester in a moment. 

Both on the 1GHz as well as on the Rebirth, but only the left nub (and someone reported it seems to not happen with Slackware... weird).

I'll try to release a minimal booting OS soon with the input tester included, based off the one we use for official testing.

Would be interesting to find out whether this has something to do with the full OS running.

Mine does the same, but I assume it's just the dynamic recalibration kicking in. If I do the nub dance a few times it comes back. If I try it out in the input tester, it's clear the nub just isn't reaching one of its extremes numerically, even though it's fully at its extreme physically.

Mine does the same, but I assume it's just the dynamic recalibration kicking in. If I do the nub dance a few times it comes back. If I try it out in the input tester, it's clear the nub just isn't reaching one of its extremes numerically, even though it's fully at its extreme physically.
This is what I thought as well, but then why does the right stick act differently? Shouldn't the dynamic recalibration work identically for both sticks?

Bump... this is the only problem I'm having with the handheld at the moment, I want to get it fixed. Is turning off the dynamic recalibration possible/practical?

Always or until you reboot?
This made me realize that it had been ~2 days since I had shut down my Pandora. Restarting the handheld made it go away. 

However, right before restarting my left stick had started to show far worse signs. For example, moving the stick to the left made it move to the upper-righthand corner of the screen very slowly, and the other directions were barely functioning. 

So what we know is that it's a software issue that builds up/worsens over time, resets at reboot, and only happens on the new units...

I actually recieved my unit today (1ghz) and the left nub physically gets stuck at the lower left extreme, and also seems to be insanely oversensitive.

Hm, we're now testing all units ourselves once again after they have already been tested by GC.

So it SHOULD work, unless something fails during shipping.

Please check they are not physically hitting the case (and push it down at that area to prevent that).

About the sensitivity: Do you mean the mouse moves too fast? That can be changed in the nub settings,

Back