Release Brasero

mcobit

Advanced Member
As someone on irc wanted to use an external dvd-burner, I ported Brasero.

http://projects.gnome.org/brasero/

brasero.png

Pnd here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,335

As I can't test it with an actual burner, as I don't have one, please test this, whoever has one.

What I could successfully do is creating iso images.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must be going mad at present as I could have sworn I'd seen a reply to this app on either forum where someone expressed that it was failing to find their DVD drive.

Anyway, thanks for the port but here's my experience:

As I toyed with buying an external DVD drive I realised I had an old internal LG Multi Drive laying about and a spare ext HDD caddy. I had no idea if it would work so gave it a whirl. Of course the old drives eject mechanism had seized but I got it working again and via a hub it didn't appear to be recognised as a device.

However I stuck a DVD RAM disc into it and it appears as a MEI_UDF on the desktop and works just fine (surprising as I thought that's the format it will struggle with) as re-rewritable storage via drag and drop. This will make a decent shared environment between my laptop and the Pandora hopefully, avoiding SD mass storage.

I can play any files from it/write to it etc. However Brasero cant see it. I then tried blank DVD-R and again not seen.

If you place a commercial DVD movie in, it appears on the Desktop correctly named, with a DVD Disc Icon but MPlayer, VLC and XMBC cant see the drive, so cant launch it. Neither can Brasero :)

From the desktop you can open the drive as a folder to browse its Audio_TS/Video_TS folders but the icons have a Padlock symbol over them and clicking VOB files launches MPlayer but they don't play, just stopping after making the windows. Going fullscreen F11 doesn't help either.

Panplayer.....can see the drive labeled by the relevant DVD movie name and allows access selection of the video_ts folder, it goes to start (goes to desktop) but then returns to the same selection screen. I had found Panplayer the only media player to play VOB files personally and from ext HDD VOB's play fine as I imagine they will if on DVD RAM disc. Panplayer cant see the .ISO DVD I was going to burn though and cant play that from HDD.

So no external DVD playing/burning here as of yet.

Is there anything I can post in terms of outputs that will help to solve this issue? I imagine it might do this for other people regardless of drive type/model media used etc. Though then again there's already been people successfully demo films run from ext DVD players, so I'll shut up and hope they chime in aswell :)

Cheers for the port though, as this will be very useful in future :)

Hi, thanks for testing.

I am not sure, why some programs can't see the drive. Also, as said, I don't have one myself. And yes, there was somebody with similar problems. He had I/O Errors and couldn't even access his drive.

As I toyed with buying an external DVD drive I realised I had an old internal LG Multi Drive laying about and a spare ext HDD caddy. I had no idea if it would work so gave it a whirl.

I think the conclusion is that it doesn't work, probably because the USB wrapped around your internal drive declares it to the USB master as a HDD device type.

It would explain why you see it on your desktop as a drive, and can read/write from it using the ATAPI interface when there is an actual media behind. However software that explicitly look for CD/DVD devices fail to see it, as the OS believes it to be a HDD.

So your made-up device, however useful for other uses, doesn't seem relevant regarding the Brasero port.

That sounds highly likely the technical explanation :) I'll get an external one shortly and give it a proper go then. Will be useful once the tv out cables are shipped.

I tested this as well with an external dvd burner.

The OS sees and can read dvds, but Brasero can't.

However, I found it even stranger that none of the media players that I tried (Panplayer, VLC, Gnome media player) would play a video dvd. You would think that at the very minimum, the vlc port would retain vlc's dvd-playing capabilities. It would have been pretty cool to be able to watch a dvd from the pandora.

I tried Brasero with a Samsung SE-S084C external USB 2.0 Slimline 8X DVD Writer and the drive is not recognised by Brasero. Also, it looks like I can only use the DVD writer to read data discs as it goes into read only mode.

That's too bad, maybe there is something that prevents the app in a pnd to interface the hardware properly.

As I don't have a drive to test, maybe someone with one could pick this up. It wasn't too hard to build, just disable documentation.

I'd suspect that the real issue here lies in the device detection system. As the expectation of an external optical drive may not have been thought of in the development of things within the Pandora OS, maybe this is something that should be looked into for HF6 or HF7 implementation. Not sure personally if HAL or udev is being used, but whichever may just need to be re-compiled with the proper support added. If it could be as simple as that, then the opkg itself could be uploaded somewhere for testing until it was approved and integrated into the next HF to come out by that time.

Back