Release ISO Optical Drive

PowerGod

Forum Addict!
== BETA ==

With this program the Pandora can be used as an external CD drive, just select an ISO image to use.

It works like "SD-Mass storage", so credits goes to EvilDragon, and Neelix for his idea here.

Anyway it is not so much tested, and DOESN'T WORK AS A BOOT DEVICE :(

Please report here if you were able to use it as a Boot Device.

Any additional info is welcome. :)

ISO Optical Drive download

Last edited by a moderator:
problem I'm having is that my computer reports the pandora as a malfunctioned device for some reason... same with SD-mass storage mode...

problem I'm having is that my computer reports the pandora as a malfunctioned device for some reason... same with SD-mass storage mode...

Did you get the error while leaving the message box "Optical drive emulation enabled" open ?

no, right when I plugged it in the laptop. scratch that, it worked :D

so far, I am able to copy all the files in the iso without any issues but still no dice as a bootable device...

hmm... looks like its a hit and miss on my side...

In my laptop, it gave me an error saying that delayed write failed and when I reconnected the pandora, it reports it as a malfunctioned device...

Something up with the USB driver on the pandora's side?

@Takedown: have you unmounted the device before unplug the cable ?

Did anyone tried to make a Linux Live USB key using an SD with mass storage instead ? Does it load on boot ?

I don't have spare SD to try right now... :(

I've tried CD-ROM mode, didn't work as reported(for booting). I haven't tried removeable drive mode just yet, but I can't imagine that'll hold the MBR content it'd need to boot.

Woah is that a cool Idea,i can use that for Windows Installing,because i have a thirt PC without CD-ROM Drive :p

Edit: Oops readed to fast,they work on it :)

I have to try this thing better... but I almost killed my PC last time after 30 reboots... and the worst part is that I'm unable to exclude HD boot from the BIOS... so everytime the USB boot fail, Windows 7 Start loading.... (I resolved putting a WinXp CD in the drive... so at least I have time to stop HD booting... and I don't want to open the PC to extract the HD at every test...)

In some time I'll have an old P3 so I'll can use it for this type of tests :)

Maybe i can use this for Diablo2 and other Games who needs Original CD ^_^

I dont like Daemon Tools so ^_^

Maybe i can use this for Diablo2 and other Games who needs Original CD ^_^

I dont like Daemon Tools so ^_^

Yeah for me worked fine for this type of things, but for Diablo2 you don't need a CD anymore cause one of the last OFFICIAL patch removed the need for it ;) You just have to copy some files from the CD (I don't remember names, read the changelog of the last patches for instructions) and it's not needed anymore.

EDIT:

Code:
- Patch 1.12

Downloadable Installer Support

- If all required Diablo 2 '.MPQ' files are installed on the

hard drive, the game will no longer require the CD to play.

For users that originally performed a 'Full Installation'

and wish to run without the CD, all '.MPQ' files should

be copied from the Diablo 2 CDs to the Diablo 2 directory.

Most users will only need to copy D2Music.mpq from the

Diablo 2 Play CD and/or D2xMusic.mpq from the Lord of

Destruction CD. Mac users will need to copy these music

files and rename them to 'Diablo II Music' and

'Diablo II Expansion Music' respectively.

Anyone who did not perform a 'Full Installation' will need

to re-install from CD again to ultimately play without the CD.

In this case, a 'Full Installation' is required, followed by file

copy step noted above.

Hey PowerGod

my Pandora is waiting for me at home when I get there Friday night I can do some beta testing.

Is there a way I can get a debug log for that script.

Have not actually played with it yet if it like a standard Linux system I should be ok.

And is there a particular setup I should look at I have several old systems I can play with p2-p4 that should boot from usb pluse my laptop. This would be a very cool little app and it would make my 30 cd recovery folder ancient history.

P.S. Sorry for grave digging but I love this Idea.

I've done a bit of a testing, I think I posted earlier in the thread. It's not so much that the script is broken, it looks perfectly fine and the virtual drive it creates behaves like a normal drive should for the most part. However after some googling of the issue we're having it seems more like an issue with the gadget driver in use, and unless someone skilled in that sort of area (linux driver coding) takes up the task, I'm not sure if this will ever be fixable. I'd like to cite my sources, but google is not turning up the stuff I found when I was originally trying this script out.

@Dev45: as Titcher explained, the problem lies in the usb gadget driver itself, so if you are (or you want to become) skilled with linux driver problems, this documentation might be useful to you http://www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/gadget.html

@Titcher: maybe you were referring to this conversation http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/24911

I do know nothing about linux drivers, so for the moment I just have to try every possible flag or parameter the driver can use, but in case no one takes the role to resolve this I'm documenting on how this whole thing works, and maybe one day I will correct the code... but it will require a lot of time

Is it possible that you change gksudo into gksu please ?

For a reason i can't explain (because gksudo is a link to gksu), your .pnd doesn't work under Slackware.

Debugging manually, i found that using gksudo was the cause of it.

Back