Is The Tv-out Only For Video-mirror?

Ringo

Website
Visit site
I was wondering if anybody who know anything about the GP2x, knows if the TV-ouy ONLY is able to mirror what you already see on the GP2x's screen....
or if it is actually possible to display something completely different on the TV than what's shown on the GP's display.

The question came up because I suddently saw potential in the whole TV-out-idea...
The thought was having some sort of strategic party-game, where several GP2x are linked and the a gamemap/statusscreen is shown on TV while each player has his own "secret" info on his own screen.

Well... I was thinking along the lines of Nuclear War when the idea came ;)

A little more down to earth idea could be a movieplayer where the displayinfo is displayed on the GP while the TV shows the movie... or perhaps a musicplayer with visualisation on the TV...

Anyway... if this is possible it does open some doors for some rather innovative apps/games.

We don't have cables yet, but you can switch between the TV and screen in software, so you could sort of do what you have planned.

DS EMULATION !!!!

... with no touch screen :p

also i think the power difference between the 2 machines is not big enough to emulate :p

AFAIK the gp2x display turns off when you are using the tv out and vice versa. so you can't use both displays at the same time.

I had a nice post written and then the site didn't load after I posted so it disapeared...

Anyway, I've been thinking about using a sinle unit connectet to a TV to play turn based games between multiple players allowing for hidden information on the screen and then using the TV to see the results. This would work even if you can't use separate images on each as long as you can switch between the screen and TV. It would be a lot better with separate images though.

Back