Is There Any Difference Between Omap 3430 And Omap 3530?

Phawx

Professional Derailer
Wikipedia says the only difference is that OMAP34x and OMAP36x are distributed directly to large handset (such as cell phone) manufacturers, while the OMAP35x is a variant of OMAP34x intended for catalog distribution channels.

Seems kind of silly to have a different number based on that alone. I know the difference in OMAP36x is using a smaller process.

But is there some secret sauce difference between OMAP34x and OMAP35x?

I remember that when they first announced that we would actually be using the OMAP 3530, we figured out the difference. It was only a slight difference. If you want to know about it, I'd suggest you look for it in the Our New Machine Topic.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
In the interests of trying to stay pandora related, Some manufacturers seem to have different quality leveles for their products. As if to say if you want this product but anret willing to pay a higher price for it we have a budget version which may have a few quirks. So a version they can sell to the general public like the ones they have for pandora or a more refined one that they do more QA testing on or use higher quality materials on for big companies to make sure they have fewer issues on large product runs.

It happens in almost every market from video cards to tvs and cars to portable screen LCDs.

The 3430 has got a smaller ball-pitch and additional components only needed for cellular applications. So basically they are the same just for different audiences.

Actuall I've always wondered what it would take to mod it into a cellphone. I mean obviously a Cell antena and a sim card slot but how tough would it be to create a mod like that for the pandora or any portable computing device for that matter? (although with the open nature of the Pandora I wonder if it wouldnt be easier in general.)

If you do a quick search on TI page you'll find out that the 3430 is lacking the DSP and that is the only difference.

@Kevin_H

Thanks. The wiki page is inaccurate then.

Actually I seem to remember Palm stating that openpandora had ran a build of WebOS on one of the Pandora dev boards with relatively little effort I think it was on engadget a while back

Trying to imagine holding a Pandora to my ear.. would it be open or closed?... Probably better as a video-conference box, or a "Cell-Phone Server" to bluetooth headsets.

Still though, it would be great if someone could do this (probably not given the need for professional soldering machines to replace the chip) then I could only carry my Pandora and not have computing capability spread all over my body so as to make a Borg think it was excessive.

I personally don't see why comparisons of the Pandora hardware to related hardware is off topic. Regardless if it was stated previously or not (that it was off topic). Remember when threads would be closed because they went off topic, even though it was a natural evolution of a conversation? We're here to discuss things, and that should be allowed if it is not disruptive.

I think it was stated previously with the intention of reminding people this is the section of the forum for Pandora and while devices with similar/same architecture can be discussed in relation to the Pandora, any of discussion of such a device would belong in the off topic section.

then I could only carry my Pandora and not have computing capability spread all over my body so as to make a Borg think it was excessive.
I'd just go with the bluetooth personally. I suspect if we could get some sort of internet phone call ing thing set up it'd work out although I doubt it could be set to vibrate and you'd always have to be near an accessable wifi hotspot. if you couldnt get a sim card attachment cobbld together.

I think it was stated previously with the intention of reminding people this is the section of the forum for Pandora and while devices with similar/same architecture can be discussed in relation to the Pandora, any of discussion of such a device would belong in the off topic section.
Or other consoles :)

Of course, you can bring other consoles into the discussion, but they shouldn't be the main focus.

Oh well, if no-one else is going to say it... The Difference Between Omap 3430 And Omap 3530 is 100.

Back