Is This Server Worth It?

saintdragon

Website
Visit site
well im still on my bros computer, hopefully fix it tommorow, if not il kill myself!

anyway my friend has a server, the model it called "compaq proliant 3000" and is saying 100 quid which is really cheap? well the rrp is £700 and the one he is offering me has more hard drives!

so, its well worth it? im asking because i dont know much about this stuff, i see its got 2 gigas of ram though(not too sure if its this model :s), i want it so i can host cs servers which are dedicated which mean il leave it on, if needed il upgrade some of it...

thanks...

saintdragon posted on Aug 23 2005 at 02:50 PM said:
well im still on my bros computer, hopefully fix it tommorow, if not il kill myself!

anyway my friend has a server, the model it called "compaq proliant 3000" and is saying 100 quid which is really cheap? well the rrp is £700 and the one he is offering me has more hard drives!

so, its well worth it? im asking because i dont know much about this stuff, i see its got 2 gigas of ram though(not too sure if its this model :s), i want it so i can host cs servers which are dedicated which mean il leave it on, if needed il upgrade some of it...

thanks...
naa i wouldnt touch it, although it was a nice box 7 years ago dual pci bus internal drive space for 10 hotplug scsi drives, it can take a second processor pentium 3 i think sub 700Mhz any how oh and its physically large and very noisey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh, lots of people are telling me its a no no, dam, i wouldnt be able to find a suitable server for around that price ever, goddait why doesnt money grow on trees?(rhetorical!)

saintdragon posted on Aug 23 2005 at 06:03 PM said:
Yeh, lots of people are telling me its a no no, dam, i wouldnt be able to find a suitable server for around that price ever, goddait why doesnt money grow on trees?(rhetorical!)
whats your budget? and do you have any old hardware?

dunno what the bugget is really, anything around 100 quid but i may bump it to around 150, i know its not allot but thats all i can collect...

sam fisher posted on Aug 23 2005 at 09:54 PM said:
saintdragon posted on Aug 23 2005 at 05:58 PM said:
yeh, dsl is out of date now :(
no you just have shitty DSL and you need upload not download! for a server.

its not that its shitty because iv d/l with it sometimes at 500+ kbs(dont ask me how) but its cause my brother usually leaves his computer on, because he is d/ling somethoing...

ok, i wanna persuade my bro to get 8 mb :D

but is there anyway i can make a website with it and host it? so it doesnt have like freewebs on it, or cjb.net etc.... i just want ".com" is that possible in anyway?

guess what just happened!

a man came to my house randomly, now we are signed up to bulldog 8mb broadband LMAO, isnt that bloody luck!

its £17.50 for 8 mb and landline, fuck there amazing, me = happy!

You can host the webpage yourself with apache or equivalant. And the .com thing, you have to pay get that registered, it's not much I hear, like £7 a year or something, I don't know of any good registrars though, I'm sure someone will tell you one.

Titcher posted on Aug 24 2005 at 06:29 PM said:
You can host the webpage yourself with apache or equivalant. And the .com thing, you have to pay get that registered, it's not much I hear, like £7 a year or something, I don't know of any good registrars though, I'm sure someone will tell you one.

thanks allot, they also added sky digital for 13 quid a month, none of it goes up(as in prices)

ok, that'll be kooooool! Also il need to put like a afliate for your site on the links thingy!

EDIT* holy macaroni! its up, wo0t, though i have to wait till my computer is working till i get more content on it!

Back