Is This Ok?

PSyMastR

\m/O__O\m/
Website
Visit site
At a website, they were discussing the gp2x and people started talking about how DS homebrew is better, and one person said they had a gp32 and asked me how it was. Here is what I posted. Is this stuff correct or did I get a lot wrong.

EclipsE posted on May 31 2006 at 04:24 AM said:
I owned the original GP32 and it was the king of homebrew, however since the launch of the PSP, many of the homebrew developers have left the GP32 and GP2X and work on PSP projects.

So psymastr, how is the homebrew scene on the GP2X, any really good emulators for it?
Lets just say its amazing lol. Right now, the gp32 (Ive got a blu+) still has some emulators that aren't on the gp2x yet, but anyway. Here is the current status on my 4gb sd right now:

DrMDx (MegaDrive, Gamegear, Master System Emulator):
Megadrive - Fullspeed on 99% of games with sound and FS0. Very very few games have a graphical glitch (Lemmings and Lemmings 2 has a flashing background drawing problem thats about it)
Gamegear - Fullspeed on 100% of games with sound at FS0 at 66mhz.
SMS - Basically same as gamegear.

MAME: Full support for .35d, and most games run fullspeed, a few neogeo games are laggy, but you can play them on the NeoGeo emulator (seperate)

Neogeo: Amazing emulator, almost 100% compatability (meaning no graphical glitches), and when I overclock my gp2x to 249mhz, everything basically runs at full speed with FS0 and sound. Metal Slug 4 & Metal Slug X lag a bit.

NES: There are two versions being made currently, one has fullspeed and sound, but low compatability, the other is fullspeed at FS2 (ouch) with 100% compatability.

Vice 1.19 is basically fullspeed (a few games go to 55fps) on the c64, and c128, I haven't tested.

And there is so much more, such as a TurboGrafx16 that is updated almost daily, and its fullspeed with sound currently, he just has to release it with the sound enabled, we have the unenabled one released, because vobbo is cleaning up most of the code for a source release as well.

And besides the emulators, the homebrew is AMAZING. Vektar is a game similar to Geometry Wars, and its going commerical soon, but the 1.0 free release is amazing to play. Beat2x is a DDR clone with L + R buttons as well as arrows, its amazing (Ive released 3 DDR song packs for it adjusted for the gp2x with the L+R buttons, and have more to come, this game is AMAZING) many many good homebrew games, I cant list them all, ok, here is some off the top of my head, Tilematch, LevelShump, bah, so many.

Oh, there is also ScummVM that runs everything from the latest release very well, I think 100% and includes like 100's of savestates.

Ya, there is also neogeopocketcolor and uaeforall, and stuff.

There are also interpreters for Doom, Dukenukem, Hexen, Quake, Quake2, and some other games.

Its really amazing. Its like christmas every day lol. And actually, many many PSP devs are coming over to the gp2x as they are getting sick of sony's stand towards homebrew, and sites like pspupdates which ripped apart the community. Anyway, overall its really amazing, oh, did I mention that the TV out support is amazing, Its like playing the games (SNES/NES/etc...) as if I had the console. Oh ya, SNES, really good, its improving, as the author is writing an asm core for it.

Anyway, this is really long, but I hope it helped.

EDIT: If you are going to buy the system, please do NOT use liksang, as they have sent out many defective units and crap. They also are always badmouthing it and stuff, its basically as if they dont even want to sell it. Use play-asia.com, gp2x.co.uk, gp32z.com, or gp2x.de. Those are your best bet. Also, even if in america, gp2x.co.uk is where i ordered it from, craigix is the main guy since the GP32 era, and he gives random extras and other stuff, plus is very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds a pretty decent description to me. At any rate, the system that requires obscure, expensive, failure-prone flash linkers and cartridges that must be ordered from untrustworthy companies in Hong Kong and have software that seems to have been written by a 4-year old and perpetually broken drivers will always be the inferior system for homebrew development, regardless of its specifications.

So I guess the fact that the GP2X's CPU, RAM and display functionality beat out the DS sort of makes it a clincher, doesn't it?

We should make sort of a gp2x propaganda page advertising the system, showing advantages to other systems in terms of homebrew, emulation and community. Maybe something that sports the screenshots by DaveC and such. Something which sums up the current development status so people can easily read up on it without beind confused by older news and fanboi bias...

At quick glance, it seems off about NES emulation too. GpFCE has very good compatibility, and runs at fullspeed FS0 with sound with most games.

PSyMastR posted on May 31 2006 at 06:27 PM said:
Oh ya, SNES, really good, its improving, as the author is writing an asm core for it.

Really? I didn't know that it was still being worked on. (by Reesy, I guess?). I sure hope that if a new version is realeased, it supports old savestates. I am almost done with Earthbound, and that is a loooooong game. :p

Seriously though, that list should remind us all how grateful we should be.

xnopasaranx posted on May 31 2006 at 05:23 PM said:
We should make sort of a gp2x propaganda page advertising the system, showing advantages to other systems in terms of homebrew, emulation and community. Maybe something that sports the screenshots by DaveC and such. Something which sums up the current development status so people can easily read up on it without beind confused by older news and fanboi bias...

I should make a GP2X propaganda ME!!, just need to make a backpack that is a plexiglass cube and set the GP2X inside it and let it play movies, it would be awesome.

Just need to find out where nerds congregate, hmm Tron, Star Wars, Star Trek and Lord of The Rings midnight screenings ought to do :p ;).

Come to think of it I need to get my Tron 20th anniversary edition into Divx. Did anyone see the latest PC Magazine that did a piece on digital effects, did everything short of actually worshipping Lucas, and to top it off left only a sentence on Tron, BOOO!!!.

Realistically I think I will see if there is a computer club on my campus, those eggheads should respect a superior console when they see one. I got the "Yo dat as PSP's?" already, had to resort to showing it to the cool kids in my class, it didn't hurt that I Divx'ed a couple of clips of Neve Campbell and Denise Richards making out, also one of Selma Blair and Sarah Michelle Gellar sucking face ;) :D. (finally these lecherous-appearing smilies are useful.)

You can inform the guys about USB Host and TV-Out function too. These are main advantages of GP2X. Also you can tell it runs web server, samba server, telnet and ftp server too. More than a game console!

xnopasaranx posted on May 31 2006 at 06:23 PM said:
You could always add content to the GP2X Wiki page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gp2x

Back