Release ISO Optical Drive

This may seem like an odd idea, but have you tried loading the module with the parameter removable=1 to see if the bios will like it better and boot it as a removable drive?

Just a thought...

- Neelix

This may seem like an odd idea, but have you tried loading the module with the parameter removable=1 to see if the bios will like it better and boot it as a removable drive?

Just a thought...

- Neelix

I tried like every combination of parameters i found... but it was always ignored... I'm waiting to receive another old PC to use for this, cause I almost killed my main PC after so many reboots

Just for future reference, you can use VMWare (probably virtualbox too) to test this. You just download plop boot manager: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html , mount the ISO as a CD-ROM in the virtual machine, tell VMWare to mount the USB device, and then hit USB boot inside plop. This should then attempt to boot whatever you've mounted and hopefully it'll work. This saves constant rebooting and is pretty compatible with USB booting overall.

I don't have vmware, but I tried with virtualbox, and windows seems to keep usb devices for himself... :(

You can mount USB devices from Windows into a VirtualBox machine. It's in Settings->USB, and there's "Device Filters". Add one for whatever the Pandora registers as, and you should be okay :)

I managed to boot tiny core linux (12 Mb) several times but when I re-select the iso, it stops working completely and have to reboot the pandora to get it working again... gonna try slitaz next to see if I get somewhere...

All the 400+ mb images won't even mount on the pandora... so far it's not looking too good...

Yup, didn't get too far booting a big image... half way booting, the pandora dissapears and xubuntu is giving me a ton of read errors... seems like there is a file transfer limit or a driver bug in the pandora because It can't fully start xfce...

Sorry, but I can't follow you... I can't understand what are you trying to do... what do you mean by "booting" ? Were you able to actually start a PC using Tiny Core Linux from the Pandora ?

Then it failed and ubuntu started loading giving errors ?

All the 400+ mb images won't even mount on the pandora... so far it's not looking too good...
So "ISO Optical Drive" gives some error when you select ISOs bigger than 400mb ? (you can see them inside the file /tmp/pndrun_iso_optical_drive.out)

Or maybe you are just trying to copy the ISO on the NAND ?

I was actually able to boot tiny core without any issues but with a bigger image, the pc gives me a ton of errors saying unable to read from source of something like that. The app can mount the images but it doesn't show any errors on the pandora. It just dissapears and the pc starts to send errors.

Here is the .out

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/PANDORA/pandora/apps/iso_optical_drive.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/PANDORA/pandora/appdata/iso_optical_drive
APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED :
EXENAME : iso_optical_drive.sh
ARGUMENTS :
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/iso_optical_drive"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PANDORA/pandora/appdata/iso_optical_drive=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/iso_optical_drive=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/iso_optical_drive"
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application (iso_optical_drive.sh ) ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Starting the application (iso_optical_drive.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/iso_optical_drive': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 1

Maybe it's linked to the available memory ?

Is it possible to mount the .iso, then export the /dev/loopX ?

@Takedown: can you try to use a swap file before using the bigger image ?

@LinuxSWAT: I will stay away from a (Desktop) PC for a while, but I will try to play a bit with the script while away

I tried it a few times but I don't see any change in the ram usage using system info... I'm not sure what's causing the mount to fail in the pandora... Don't see anything particularly odd in dmesg but I'll keep on testing to see if anything comes up.

Hmm i have a Idea..

..can i use this to connect to the Pandora itself?

I start the CDROM Emulation and the Pandora OS mean it have a USB CD Drive installed?

Does that work to connect the USB Host from the Pandora with Activated USB Networking to USB OTG Port?

When that work can we use a Qemu Option to use "REAL" CDROM Drives ^_^

Then can we have Qemu Multirack CD Support on Pandora :rolleyes:

Its just a Idea,mean you that work? Or may i destroy my Pandora when i direct connect from USB-Host to OTG? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm i have a Idea..

..can i use this to connect to the Pandora itself?

I start the CDROM Emulation and the Pandora OS mean it have a USB CD Drive installed?

Does that work to connect the USB Host from the Pandora with Activated USB Networking to USB OTG Port?

When that work can we use a Qemu Option to use "REAL" CDROM Drives ^_^

Then can we have Qemu Multirack CD Support on Pandora :rolleyes:

Its just a Idea,mean you that work? Or may i destroy my Pandora when i direct connect from USB-Host to OTG? :D
I doubt it...  I can't get the pandora to read CDs from a regular drive let alone a simulated one.   (though it can read DVDs from the same drive)  I suspect a fault in the CD drivers in the kernel. (or a lack of them) 

That being said,  if that issue could be worked around it would probably work.  I have actually successfully accessed an SD card in the past by loading it in SD Mass Storage mode, then connecting the two USB ports together and reading it as a USB device. (and this is using the same kernel module) :)

- Neelix 

Just some news on the argument I found on the net (http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg75902.html)

Seems like someone is trying to update the gadget driver to make it working as a boot device, but there are limits:

- It still can emulate CD only

- The CD can be 255 minutes max

- The DVD can be used only as a CD but with the same 255 minutes limit

Woah cool,but how many MB are 255 Minutes?

A normal CD Image is about ~700 MB

Yehaaahhh,Pandora as a PC Iso Boot Device.

I am Curious about your Project :)

actually the limit is 1152000 sectors which is a theoretical limit of ~255 minutes, which in turn (very roughly) equals 2318 MB

Back