Is there a music player that lets you use shoulder buttons as play/pause?

j0e

I'd like to be able to pause my music without having to pull my pandora out of my pocket, open it and press a button. Out of the ones I've tried already, Audacious and DeadBeeF both don't let you map shift or control as buttons on their own (only in conjunction with another key) and Rockbox has them mapped to rewind and fast-forward with no option of changing. Does one exist? Cheers guys

Last edited by a moderator:
In rockbox, Enter is play/pause, the shoulders and cursor left/right are next track, prev track or ffwd/rwnd with long press and cursor up down is volume control.

I'm pretty sure this was configured like this for the pandora specifically? Are there no cfg files somewhere?

Looks like just what I was looking for ekianjo, but sadly blindplayer fails to start. Here's the relevant lines from /tmp/pndrun_blindplayer.out:

Code:
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( run.sh  ) ----------
[?1034hTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 24, in <module>
    p=mplayer.Player()
  File "/mnt/utmp/blindplayer/mplayer/core.py", line 109, in __init__
    self.spawn()
  File "/mnt/utmp/blindplayer/mplayer/core.py", line 322, in spawn
    close_fds=(not subprocess.mswindows))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1249, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( run.sh  ) ----------

Is there any way to get more verbose error reporting (what file it was looking for, etc)? I'm running super zaxxon 1.72 and I've got the codec pack downloaded from this page installed.

deadbeef can be configured this way; I mentioned how to do it in the deadbeef thread I think. It takes a bit of tweaking config files to do it, but it does work. I just don't use it like that because the case I carry my Pandora in tends to press the shoulder buttons.

Personally I have configured the bottom row of the keyboard, so to pause the music I must unzip my case, open the lid slightly, pop the back edge to the shoulders aren't being pressed then press 'c'.  If I'm carrying the pandora loose, I can just about manage to open the lid in my pocket and locate and press 'c' by touch, using the one hand ('c' is five letters from the left; the sequence is , . z x c)

Jeah thats quite sad, becaus the GMU rules... it really does. I will contact wejp maybe he is still somehow active... 

Looks like just what I was looking for ekianjo, but sadly blindplayer fails to start. Here's the relevant lines from /tmp/pndrun_blindplayer.out:

Code:
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( run.sh  ) ----------
[?1034hTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 24, in <module>
    p=mplayer.Player()
  File "/mnt/utmp/blindplayer/mplayer/core.py", line 109, in __init__
    self.spawn()
  File "/mnt/utmp/blindplayer/mplayer/core.py", line 322, in spawn
    close_fds=(not subprocess.mswindows))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1249, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( run.sh  ) ----------

Is there any way to get more verbose error reporting (what file it was looking for, etc)? I'm running super zaxxon 1.72 and I've got the codec pack downloaded from this page installed.

mmm that's strange because it's working fine for me on 1.72...

Did you select a folder that has mp3 files in it ?

The error happens as soon as I start the program with no prompts to select a file or anything. Am I supposed to pass command line arguments to the pnd or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
The error happens as soon as I start the program with no prompts to select a file or anything. Am I supposed to pass command line arguments to the pnd or something?

Nope, it's supposed to start by showing you a file dialog... strange it does not work for you, I did a reflash for 1.72 and it worked fine right after.

I gave sebt3's solution a go and it looks like the buttons weren't correctly mapped at all. pndrun_audacious.out gives this info:

Code:
[ START ]--- Starting user configured pre-script ----------
/media/pndapps/pandora/appdata/audacious/PND_pre_script.sh: line 2: keycode: command not found
/media/pndapps/pandora/appdata/audacious/PND_pre_script.sh: line 3: keycode: command not found
/media/pndapps/pandora/appdata/audacious/PND_pre_script.sh: line 4: ENDL: command not found
[ FAILED]--- Starting user configured pre-script ----------

And when I tried running PND_pre_script.sh manually through the terminal, I get this:

Code:
nix@nixpand:/media/pndapps/pandora/appdata/audacious$ ./PND_pre_script.sh 
/bin/sh: can't open xmodmap - <<ENDL

Perhaps there's some formatting error or something that used to work but now no longer does due to a recent firmware upgrade. I'll have a fiddle around with the scripts later today and see if I can get it to work.

Tried it and got the same error. The fix is easy, and an extra enter and keep the hashbang clean, like so:

#!/bin/sh
xmodmap - <<ENDL
keycode 62 = Shift_R NoSymbol Shift_R
keycode 105 = Control_R NoSymbol Control_R
ENDL

However, be careful with pressing the shoulder button, your battery and SD cards might eject.
soundwave-tapes-animated.gif

Yep, I found that out myself yesterday night but was too busy to update it. Putting a new line between #!/bin/sh and xmodmap did the trick and I now can use audacious with the shoulder buttons :)

cheers guys!

Back